Sci-Fi and Fantasy Recommendations

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
beautyspin
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beautyspin.html

Re: Sci-Fi and Fantasy Recommendations

Post by beautyspin »

All good recommendations but I am not seeing anybody recommend Peter Hamilton's Series - Reality Dysfunction, Neutronium Alchemist, Naked God and Second Chance at Eden. I am currently reading through the series. It has quite a brilliant plot, Plenty of Hard Science, Lots of exotic Xenocs, Clearly etched characters but above all the fantastic descriptions. The plot is unraveled in an unhurried manner and characters develop and mature slowly. The descriptions take the cake. Especially the ones about planets, asteroids, space stations ets, If you are a Hard Sci Fi fan, look no further. (Caveat, like all Hard Sci Fi fans, you need to suspend belief, which is true for fantasy novels anyway).

-- 08 Dec 2014, 21:13 --
Salliem wrote:I have just finished Steven Erikson's Gardens of the Moon, first in the Malazan Book of the Fallen saga. I can't think why I haven't read this before - it was published in 1999 - when it is exactly the type of fantasy I most enjoy: a completely realised world and multiple complex characters and story threads. Can't wait to get to the library to pounce on the next one, Deadhouse Blues, handily previewed in the first book.
I liked the first three or four in the series which are really outstanding. The characters Icarium, Karsa Orlong are two fantastic characters who standout even among the rest of the exciting characters. Descriptions are fantastic. The plot is developed in an unhurried manner and you can never predict what happens next. Anybody can die and the dead do not stay dead. The House of chains is really superb and 1500 mile journey of the Coltaine's army is really awe inspiring.Battles are very graphic and tactics are discussed at length so they are all interesting. The only problem I felt was that the last three or four tapered off for me. I felt that that since the author had announced 10 books, he tried making up 10 books. That is failing that I see with many epic fantasy novels. They only have plot material for about 5 or 6 books but they extend it to 10 books. Even his last novels of the series (which are not as good) are still better than some of the other's best so you can still them a go. So here's hoping you will enjoy the series.
Seabiscuit1308
Currently Reading: 30th Century: Escape
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-seabiscuit1308.html

Post by Seabiscuit1308 »

Does I, Robot count as Sci-Fi fiction?Or it's the star wars/trek type of genre?Either way I recommend classic Sci-Fi/Fantasy books as they are quite imaginative and the descriptive scenery almost realistic for their time.
Aspen_Reads
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice+ The Notebook
Currently Reading: too many to count
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aspen-reads.html
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by Aspen_Reads »

How Good is the Outlander series? I am hoping to start it in the beginning of next week(:
"I was born with a reading list I will never finish." -Maud Casey
dakota2743
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by dakota2743 »

ChrisSamsDad wrote:
Dolphin wrote: Science Fiction: Orson Scott Card (simply amazing).
Do his right-wing political views come out in his Sci-fi writing? That was always a bit irritating about Robert Heinlein (Robinn EE Hitler as he was sometimes referred to as)
No, actually. I've read several of his books, namely the ender's game series, and I haven't encountered anything about his beliefs. He does a great job of conveying the theme, though.
HoneyB
Currently Reading: The Law of Moses
Bookshelf Size: 270
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honeyb.html
Latest Review: "The Whisper of Time" by Ute Carbone

Post by HoneyB »

Aspen_Reads wrote:How Good is the Outlander series? I am hoping to start it in the beginning of next week(:
I'm reading The Fiery Cross now, little by little. The first 2 are my favorite so far. I am pacing myself and reading other books in between because of the length, but I'm really enjoying the stories - instantly one of my favorite authors.
A book is a device to ignite the imagination.
~Alan Bennett
Latest Review: "The Whisper of Time" by Ute Carbone
EpiTome

Post by EpiTome »

