Official Review: Titan by Michael Van Cleve

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
CataclysmicKnight
Favorite Book: Ready Player One
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1693
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cataclysmicknight.html
Latest Review: Simple Man Simple Message by Mark Dobosz

Official Review: Titan by Michael Van Cleve

Post by CataclysmicKnight »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Titan" by Michael Van Cleve.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

There seem to be two major flavors of post-apocalyptic stories - either there are multiple survivors who are trying to create a settlement and live in peace or save humanity, or the world's human population is nearly wiped out and the main character(s) is/are just trying to survive. Titan by Michael Van Cleve ends up feeling like a combination of the two. It's been at least 200 years since a war ruined the world with nuclear weapons, and most everything - and everyone - has become mutated by the radiation.

The main story begins with a family - Paris is giving birth to her second son while Troy tries to keep their first son, Christopher, occupied. The four of them (including the new boy that's only referred to as the Second Son) live alone; Troy is incredibly intelligent and Paris is not only in amazing physical shape, she's an expert marksman. Troy and Christopher are both dying of sickness, however, and it isn't even a week and a half after giving birth that Paris goes out alone for supplies and toward the last city, a place with a giant wall with only the word "return" written in many languages. Their plan to get into the city is an absolutely crazy one, however; can one woman alone gain entry to a giant, technologically-advanced city that wants nothing more than to keep people out? Will she even survive the trip, when there are ruthless, demented humans and mutated animals between her and her destination?

Despite the fact that Paris, Troy, Christopher and the newborn Second Son are a family, this is far from a warm tale. The book is often comprised of single-sentence, very short paragraphs with minimal description. For example...
Paris loads the rounds into the magazine well.

Paris locks and loads the magazine.

Paris resumes a stable firing position.
While the entire book isn't like this, it is semi-frequent. The interesting effect this has is that it makes the book feel cold somehow, which is exactly how the world in Titan is meant to feel. Even when Paris does things for the benefit of others, she isn't a typical hero about it. This is much more realistic in a post-apocalyptic setting, and yet so odd at the same time.

While the lack of descriptiveness at times can be explained away rather well, there are a few other issues that can't. Toward the end of the book, things get a bit crude at times (fitting for the story, but restrictive on reader base) and there are a few places (less than 5) where a bit of editing would have been beneficial. Also, I'm really torn on the story - while it's very unique and raises some interesting points, it does it in a way that really could've used some more fleshing out, the ending especially. The book was short - 88 pages in the PDF I reviewed - and I think adding a dozen or two more pages throughout would have made all the difference in the world.

While I'm hesitant to recommend the book to kids due to some violence and crudeness, I can definitely recommend it to fans of post-apocalyptic stories that want something different. I'd rate the book 2.5 stars if I could, but the fact that I'd recommend this so readily makes me realize I should round it up and give it 3 out of 4 stars.

Titan
View: on Bookshelves

Like CataclysmicKnight's review? Post a comment saying so!
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
L Anthony Skelton
Favorite Author: Hugh Howey
Currently Reading: The Bulls of War
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 2829

Post by L Anthony Skelton »

Interesting quote taken from the book and even more interestingly, you took a second to find the reason for such an oddity. Thanks for the review.
lane_vespertine
Currently Reading: Ilium
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lane-vespertine.html
Latest Review: "Hell Holes 2" by Donald Firesmith

Post by lane_vespertine »

Your 'rounding' of the score at the end cracked me up.
Good review!
Latest Review: "Hell Holes 2" by Donald Firesmith
AA1495
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 19636">Out of the Box Awakening</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aa1495.html
Latest Review: YiaYia’s Kitchen by Brianna Koucos Midgley

Post by AA1495 »

Wish it was edited better! Glad you enjoyed the book. Thank you for the review!
Rachel1019
Currently Reading: A Dance with Dragons
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel1019.html
Latest Review: "The Understanding" by Dennis Pennefather

Post by Rachel1019 »

This sounds like it could be a really interesting book. It's a shame that it isn't longer and more detailed, but I like how you defended the shortened style of the sentences as attempting to fit into the environment of the story itself. That makes the author a very attentive person to details.
Latest Review: "The Understanding" by Dennis Pennefather
Strangerthanfiction
Currently Reading: Night Seeker
Bookshelf Size: 304
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-strangerthanfiction.html

Post by Strangerthanfiction »

Sounds like it could be an enjoyable read if you can get past the editing, sometimes it's rather difficult. I do like the aspect of Paris being a "more realistic in a post-apocalyptic setting, and yet so odd at the same time" Thanks for sharing.
“You know you’ve read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend.” – Paul Sweeney
Annelore Trujillo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 170
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annelore-trujillo.html
Latest Review: The Siberians by Simon J. Carey

Post by Annelore Trujillo »

This sounds really interesting. I don't normally like this type of book, but your review has definitely peaked my interest. Thank you for the great review!
L_Therese
Currently Reading: American Psycho
Bookshelf Size: 1970
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-l-therese.html
Latest Review: The Middle Ages by Jane Chance

Post by L_Therese »

I liked what you had to say about how the writing itself helped turn the atmosphere of the story cold. A kind of unappealing stylistic choice serves a real purpose for the book. I'm glad you pointed that out because it might make a difference when I choose whether or not to invest my time in this book. Thanks!
tarafarah7
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mitch Albom
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ">tuesdays with Morrie</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1438
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarafarah7.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2544

Post by tarafarah7 »

Thank you for your review...this isn't my typical genre, but I am looki g forward to finding out if Paris makes it inside or if she turns back!:-)
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Nice, insightful review! You used some great examples to illustrate the short descriptions in the book. I also liked the fair way you decided on the rating. The book doesn't seem like my cup of tea, but I can see dystopian fans enjoying it.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
bluemel4
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Anne Bishop
Currently Reading: The Dark Tower, Books 1-3
Bookshelf Size: 466
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluemel4.html
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 6086

Post by bluemel4 »

Fantastic review! I love your commentary on the effectiveness of the writing style and your thoughtful critiques.
"Life is a journey, not a destination" --Ralph Waldo Emerson
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Utpal K Khot
Currently Reading: Green Lady
Bookshelf Size: 50

Post by Utpal K Khot »

Liberty shall not perish from Earth..
Congrats on being BOTD
Lorirainbowbright
Favorite Book: An Ember in the Ashes
Currently Reading: Burning Midnight
Bookshelf Size: 249
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lorirainbowbright.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Lorirainbowbright »

Great review.
Alan Kirsch
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Alan Kirsch »

cant wait to read this book.. the review sounds great.
It is a combination of sci fi and fiction
romantics
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Frannie and Tru</a>
Currently Reading: Brave New World
Bookshelf Size: 405
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-romantics.html
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes

Post by romantics »

I love the review. The book has a really nice cover, can't wait to read it.
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”