Sci-Fi and Fantasy Recommendations

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
CarlyElisabeth
Bookshelf Size: 0

Throne of Glass

Post by CarlyElisabeth »

I have been reading Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas and it has had me hooked from the beginning. It is very well written and the fact it has a strong female as the main character is an added bonus for me.
It doesnt have to much sci-fi/fantasy to make the plot unbelievable or unrelatable but there is just enough to get the reader wondering and getting lost in the story themselves.
I thoroughly recomend this book and the next two in this series.
One down side is that the next book hasnt even been published yet so I have to hunt for a new book to distract me from everyday life :)
ashleeboyer
Favorite Author: Jen L Armentrout
Favorite Book: Too many to choose from
Currently Reading: White Hot Kiss by Jennifer L Armentrout
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashleeboyer.html

Post by ashleeboyer »

I would definitely recommend reading The Covenant series by Jennifer L. Armentrout. One of my most favorite series to read! The first installment is called Half-Blood, but there is a little intro book called Daimon (pronounced demon), that introduces you to the world of mythological gods/descendants of gods such as Apollo or Hermes. They live everyday life in their own world unknown to humans and are threatened by Daimons, who are descendants just like them but turned evil by drinking other aether, or blood.

The main character Alexandria is probably my favorite character ever because of how well the author displays her in the series. She's cocky, sarcastic and makes quick decisions without thinking of the consequences. But, I also admire her vulnerability. She ultimately is the ONE who everyone depends on to pretty much save the world.

Seriously is a MUST READ! There are five books in the series and are all equally full of adventure, hilarity and points where you just want to rip your hair out.
Moneco

Post by Moneco »

I would reccomend The Southern Reach trilogy. And Fahrenheit 451. Both very good book(s)!
Talistan
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Talistan »

I am in the middle of reading the Dune series, started by Frank Herbert and finished by his son Brian. It is an amazing series full of plot twists, mysteries and emotion. The entire series is based more than 15,000 years in the future in an ingeniously constructed universe filled with hundreds, and later on millions of inhabited planets. The planet that most of the stories are based around is the mysterious desert planet of Dune (also known as Arrakis or Rakis) which is inhabited by the Fremen, a race of hardy desert folk who have learned how to ride the sandworms, the reason for Dune's importance. These creatures burrow through the sand at hundreds of kilometers per hour, devouring anything that moves on the surface. This though, is not the reason they are so important. That falls solely to the mysterious substance they create, which is known as 'spice'. This drug enhances the bodies lifespan, mental focus, physical strength and senses. It also replenishes the bodies energy and gives certain users strange, preciential powers.
starcrunch61
Favorite Author: Robin McKinley
Favorite Book: I really cant say
Currently Reading: The Wise Mans Fear
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-starcrunch61.html
fav_author_id: 6333

Post by starcrunch61 »

I didn't start reading fantasy to later in life. And the series that got me hooked on fantasy was The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan and Brandon Sanderson. The immensity of the books plots, worlds, characters and magic is amazing. If your willing to devote a small part of your life to reading the entire series it will be worth it.
aurainvader
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aurainvader.html
Latest Review: "Mad Reality vs Aurelius" by James Ayrford

Post by aurainvader »

ChrisSamsDad wrote:
Dolphin wrote: Science Fiction: Orson Scott Card (simply amazing).
Do his right-wing political views come out in his Sci-fi writing? That was always a bit irritating about Robert Heinlein (Robinn EE Hitler as he was sometimes referred to as)
If there are any then you have to squint to see it and it could just be happenstance or imagination. My very liberal English professor assigned us to read this book. The class was a wide range of liberal to conservative to atheist to religious and we universally loved the story. The only reason why you might not like it subject wise is if you don't like middle grade fiction or you don't like outer space fiction. Style wise, it's a pretty simple read, with some allusions and occasionally obvious foreshadowing.
Latest Review: "Mad Reality vs Aurelius" by James Ayrford
starcrunch61
Favorite Author: Robin McKinley
Favorite Book: I really cant say
Currently Reading: The Wise Mans Fear
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-starcrunch61.html
fav_author_id: 6333