Some while back I had read the Bartimaeus Trilogy by Johnathan Stroud and found it quite fascinating up to the very end. At first I was skeptical if I was going to meet Harry Potter from an alternate universe but as it proves these books take their own personalities. They are a must read if you are a lover of magic, characters who actually mature, epic and tense battle scenes and constant otherworldly humor. The trilogy is set in London mixing different times and alternate histories of places, people and so on. I won't go on too long since it probably already has a million reviews but I would recommend this book. I would also recommend 'A Series of Unfortunate Events' by Lemony Snickett but.... sigh. Read if you dare.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I highly recommend the "The Martian" by Andy Weir, a unique book and a fresh read.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Melanie_Page
Favorite Book: All of them
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melanie-page.html
Latest Review: "The Serpent Beguiled Eve" by Acacia Slaton

Post by Melanie_Page »

dakota2743 wrote:
ChrisSamsDad wrote:
Dolphin wrote: Science Fiction: Orson Scott Card (simply amazing).
Do his right-wing political views come out in his Sci-fi writing? That was always a bit irritating about Robert Heinlein (Robinn EE Hitler as he was sometimes referred to as)
No, actually. I've read several of his books, namely the ender's game series, and I haven't encountered anything about his beliefs. He does a great job of conveying the theme, though.
I haven't read Enders Game (I know... My bad) but his fairy tale novel, Enchantment, is simply amazing. It is a whole new spin on the sleeping beauty but with a modern twist, wonderful poignancy and quirky humour.
Latest Review: "The Serpent Beguiled Eve" by Acacia Slaton
Janiac02
Favorite Author: Sarah Woodbury
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading: After Cilmeri Series
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janiac02.html
Latest Review: "A Cold Wind" by C. J. Brightley
fav_author_id: 3314

Post by Janiac02 »

I've read the first three books in the Sword of Truth trilogy by Terry Goodkind, and I would recommend this series to any lovers of the fantasy genre.

That is a grittier fantasy story, focusing on magical beings in a time when tyrannical rule makes magic obsolete. So far it has everything I would want from a fantasy book, including a unique love story, and plenty of action and suspense. One of my favorite things about this series is that the line between good and evil is not drawn so clearly as to make one person/entity so evil that all of the other characters seem pure by comparison. As a warning, some of the violence is pretty gruesome compared to what you might expect from the book description. Despite that, I've enjoyed visiting the world Terry Goodkind has created thus far.
Latest Review: "A Cold Wind" by C. J. Brightley
rrshank

Post by rrshank »

The griffin mage series by rachel neumeier
This is a very well written series. The author ges you into her world and lets you come to know the people. I hihhly reccomend this three book series to anyone who enjoys magic and adventure.
jnoel0908

Post by jnoel0908 »

Aspen_Reads wrote:How Good is the Outlander series? I am hoping to start it in the beginning of next week(:
It is amazing!! You won't regret picking that series up:)
epace

Post by epace »

Hi,
I am new to science fiction. Can someone please recommend some good books to read from the following sub genre of science fiction.
Utopia
Robots
Near future
Cyberpunk
Thanks
Himmelslicht
Favorite Author: Gabriel. G. Marquez
Favorite Book: One Hundred Years of Solitude
Currently Reading: Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-himmelslicht.html

Post by Himmelslicht »

Yesterday I finished Red Rising by Pierce Brown and although I don't read much sci-fi, I actually enjoyed it and I think I will read the sequel in the future.
It's very interesting if anyone's interested in Solar System, Mars and dystopia :P
"Travel makes one modest. You see what a tiny place you occupy in the world."
- Gustave Flaubert
Roanhu
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roanhu.html

Post by Roanhu »

I would recommend The Grey Griffons series.
aphrodite

Post by aphrodite »

I give this book four stars. Rick Riordan made this book pretty intense, but he lost a star because the end leaves you hanging by a twig. It took me two days to catch on, although I can't reassure myself that I really understand what happened. I couldn't make any sense out of the next book in the series. Also, it was way too easy for a summer reading project in 9th grade, which is why I read it.

-- 14 Jan 2015, 22:47 --

This book is 376 pages and I would give it 4 stars. This novel is a sequel, so most of it makes sense but the rest refers to book 1. It's the typical winter themed novel with mystically gifted humans. It's also part teenage love drama. It is a good read, and I would recommend it.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”