Sci-Fi and Fantasy Recommendations

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Sci-Fi and Fantasy Recommendations

Post by Scott »

Please use this thread to recommend or post short reviews of books that fall in the category of sci-fi/fantasy.

If you want personalized recommendations for this genre, make a post in this thread with a brief explanation about what type of other books or authors you like in this genre.

You can also recommend against reading books that you read but didn't like.

When recommending a book, it may help to make a concise description of the book. If you wish to write more than a paragraph about a book or series, please post a new thread dedicated solely to that book or series.

If you are listing a lot of books, it may be a good idea to briefly explain the list a little. (Are all the books part of a sub-genre? Do all the books you are listing have something in common? If they are your personal favorites in the genre, then briefly tell us a little about yourself and what types of books you like.)

Thanks,
Scott
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
sarascareermail
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by sarascareermail »

Two of my favorite fantasy writers are Laurel K Hamilton and Charlaine Harris. Both of these writers create an alternate reality in their series, in that vampires are a part of every day life. For some great book recommendations, check out:

http://blockedURL.blogspot.com/
Loops

Post by Loops »

I read a cool book a couple weeks ago that created an alternate reality too. It's called Terraem. You can read the first chapter at Terraem.com so you can tell if you'll like it.
Montetre'

Post by Montetre' »

Crazy!
Tracey Neal
Favorite Author: Nicholas Sparks
Favorite Book: The Hundred Dresses
fav_author_id: 2460

Post by Tracey Neal »

I have a very interesting sci-fi/fantasy/horror suggestion. It's called "The Other Side of the Mountain" (La montagne morte de la vie) Written by Michel Bernanos. Just click the link..it will take you to my Goodreads Profile..you can find my review on there.

http://www.goodreads.com/profile/Traytray
Trystne

Post by Trystne »

There is a new series out that has it's readers standing on their toes, it's

called Fallen Kingdom Book I: Rise of the Gods.

you can review the synopsis on the author's webpage called A.Mused

Publishing. There are also some impressive illustrations posted.
divengrabber

Post by divengrabber »

i would like 2 share sarah jane's "Invasion of the Bane".
thischarmingmanc

Post by thischarmingmanc »

divengrabber wrote:i would like 2 share sarah jane's "Invasion of the Bane".
why what where how ?

More information please
Traycee

Post by Traycee »

Can i recommend The Dwarves written by Markus Heitz.
Really good read which elevates dwarves from the role of side kick to actual hero of the story.
DiykhaniyeIzOsen

Post by DiykhaniyeIzOsen »

A really good series (albeit a long one with a second one in the same "Saga" just getting going) is the Noble Dead Saga by Barb and JC Hendee. The first book is called Dhampir. And don't ignore it just because it's a vampire series - I got my mom hooked on it and she hates vampire books!
ChrisSamsDad

Post by ChrisSamsDad »

Hi, can anyone recommend any books that a big fan of Neal Stephenson (apart from Anathem) would like. I found both his early stuff, Big U and Zodiac to be wonderful, but the Cryptocommicon was my all-favourite. The historical ones were OK too. But prefered the cyberpunk/near future ones.
emmauk007

Post by emmauk007 »

I am currently reading the first installment of the Outlander Series by Diana Gabaldon. Not being the most patient of readers I normally wpuld put down a book if after 30 pages it does not grip me, but with Outlander I decided to percevere and I am glad that I did. This is an enthralling tale of love, medicine, and clan politics in mid 17th-century Scotland. The central female character, Claire Randall, has been swept back in time after walking innocently into a stone circle shortly after World War II. A former WWII nurse, Claire makes her way in the fierce world of the clans through her medical skills and her blossoming relationship with a tall, red-haired Highlander, James Alexander Malcolm MacKenzie Fraser. By page 250, you will be in love with Jamie Fraser, too, mark my words! and will eagerly flicking through the pages. I just loved the history of this book also and I am thoroughly enjoying this book. Cant wait to read the next books.
ChrisSamsDad

Post by ChrisSamsDad »

why are sci-fi and fantasy books always lumped together, seems to me they are very distinct genres. Of course, there is sometimes a bit of overlap, but mostly not.

It really pisses me off to browse a sci-fi section in a bookshop, only to find 90% of the books are wizard/dragon based.
Dolphin

Post by Dolphin »

Fantasy : Piers Anthony, R.A. Salvatore, and Weis/Hickman
and ROBERT JORDAN.
Science Fiction: Orson Scott Card (simply amazing).
ChrisSamsDad

Post by ChrisSamsDad »

Dolphin wrote: Science Fiction: Orson Scott Card (simply amazing).
Do his right-wing political views come out in his Sci-fi writing? That was always a bit irritating about Robert Heinlein (Robinn EE Hitler as he was sometimes referred to as)

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”