Post by starcrunch61 »

I have to say I really enjoyed this novella. I hate paying for them but it was great. I still have questions about Auri and still no idea who or what she is but it was nice to see a week of her life. You dont think much of what she is doing in between visits with Kvothe and it definitely gives her more character. She is brave getting in that water with who knows what else in it. Eveything in there proper place, sheesh. Now I want to find the short story he wrote about Bast.
lace_paul
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by lace_paul »

try reading..C.S. Lewis book series, "The Chronicles of Narnia" ...it's simply amazing.
BVos25
Currently Reading: The Sword of Shannara by Terry Brooks
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bvos25.html

Post by BVos25 »

I'd like to recommend Touch the Dark by Karen Chance. It's the first book in a series, and the series itself does require some dedication if you want to see the plot lines followed through, and if you want to see some character growth. Unfortunately the first book itself doesn't tie up very many of the reader's questions, it just introduces you to Cassie Palmer's chaotic life. It does involve vampires, mages, fae, and demons. Cassie Palmer herself inherits the title Pythia and the power to travel through the past, and she is not at all pleased with it. She remains in denial throughout the first book, and she can be a little hard to support at first, but as the series progresses on a small scale(at 5 books they have only progressed 6 months) she does learn to accept her new role and responsibilities.

It's fantasy, but in the urban city environment. Touch the Dark introduces you to a reluctant heroine that lives in Las Vegas and Karen Chance appears to have nothing but fun when she writes these books. The action scenes can be long winded, but they are fun and sometimes funny. The romance scenes are somewhat graphic, but they are short lived.
animalrescuer976
Favorite Book: The Secret History of the Pink Carnation
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-animalrescuer976.html

Post by animalrescuer976 »

I recommend Departure by A.G. Riddle.
Really great book that takes you through the events of a plane crash landing in a very different world than the one it left behind in 2014.
Stevefromtheblock
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stevefromtheblock.html
Latest Review: "Short Shorts" by Alex Apostol

Post by Stevefromtheblock »

The Time Machine. An oldie, but a goodie.
Latest Review: "Short Shorts" by Alex Apostol
virgil

Post by virgil »

Hey there guys! A book i read last year will fit right into this topic page, its apart of a six book series based around A.D 2400 and is a beautiful step into the future, some of the inventions and theory's he talks about just blow my mind as a go from page to page :D. The first book is named Pandora's Star(love saga's the longer the better :D), and the author is Peter.F.Hamilton.I recommend this book to any sci-fi junkie who has a taste for advanced and quick moving story line that jumps back and forth through character's (and of course for anyone who JUST love's sci-fi :D books really beautifully laid out and written, you just can't put it down, your eyes will devour each page!)

Anyway, back to the story :D the main focus point of the story, or if i can explain it another way, the "key" to the entire story is FLT travel (Faster than Light Transportation) this Goliath of an invention enables the entire Story to take shape throughout the cosmos.If you decide to read this book you will see that this is made mention in the first couple page's so people quick to shout "spoiler alert" BEGONE i say! :D it really is a minor detail in the grander scheme yet it is the glue that holds the story together so, judge away But i maintain that i haven't even scratched the surface of what there is to say :D

Hope you enjoy reading :D!!

Virgil.
sarahmarie181
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahmarie181.html
Latest Review: Spirit of the Season by Brian Lamont

Post by sarahmarie181 »

For those that like vamps, witches and demons with some depth, kim harrisons books are fantastic, particuarly the series around character Rachel Morgan. Hard hitting with fantastic descriptions, you really get transported in to the books.
patinchuot4

Post by patinchuot4 »

I am very interested and interesting subject, thank you for the advice :)
Jadomeit
Favorite Author: Gorge R.R. Martin
Favorite Book: The Crimson Crown
Currently Reading: The Signature of all Things
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jadomeit.html

Post by Jadomeit »

'The Name of the Wind' by Patrick Rothfuss is an astounding read.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”