Sci-Fi and Fantasy Recommendations

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
mupo2303
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Sci-Fi and Fantasy Recommendations

Post by mupo2303 »

My recommendation is for 'the night angel trilogy' by Brent Weeks, he truly is an awesome author and a credit to the fantasy world. This trilogy is about a young boy who barely scrapes by in the slums of the city and wishes to apprentice himself to a master assassin. the trilogy has some amazing characters, the story is full of twists and turns with a break neck pace, i loved every minute of it. this is his first series.Hhe has also started a second series known as the light-bringer series which is unbelievable, this guy just gets better and better building on what was already a very high bench mark.
JaimeGeorge
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaimegeorge.html

Post by JaimeGeorge »

Is Harry Potter fantasy? If it is, I recommend that, if it isn't... I still recommend it!
NCH
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nch.html

Post by NCH »

I wasn't really a sci-fi reader until I came across Dan Simmons' Hyperion series. If I am remembering right (because it has been a while since I have read them), there are 4 books in the series based in a futuristic world where life has inhabited many other planets. The first book is more of a prequel where he explains how the ruling group/government in the last three books comes to be. Then, the last three books revolve around individuals fighting against this ruling group/government. I am an individual that likes when I can really connect with the characters in a story and I was able to do that in all of these books. It was incredibly well written. Throughout the books, there was some technical jargon in there I didn't understand. However, I had no problem understanding the meaning behind what was being said without fully understanding the words themselves. I highly recommend this series and this author.
ohlahlaii09
Currently Reading: Burn for Burn
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ohlahlaii09.html

Post by ohlahlaii09 »

Lorien series :)
dbledeeas
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dbledeeas.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by dbledeeas »

I have recently read Vampire Shift by Tim O'Rourke. Also book 2 of the series, Vampire Wake. A very interesting take on vampires. I really enjoyed these two books and look forward to finishing the series.
Keith80
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2860">The Martian</a>
Currently Reading: The Gathering Storm
Bookshelf Size: 318
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-keith80.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Keith80 »

I whole-heartedly recommend "The Martian" by Andy Weir. This just may be the best hard sci-fi book that I have ever read. Weir gets everything right. His chemistry is flawless; his celestial mechanics are dead on; his computer skills are perfect; Math, Physics, Metallurgy, and Nutrition are impeccable. The story is full of action and suspense, but I was most taken with the way that everything was done for a logical, scientific, explainable reason. If the film is half as good as the book it will be a block buster indeed.
chocomeiske
Favorite Author: Ben Galley
Currently Reading: The Prey
Bookshelf Size: 4152
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chocomeiske.html
Latest Review: "The Last Bucelarii (Book 1): Blade of the Destroyer" by Andy Peloquin
fav_author_id: 11401

Post by chocomeiske »

I recommend the Emaneska series by Ben Galley.
Latest Review: "The Last Bucelarii (Book 1): Blade of the Destroyer" by Andy Peloquin
Vickistoner
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickistoner.html

Post by Vickistoner »

The noru book series is your best bet if you want to start to read a new series.
anonanemone
Favorite Author: So many...
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 24">Tinder Stricken</a>
Currently Reading: Outland Exile
Bookshelf Size: 901
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anonanemone.html
Latest Review: "The Shark in the Park" by Mark Watson
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by anonanemone »

marvelmite wrote:Big fan of Piers Anthony-On a Pale Horse (havent read the rest of the series, does anyone suggest it? Does it hold up past the first?)
Kurt Vonnegut-Sirens of Titan and Slaughter-house Five
(all of the above just take sci-fi in bizzare directions)
a little more traditional sci-fi id suggest is Dune. I know, kinda cliched but i found it to be amazing.
also suggest alternative future/post appocalypse books like The Road by cormac mccarthy, 1984 by george orwell, Farenheit 451 by ray bradburry, Brave New World by aldous huxley, and Lord of the Flies by william golding to look at the failures and strengths of human nature
I really enjoyed the Incarnation of Immortality series, which includes On a Pale Horse. I collected all of the books in high school. I also really enjoyed Mary Stewart's 'trilogy' on the early development and life as he progresses through the Arthurian legend. I think the first book is The Crystal Cave followed by the Hollow Hills.

On the Sci Fi side, Larry Niven's Known Space series and David Brin's Uplift series are awesome!

-- 10 Sep 2015, 19:58 --

Oops! The Mary Stewart books are about Merlin. That part seemed to get skipped :oops:

The Xanth novels by Piers Anthony are also good for younger fantasy readers. There is a lot of cute wordplay in these books.
Latest Review: "The Shark in the Park" by Mark Watson
ashersb
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashersb.html

Post by ashersb »

My personal favorite is the Dragonrealm books by Richard A Knaak. I fell in love with the entire worlds he had created. The books have four volumes but there are also so many more add-in books to the series. There are probably at least 15 books altogether. I am a huge sci-fi/fantasy fan and instantly loved his books.

They follow a character named Cabe. He is suddenly thrown into this world of magic, creatures, and people who want him died. He has no idea why, but through his journey of discovering the truth, he finds way more then he ever thought possible.

Richard A Knaak also wrote for Blizzard's Diablo, and quite a few of the World Of Warcraft books. If you love this Genre then i believe you will love The Dragonrealm volumes. They are great !!!
chocomeiske
Favorite Author: Ben Galley
Currently Reading: The Prey
Bookshelf Size: 4152
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chocomeiske.html
fav_author_id: 11401

Post by chocomeiske »

I wholeheartedly recommend Blade Of The Destroyer by Andy Peloquin!
Book2Book
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book2book.html

Post by Book2Book »

I'm currently reading a YA fantasy novel The False Princess by Eilis O'Neal and I'm really loving it! Not to spoil too much, but it's about a 16 year old princess who find out that she was adopted by the king and queen who sent their real daughter away. The premise almost reminds me of Sleeping Beauty in how the 'real princess' was sent away, and returns on her 16th birthday.
vg914212
Currently Reading: Secret Teachings of All the Ages
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vg914212.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by vg914212 »

From the Sci-fy/Fantasy style, I like very much Chronicles of the Warlands from Elizabeth Vaughan from book 1 to 4 and the Warlord Series from Michelle Howard
Brook
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brook.html

Post by Brook »

I've been reading some great old sci-fi, Pride of Chanur by Cherryl. Has anyone read anything else of his?
Joy77
Currently Reading: Sometimes Never
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joy77.html
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Joy77 »

I would rekommend Sherrilyn Kenyons The Leauge series. Its very diffrent from her Dark Hunter serie, but absolutly just as good. Its set in space, in an alternetiv universe with new worlds and planets. And she just dosen't write the books, she has diffrent languages for her people and post some of it on her website and fb, Twitter etc. Each book has a new hero and heronine. So its sci-fi, fantasy Romance. If you are looking for a great new read I would really rekomend this serie.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”