Sci-Fi and Fantasy Recommendations

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Harsh99
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harsh99.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Re: Sci-Fi and Fantasy Recommendations

Post by Harsh99 »

You also gotta read The Flood and First Strike. They're great as well. And I'm thinking about reading the Forerunners Saga now.
Priya12345
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priya12345.html

Post by Priya12345 »

Max Gladstone - urban fantasy series
R Scott Lynch - Locke Lamorra
Jim Butcher - Dresden files

-- 05 Apr 2017, 13:01 --
Bazaldua wrote:Sci-fi is my jam! I've had a few nice reads recently that think would be great for anyone, especially if they lean more toward space adventures or time travel, or a kind of medium-dark sci-fi.

Time Travellers Never Die - Jack McDevitt
Really thoughtful, as most books about time travel should hope to be, and pleasure to read. Doesn't skimp out on the time travel, either. If you're looking for a book that'll take you places, check this out.

John Dies at the End - David Wong
This book is dark, but all the horrifying descriptions and gruesome scenarios are lightened by some really great bits of humor.

Redshirts - John Scalzi
Its a book centered on a pop reference. Fun exploration into the lack of human regard on a crappy tv show. All around good read. You'll zip though this book.

Redclaw - Philip Palmer
The cover to this book is all in red and that is appropriate. Its set in an alien jungle. With marines and mad scientists, and a deadly AI.
Try 'Date night at Union Station' - it's a wry look at how the mudane would change in the future assuming:
1. space travel is normal
2. humans are far from the most evolved species
3. The ships computer runs a dating setup
Bit different from the norm - No great planet saving heroics, no adrenalin pumping struggles with evil emperors... This was light, intelligent and funny Sci-fi at its best
tnv456
Currently Reading: The Twelve Lives of Samuel Hawley
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tnv456.html

Post by tnv456 »

My all time favorite fantasy series is the A Court of Thorns and Roses trilogy by Sarah J Maas (only the first two novels are out now, although, the third book comes out in May).
The series follows a young woman named Feyre who lives in the human world plagued by fear of the fae who live on the other side of the wall that borders her village. Feyre is the only one who provides for her family and ends up accidentally murdering a High Fae and is taken as a prisoner to the other side of the wall. It is a loose retelling of Beauty and the Beast. I highly recommend this series!
ReadtoLive
Bookshelf Size: 531
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readtolive.html
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by ReadtoLive »

doublek06 wrote:I strongly recommend Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb. Fantasy is not my go-to genre, but I absolutely loved this book as well as all of her other books. I do not think I have ever read so many books by the same author back to back. The character development and storyline keep you consistently hooked. If you are looking for a wonderful epic fantasy author that may make you cry, Robin Hobb is someone you need to check out.
I really loved this book too. She's really good at creating intricate characters and interesting worlds. I want to read her "Tawny Man" series next.
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E Tavel, MD
Jennifer Allsbrook
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading: An American Hedge Fund
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-allsbrook.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon

Post by Jennifer Allsbrook »

Anything Brandon Sanderson. Loved Elantris, the Mistborn Triology, Warbreaker, The Way of Kings...all amazing.
Snowflakeswild
Bookshelf Size: 29

Post by Snowflakeswild »

I highly recommend the Sword of Truth Series, written by Terry Goodkind. The books and series is long but completely worth the time put into reading it.
Steph K
Currently Reading: The Hobbit
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-steph-k.html
Latest Review: Ever After by H M Irwing

Post by Steph K »

I love stuff in the paranormal romance genre, like the Sookie Stackhouse series. Can anyone recommend something similar?
Rebekah the Reader
Currently Reading: Dating an Alien Pop Star
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebekah-the-reader.html
Latest Review: Geraldine by Edmund M Aristone

Post by Rebekah the Reader »

11poopdude wrote: 17 Nov 2011, 21:17 I would recommend the book Graceling. Graceling is Kristin Cashore's debut novel, which has multiple starred reviews and is a New York Times Best Seller.

In the book, a pre-teenager gets caught up of being a slave for the king because she possesses a special called a Grace. She travels with a young man named Po, from one of the seven kingdoms mentioned in this book. They fall in love and something happens...(I will not spoil it for you!)

I REALLY REALLY recommend that you read this book, it easily rivals that of Twilight, in my opinion. :)

Personally, I don't think the book is in the same fantasy sub-category as Twilight. They're both fantasy books, but Graceling is set in what seems to be the middle ages, whereas Twilight is more contemporary. Both stories are however very well written. I would recommend each book to fans of fantasy novels, but for different reasons. :techie-studyingbrown:
Jennz123
Favorite Author: Alastair Reynolds
Favorite Book: Ender’s Game
Currently Reading: The Party Crasher
Bookshelf Size: 2232
fav_author_id: 11570

Post by Jennz123 »

ChrisSamsDad wrote: 21 Oct 2009, 06:04 It makes as much sense as putting horror and sci-fi together
I totally agree! Even Netflix clumps sci-fi with horror
Jennz123
Favorite Author: Alastair Reynolds
Favorite Book: Ender’s Game
Currently Reading: The Party Crasher
Bookshelf Size: 2232
fav_author_id: 11570

Post by Jennz123 »

I just found a new (to me) author, I was surprised no one had added his books already!

shelves/author.php?a=174456

The author is Andrew Hindle, he has an interesting bio too, and has overcome cancer (hence the Arsebook) - yes that’s the title “Arsebook” it’s written as a series of Facebook entries about his cancer experience.

He has already completed a full sci-fi series The Final Fall Of Man - (link above) 8 books 2 anthologies AND has another two towards a second series.

So much reading ahead! :D
TooEvilToLove
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by TooEvilToLove »

I enjoyed Robin Hobb's The Realm of The Elderlings series. In total there are 16 books. 7 of those are world building and clue you in to the rest of the world. They bring the big picture into focus so you can see the grand design behind the story.

Dragon Riders of Pern will always have a special place in my heart. I read it as a kid and loved them so much I still think about them!
wordslinger42
Currently Reading: The Lost Road and Other Writings
Bookshelf Size: 669
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wordslinger42.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by wordslinger42 »

I would recommend the Shannara series by Terry Brooks. At the start of the series, magic has more sway over the characters and land, but science and technology begin to make an appearance later on, and I love the way he shows the rise and fall of both!
amal_786
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amal-786.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by amal_786 »

In my opinion, one of the best sci- fi/fantasy series would have to be the Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer. The books are an amalgamation of classic fairy tales such as Cinderella, Snow White, Rapunzel, and Red Riding Hood along with the complexity of a futuristic twist that smoothly ties in cyborgs and amazing new technology to the familiar plots of the tales we are familiar with. Marissa Meyer weaves a very satisfying and intricate story complete with many twists that are sure to render readers speechless. It is a perfect balance between the past and future brought to us in the present.
Barbara Larkin
Currently Reading: The Raven Boys
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barbara-larkin.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by Barbara Larkin »

The Throne of Glass, A Court of Thorns and Roses and Crescent City series by Sarah J. Maas are really good books in the fantasy genre.
JB_Reads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jb-reads.html
Latest Review: Time Is Eternity by Annette G. Anders

Post by JB_Reads »

I LOVED A Court of Thorns and Roses & the Crescent City Series by Sarah J. Maas! Shadow & Bone and The Ninth House (both by Leigh Bardugo) we’re also great reads!

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”