Sci-Fi and Fantasy Recommendations

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ryan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ryan.html

Re: Sci-Fi and Fantasy Recommendations

Post by Ryan »

Brave New World by Aldous Huxley is a great science fiction dystopian novel and it's beautifully written. I only read it last week and I loved it! :)
"Reason is intelligence taking exercise. Imagination is intelligence with an erection" -- Victor Hugo.
sophie_mcmaster
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sophie-mcmaster.html

Post by sophie_mcmaster »

i just finished Of Shadow Born by Dianne Sylvan. Its a part of a great series called The Shadow World. I would recommend it to anyone who likes vampire noels :)
Also the Lux series by Jennifer L. Armentrout i found really addictive. great storyline :)
bookwrm22
Favorite Book: any book that someone took time to write
Currently Reading: Sherlock Holmes + Percy Jackson series
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookwrm22.html

Post by bookwrm22 »

Life as we Knew it by Susan Beth Pfeffer
I just found out this was part of a series, can't vouch for the others but I do intend on reading them.

-- 13 Oct 2014, 16:32 --

Life as we Knew it by Susan Beth Pfeffer
I just found out this was part of a series, can't vouch for the others but I do intend on reading them.
hannah_Z

Post by hannah_Z »

Two very good science fiction authors I've been getting into lately are Octavia Butler and Tananarive Due. I would definitely recommend Kindred. Amazing books.
sabakazi
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sabakazi.html

Post by sabakazi »

Try reading "Hunger Games" series. It is well written and quite interesting.
Syntheticaudio
Favorite Author: Scarlett Thomas
Favorite Book: The Holy Machine - The End Of Mr Y
Currently Reading: Apocalypse Z
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-syntheticaudio.html
fav_author_id: 26639

Post by Syntheticaudio »

One of the best contemporary sci-fi I've read recently is Robopocalypse by Daniel H. Wilson (and his other works, but that's a great starting point. Also a great compilation of short stories which I thoroughly enjoyed was With A Little Help by Cory Doctorow. Other books by him I had mixed opinions about but some were really very good.

I like a lot of classic sci-fi like Asimov, Herbert and Heinlein. But I'm sure they've all already been mentioned.
I want to stand as close to the edge as I can without going over.
Out on the edge you see all kinds of things you can't see from the center.

|Kurt Vonnegut|
vadadagon
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: Harry Potter series
Currently Reading: Emma
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vadadagon.html
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by vadadagon »

Very good Fantasy book although folks would have probably read it by now is

Incarceron - It's about an over populated world and a jail (pretty cool)
Sapphique - The follow up book to Incarceron
CrazieChameleon

Post by CrazieChameleon »

My favourite fantasy is the Bannon and Claire series by Lilith Saintcrow. It's rare to find an author who can create a female lead who is absolutely lethal while remaining perfectly polite and poised. The relationships are beautifully complex, and the author doesn't insult the reader by explaining the detail behind the concepts in the world that she's created - it's up to you to work out how it all hangs together.
andthemusicfades
Favorite Author: J.R.R. Tolkein
Favorite Book: The Lord of the Rings Trilogy
Currently Reading: Subject Seven
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-andthemusicfades.html
fav_author_id: 12163

Post by andthemusicfades »

I have to recommend the Halflings Trilogy. It's a story about half angels, love, and there is lots of adventure and suspense. While some would sideline it because it's technically Christian fiction, its such a great series and it really isn't preachy at all. Definitely one to pick up if you love angels and demons.
georgiagravel90
Currently Reading: Clockwork Prince

Post by georgiagravel90 »

One of my all time favourite Fantasy Series is the Abohorsen Triology: Sabriel, Lirael and Abhorsen, by Garth Nix. Nix creates a world which manages to encompass both the modern age and a realm of fantasy. These books explore magic in a whole new light. They are truly suspenseful; and the dabble in death of necromancy is scary yet oddly gripping! (who said reading can't produce adrenaline?!) I highly recommend these novels.
Lamisah
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lamisah.html

Post by Lamisah »

The "Rain Wild" books by Robin Hobb , gives Dragons a new life
rgellel
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rgellel.html

