Sci-Fi and Fantasy Recommendations

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
madiann65
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-madiann65.html

Re: Sci-Fi and Fantasy Recommendations

Post by madiann65 »

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series has become one of my favorites. Ford and Arthur's adventures are always a page turner!
Ashandarei
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashandarei.html

Post by Ashandarei »

Some of my favorite authors are Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and S.M. Stirling. I look for world's that I can immerse myself in. These authors have characters that, even if hero's of the story, are not perfect.
kl23
Currently Reading: The Rising
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kl23.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by kl23 »

Annmeeker wrote:Anything by Jasper Fforde, but particularly Shades of Grey. I don't know how he came up with such an imaginative world, but he can make you laugh out loud at the repartee between his characters. The world is complex, but he makes it seem so simple, and you get caught up in it quickly. Warning: It's addictive, and Book 2 isn't out yet.
Yes, loved Shades of Grey! Such a clever idea behind it, and totally addictive, just wish there was a sequel already!
zachbrown

Post by zachbrown »

im looking for adult male main character fantasy books that have sex, death and adventure. I have amazon unlimited so if you know for sure that its on there then BIG PLUS!
Nikush
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nikush.html

Post by Nikush »

I've read Eragon and Eldest along back, I've liked it, but I think Eragon was better than the Eldest. I'm going to read other 2 books, too. I hope they will be as goog as the first. :D I hope I will have time for it soon.
Imoan_17
Currently Reading: Far From The Madding Crowd
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-imoan-17.html

Post by Imoan_17 »

Sci-Fi recommendations
-The Maze Runner
-The Host
-The Divergent Series
:D
bookreviewer2016
Currently Reading: The Silent Corner
Bookshelf Size: 2910
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookreviewer2016.html
Latest Review: Pancake Money by Finn Bell

Post by bookreviewer2016 »

Urban fantasy: Kevin Hearne, Kalayna Price, Patricia Briggs, and Jaye Wells
Fantasy: Mitchell Hogan, M.J. Scott, and Terry Brooks

Those are just a few that I like. I'm reading Elliott James' IN SHINING ARMOR now (urban fantasy).
Beerfish

Post by Beerfish »

A bit of a polarizing author but I like most of what Larry Niven has out out, especially some of his earlier stuff.
doublek06
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-doublek06.html

Post by doublek06 »

I strongly recommend Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb. Fantasy is not my go-to genre, but I absolutely loved this book as well as all of her other books. I do not think I have ever read so many books by the same author back to back. The character development and storyline keep you consistently hooked. If you are looking for a wonderful epic fantasy author that may make you cry, Robin Hobb is someone you need to check out.
Bazaldua

Post by Bazaldua »

Sci-fi is my jam! I've had a few nice reads recently that think would be great for anyone, especially if they lean more toward space adventures or time travel, or a kind of medium-dark sci-fi.

Time Travellers Never Die - Jack McDevitt
Really thoughtful, as most books about time travel should hope to be, and pleasure to read. Doesn't skimp out on the time travel, either. If you're looking for a book that'll take you places, check this out.

John Dies at the End - David Wong
This book is dark, but all the horrifying descriptions and gruesome scenarios are lightened by some really great bits of humor.

Redshirts - John Scalzi
Its a book centered on a pop reference. Fun exploration into the lack of human regard on a crappy tv show. All around good read. You'll zip though this book.

Redclaw - Philip Palmer
The cover to this book is all in red and that is appropriate. Its set in an alien jungle. With marines and mad scientists, and a deadly AI.
Wasif Ahmed
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Currently Reading: The Face of Fear
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wasif-ahmed.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00THRCA6E
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Wasif Ahmed »

pendragonisgood wrote:I am pretty sure that the Pendragon series falls under the genre of fantasy. I read the whole series
1. merchant of death
2. lost city of farr
3. the never war
4. the reality bug
5. Black water
6. rivers of zadda
7. quillian games
8. pilgrams of rayne
9. raven rise
10. the soldiers of halla
Its about a boy named bobby pendragon and his "uncle" Press tilton. The night of a huge basketball game bobby makes out with the girl of his dreams. But Press comes to tell him people need his help. So together they travel the territories of halla all that there ever was and will be. Trying to save it from being taken over by Saint Dane. The travelers bobby, press, osa, loor, alder, saint dane, nevva winter, eli winter, spader, gunny, kasha, siry, aja, and patrick mac. Its up to the travelers and booby's friends mark dimond and courtney chetwynde.
I recently read the first book in this series and absolutely loved it. I can't wait to get my hands on the next book. :)
When people say you've changed, it just means that you have stopped living your life, their way.
Retro61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-retro61.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Retro61 »

All Fool's Day by Edmund Cooper

I would like to recommend a British author of sci-fi dystopian stories. In particular, All Fools Day. The author's name is Edmund Cooper and I would say he is a pulp science fiction writer. His stories are rather retro nowadays because the dystopian worlds he created, are usually an apocalyptic dawn envisaged from the 60s or 70s decade. All Fool's Day is rather simplistic yet compelling.

Edmund Cooper is not too well known today. When I started work in 1977, I often picked up his books because they had fanciful sci-fi covers and to be honest, the covers were what caught my attention. All Fool's Day was the first Edmund Cooper book that I bought. I read it during my commute to and from work. I later went on to read and enjoy many of his other titles.
Jackey_O
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jackey-o.html
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Jackey_O »

ChrisSamsDad wrote:Hi, can anyone recommend any books that a big fan of Neal Stephenson (apart from Anathem) would like. I found both his early stuff, Big U and Zodiac to be wonderful, but the Cryptocommicon was my all-favourite. The historical ones were OK too. But prefered the cyberpunk/near future ones.
I have never read anything by Neal Stephanson but it sounds like maybe Shovel Ready by Adam Sternbergh is something you might like. It is the first in a series, and is a genre blending thriller. It is sci-fi, thriller, noir-mystery.

It follows Spademan who used to be a garbage man but is now a hired assasin, as he solves a mystery and tries to save a young pregnant girl. It is set in a futuristic dystopian New York.

I really enjoyed it. It was what popped into my head when you mentioned Cyberpunk.

-- 04 Jan 2017, 10:02 --

I want to recommend Dark Matter by Blake Crouch! I just recenlty read it and it was mind blowing. It still gives me chills and a thinking headache months down the road.
William Alan Webb

Post by William Alan Webb »

Beerfish wrote:A bit of a polarizing author but I like most of what Larry Niven has out out, especially some of his earlier stuff.
Niven has written some excellent stuff, especially in collaboration with Jerry Pournelle.
Miche Sora
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Silence Fallen</a>
Currently Reading: Volatile Bonds
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miche-sora.html
Latest Review: "The Devil's Dragon" by Jason F Boggs

Post by Miche Sora »

zachbrown wrote:im looking for adult male main character fantasy books that have sex, death and adventure. I have amazon unlimited so if you know for sure that its on there then BIG PLUS!
Two of my favorite series fit that bill:
-Sandman Slim by Richard Kadrey (nephilim)
-Eric Carter by Stephen Blackmoore (necromancer)

You might also like Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter series by Laurell K Hamilton, if you want explicit sex scenes in your books.

Not sure if they're on Amazon Unlimited, as I don't use it.
Latest Review: "The Devil's Dragon" by Jason F Boggs

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”