Sci-Fi and Fantasy Recommendations

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
jordantyler91
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jordantyler91.html

Re: Sci-Fi and Fantasy Recommendations

Post by jordantyler91 »

I just finished "Bitten" by Kelley Armstrong and I would recommend AGAINST it. Simply because it was too painful a read for me. I had posted on goodreads that it is slow progressing, awful world building, annoying protagonist, and cliched, on top of it.

A potential disclaimer: My boyfriend had suggested it to me and said that the subsequent books get better. IF you can tolerate the first one, which I could not.

Another note: I loved Armstrong's "The Gathering" series. I'm not sure what this says about the author...
emilyxwebster1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emilyxwebster1.html

Post by emilyxwebster1 »

The best fantasy book series I've ever read is The Books Of Beginning trilogy by John Stevens. It centers around three orphans who uncover an ancient leather book that unravels into a story about deception, trust, betrayal, and friendship. The gist of the books are that these three orphans - Kate, 14, Michael, 11, Emma, 10 - have to save the world from an evil lord who wants to take away everything the world has. Along the way, they encounter everything from dragons and dwarves to trolls and wizards to giants and wolves and the terrifying Screechers ruled by the shapeshifting Lord Dire Magnus.
Jo Ledamun

Post by Jo Ledamun »

emilyxwebster1 wrote:The best fantasy book series I've ever read is The Books Of Beginning trilogy by John Stevens. It centers around three orphans who uncover an ancient leather book that unravels into a story about deception, trust, betrayal, and friendship. The gist of the books are that these three orphans - Kate, 14, Michael, 11, Emma, 10 - have to save the world from an evil lord who wants to take away everything the world has. Along the way, they encounter everything from dragons and dwarves to trolls and wizards to giants and wolves and the terrifying Screechers ruled by the shapeshifting Lord Dire Magnus.
Is this trilogy aimed at young adults or a slightly older audience?

-- 18 May 2014, 06:14 --

Can anyone recommend a sci-Fi / fantasy book which is a standalone read - ie: it's not part of a trilogy or series.
Not aimed at young adults, but at an older audience.
Thanks.
Corax

Post by Corax »

A Song of Ice and Fire.
doglvr

Post by doglvr »

I read this book in two sittings. Would have done it in one except for things waiting. It was recommended by someone In a general book discussion. If you loved Night Circus and The Golem and the Jinny this is for you. It takes place in Alaska and is about a couple who want to make a complete change in their lives after their baby is stillborn.

This is the author's first book and it is amazing. What the characters felt, I felt, and that's what a book should do.
jasonluthor

Post by jasonluthor »

Can authors recommend themselves :P lol
tomta20012

Post by tomta20012 »

Tree boy...

Two nameless angelic children seem to appear from nowhere and change the face of life on earth as we know it.

The children are something beyond what words can describe. Nobody knows who or what they are and even the children themselves struggle to comprehend the events that unfold around them.

The boy instinctively starts to transform into... well... that is a story you must read to believe.
jasonluthor

Post by jasonluthor »

You know what's a great fantasy cycle nobody ever talks about? The Chronicles of Prydain.
abhaym40

Post by abhaym40 »

My recommendation may sound dated but one of the best science fiction series is the FOUNDATION series by Isaac Asimov. One can start with Foundation series but MUST read the robot series (Elijah Bailey & Daneel) before reaching 'Foundation & Earth'. Brilliantly told stories with links which span thousands of years.. makes fascinating read
heidianne
Bookshelf Size: 1

Post by heidianne »

I just finished reading Dragon's Debt by H.L. Burke, and I really enjoyed it. It's not the most complex book, but the story is enjoyable. It's a quick read and it has a dragon as a main character. It's the second book in a series. I also liked the first one, but I liked the second book a little better.
cheryl4life

Post by cheryl4life »

One of my very favorite Sci-Fi series is the " Edge Chronicles" by Paul Stewart & Chris Riddell very unique
ohmira
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Abhorsen
Currently Reading: Dune
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by ohmira »

I believe someone already mentioned the author, but I highly recommend "Ender's Game" by Orson Scott Card. It will draw you in immediately!

-- 12 Jun 2014, 18:57 --

As for fantasy, I recommend the Abhorsen trilogy by Garth Nix: Sabriel, Lirael, and Abhorsen. The world building is original and creative, as is the plot.
pagenumber394
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pagenumber394.html

Post by pagenumber394 »

Leviathan Wakes (book one in the Expanses) by James A. Corey
Burden of Sisypus (book one in Brink of Distinction) by Jon Messenger
His Dark Materials (Golden Compass, Subtle Knife, Amber SpyGlass) by Phillip Pullman
The Lunar Chronicles ( Cinder, Scarlet, Cress, WInter) by Marissa Meyers
Enders Game books. I loved Speaker for the Dead. by Orson Scott Card
The Mars Trilogy (Red MArs, Green Mars, Blue Mars) by Kin Stanely Robinson
Hitchhikers Guide to the Universe by Douglas Adams
The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern
172 Hours by John Harstard
Event by David Lynn Goleman
heidianne
Bookshelf Size: 1

Post by heidianne »

Isn't Hitchhikers Guide to the Universe one of the greatest sci-fi books ever?
diggks58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diggks58.html

Post by diggks58 »

Kushiel's Legacy. Every book is really amazing in that series!

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”