Post by rgellel »

My personal fantasy book series are from Shanna Swendson (at the moment!). There are a total of 7 books and each one is magical. These are all set in contemporary New York were magical creatures such as fairies, elves, trolls and wizards exist masked to the rest of the world as normal people. But sometimes a 'non-magical' human which is very rare can see right through their spells. Its sort of 'Harry Potter' but for adults. There is romance in the story although mildly. Unfortunately the last book of the series was written last year so no more new adventures for me to get lost in :(
HoneyB
Currently Reading: The Law of Moses
Bookshelf Size: 270
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honeyb.html
Latest Review: "The Whisper of Time" by Ute Carbone

Post by HoneyB »

Karen Chance's series called Cassandra Palmer - A wild world of fantasy and supernatural beings and places with vampires, ghosts, witches, portal hopping and outrageous adventure. (I'd say YA and Adult since it also has romantic elements)
A book is a device to ignite the imagination.
~Alan Bennett
Latest Review: "The Whisper of Time" by Ute Carbone
JRosedale10
Currently Reading: TUCK

Post by JRosedale10 »

The Name of the Wind
This is a trilogy (with only two books at this stage) that i have fallen in love with because of Patrick Rothfuss' incredible style and amazing imagination. Normally i don't enjoy books that flip between two different time zones as this one does, but the interview style of the book makes it seem more like a memoir than just an ordinary story. The element of mystery that accompanies Kvoth, the main character, is ongoing and addictive, and the life he leads is so unfortunate its realistic, despite the fantastic setting. I would recommend this to anyone who likes a serious book to sink their teeth into (his style means you can't really skim-read, but his writing is so beautiful you wouldn't want to), and someone who doesn't mind waiting for the next book to come out. When you read NotW and the second book, The Wise Man's Fear, you can see why it takes him so long to write, as his prose seems utterly perfect, but appreciation of anticipation is essential.
TextOfLex
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-textoflex.html

Post by TextOfLex »

georgiagravel90 wrote:One of my all time favourite Fantasy Series is the Abohorsen Triology: Sabriel, Lirael and Abhorsen, by Garth Nix. Nix creates a world which manages to encompass both the modern age and a realm of fantasy. These books explore magic in a whole new light. They are truly suspenseful; and the dabble in death of necromancy is scary yet oddly gripping! (who said reading can't produce adrenaline?!) I highly recommend these novels.
I actually just started reading Sabriel. I'm 130 some pages in and loving it so far.

-- 08 Dec 2014, 00:15 --
JRosedale10 wrote:The Name of the Wind
This is a trilogy (with only two books at this stage) that i have fallen in love with because of Patrick Rothfuss' incredible style and amazing imagination. Normally i don't enjoy books that flip between two different time zones as this one does, but the interview style of the book makes it seem more like a memoir than just an ordinary story. The element of mystery that accompanies Kvoth, the main character, is ongoing and addictive, and the life he leads is so unfortunate its realistic, despite the fantastic setting. I would recommend this to anyone who likes a serious book to sink their teeth into (his style means you can't really skim-read, but his writing is so beautiful you wouldn't want to), and someone who doesn't mind waiting for the next book to come out. When you read NotW and the second book, The Wise Man's Fear, you can see why it takes him so long to write, as his prose seems utterly perfect, but appreciation of anticipation is essential.
I can honestly say that The Name of the Wind was my first "book hangover". I couldn't enjoy the writing of any other author for, what seemed like, months. His writing is magical and completely beautiful.

-- 08 Dec 2014, 00:25 --

My own personal recommendations would be the Grisha trilogy by Leigh Bardugo, Shadow and Bone (book 1), Siege and Storm (book 2), and Ruin and Rising (book 3).

In this series you meet two normal people who are thrust into a very abnormal situation crossing "The Unsea". The Unsea is similar to a dead sea that cuts through the center of the country. Once one crosses into the Unsea they are met with a vasting nothingness that brings monsters out for human and Grisha blood. The only people who can fight these monsters are The Grisha, people who were born into a sorcereric power.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”