Sci-Fi and Fantasy Recommendations

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
DontForget2BAwesome
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Sci-Fi and Fantasy Recommendations

Post by DontForget2BAwesome »

Everyone knows K. A. Applegate for her series "Animorphs," but she actually has another series called "Everworld" that is one of my favorites. It has alternate universes, mythology, and teenage angst all rolled into it. I really enjoy this series, even now as an adult. The only problem is that they can be hard to find, but you can get them on Amazon. Check out used bookstores and large libraries too.
Faervarean89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faervarean89.html

Post by Faervarean89 »

A suggestion for a fantasy read, though is more a teen but I still rather enjoyed the series : Aprilynne Pike's Wings series.
Brief description a young teen learns she is a faerie and must stop the villains from destroying her human world, and the world she belongs to. It put a new perspective on faeries and that they aren't little creatures with wings either. 4 books in the series and are quick but very enjoyable reads.
DontForget2BAwesome

Post by DontForget2BAwesome »

Oh, I also recommend "Wings," I love that series! I totally forgot about it haha!
AlexisDaniels
Favorite Author: B.E. Wilson
Favorite Book: Highway to the Stars series
Currently Reading: Awaiting the release of Blood Red Sky
fav_author_id: 2284

Post by AlexisDaniels »

Since this is a recommendation thread, I'll toss one out but remember I am biased. lol Give B.E. Wilson a chance. He's a new Indie author who wrote Highway to the Stars. We know there are grammatical errors in this first book but see how you like the actual storyline if you don't mind. There will be a professional editor used for all future books guaranteed!

Mods, please delete if this crosses any lines. I really like this forum, it's good information.
Darling_Reads
Favorite Author: Ken Follett
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darling-reads.html
Latest Review: "Emmie of Indianapolis" by Kay Castaneda
fav_author_id: 3559

Post by Darling_Reads »

I really enjoyed the Republic of Thieves by Scott Lynch. I did not realize that it was a second book in the Gentlemen Bastard series. I look forward to reading the Lies of Lock Lamora and Red Seas Under Red Skies. Game of Thrones is an amazing series and the show is fun too. So many characters to fall in love with in that one. I am definitely looking forward to George R.R. Martin's next book in the series which should be out soon!
Latest Review: "Emmie of Indianapolis" by Kay Castaneda
Grizzly

Post by Grizzly »

Read anything by Tim Powers.

Philip K. Dick is good too.
DickDatchery
Favorite Author: Shakespeare
Favorite Book: Crime and Punishment [Dostoevsky]
Currently Reading: The Bleeding Edge [Pynchon]
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dickdatchery.html
Latest Review: "XIANNE" by Jayce Grayson
fav_author_id: 9655

Post by DickDatchery »

I had a series recommended to me: The Book of the Long Sun by Gene Wolfe. I'm not getting into it too much yet--anyone know the author or series and want to give their opinion?
AslansCompass
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aslanscompass.html

Post by AslansCompass »

Neil Gaiman is brilliant, and he's written in many formats and genres, so he has something for everyone.
DickDatchery
Favorite Author: Shakespeare
Favorite Book: Crime and Punishment [Dostoevsky]
Currently Reading: The Bleeding Edge [Pynchon]
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dickdatchery.html
fav_author_id: 9655

Post by DickDatchery »

Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson is the best recent, literary science fiction I've read. Lots of imaginative action and an eclectic mix of intellectual fields (such as archaeology, history, linguistics, etc.), so it was right up my alley.
JaiD

Post by JaiD »

I love the Dragonlance series by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman. I really enjoyed them as a child and still read them today. Also author Robin Hobb is amazing.
GwenWood
Favorite Author: Kim Harrison
Favorite Book: The Harry Potter Series
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gwenwood.html
Reading Device: B01AZ7LT20
fav_author_id: 4193

Post by GwenWood »

ChrisSamsDad wrote:Hi, can anyone recommend any books that a big fan of Neal Stephenson (apart from Anathem) would like. I found both his early stuff, Big U and Zodiac to be wonderful, but the Cryptocommicon was my all-favourite. The historical ones were OK too. But prefered the cyberpunk/near future ones.

Have you read anything by William Gibson? Bruce Sterling?
LMR
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lmr.html

Post by LMR »

jenrobot2 wrote:If you like sword fighting, strong female protagonists, politics, philosophy and a whole heap of other themes, you should really read 'A trial of blood and steel' series by Joel Shepherd.
This series is awesome, both myself and husband both enjoyed reading it even though we prefer completely different types of fiction. Joel captures a whole interwoven world, and with it the differing nations/peoples and the differing view points of each. I am tempted to reread the 4 books when I finish the book I'm reading. The series is great reading and captivating.
2Friendly
Favorite Author: Rick Riordan
Favorite Book: The False Prince
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-2friendly.html
Latest Review: "THE EMPTY WORLD" by Andrew Reeves
fav_author_id: 2909

Post by 2Friendly »

I really enjoy anything by John Flanagan. He wrote the series The Ranger's Apprentice and The Brotherband Chronicles. They're written for a younger audience, but I've enjoyed all Flanagan's writings thus far.
I really love them too. And a similar series which I absolutely adore is The Ascendence Trilogy by Jennifer Neilson. The first book is called The False Prince, and the main character is legitimately one of the sassiest, funniest character's I've ever read.
Latest Review: "THE EMPTY WORLD" by Andrew Reeves
Magtuired

Post by Magtuired »

To start off with I have to recommend Philip Reeve's books. That guy writes some amazingly original books. Yes, technically they're 'Young Adult' books but in the past few years I've scarcely read a more enjoyable author, and I'm not really a young adult anymore.
Some of you might know of him already, considering he's won some major awards (especially in the UK and such).

They're half-way between fantasy and sci-fi I'd say, with some slight steam-punk influences (that genre usually baffles me).

I actually wrote a review about one of his books, 'Mortal Engines', when I was in college and posted it on Twitter for the laugh, and sure enough he read it and replied. Not only is he one of the only people to engage with anything I've posted on twitter, but he's also an exceedingly decent person it seems!

The most recent books I've read are 'Fever Crumb' and 'A Web of Air', which are the first two books in a prequel series. The former is a cracking good read, it almost felt like one of those 'classics' I neglect to read so I can escape into science fiction and fantasy worlds. Has a whiff of real-world revolutions about it; think Paris in 1789 or St. Petersburg in 1917.

So, have any of you read his books?
Alison97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alison97.html

Post by Alison97 »

I absolutely loved The Lathe of Heaven by Ursula K. LeGuin. The whole thing's very surreal and just a touch eerie/terrifying. Whatever the protagonist dreams somehow becomes reality, and if it's something incompatible with the past, then the past gets altered, too. For instance, if he dreamnt of a purple rhinoceros, a purple rhinoceros wouldn't just show up, but all of evolutionary history would be altered so it resulted in purple (instead of gray) rhinoceros. Every documented sighting of a rhinoceros would be altered to include a purple, rather than a gray, rhinoceros, and so would the memories of everyone who had ever seen a rhinoceros. Like I said, it's pretty freaky.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”