Official Review: First Adult by David Alomes

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
CataclysmicKnight
Favorite Book: Ready Player One
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1693
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cataclysmicknight.html
Latest Review: Simple Man Simple Message by Mark Dobosz

Official Review: First Adult by David Alomes

Post by CataclysmicKnight »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "First Adult" by David Alomes.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

At first glance, a sci-fi book about a "first adult" had me expecting some alternate universe where only one person has ever survived becoming 18, so I was very pleasantly surprised by the actual concept in First Adult by David Alomes. After some intriguing world-building, the First Adult is introduced. Adults are beings with amazing powers that are in charge of their worlds, and the First Adult, Ikara, is on a mission to find beings on other planets worthy of becoming Adults. When they arrive at Earth, he finds a lawyer named Samuel who he decides to train to save humanity. Samuel is the first new potential Adult found in over 100 years, so the event is even more spectacular.

Don't expect a crazy battle where powers are mysteriously awakened, the revelation that the spoon doesn't exist or a training regimen that could be set to Eye of the Tiger. Ikara'a training of Samuel is almost entirely done via mind transfer - an ability that allows an Adult to pass and/or receive information in such a way that the information is never doubted, and even experienced as if it happened to them.

The vast majority of this information is the story of Doneel, who was born in a world torn apart by war. On one side is Nu - a technologically advanced nation run by a massive computer. On the other side is the Land of the Righteous, who are all disfigured from radiation and whose lives are dedicated entirely to destroying Nu. The two sides have been at war for a thousand years with no end in sight. Doneel is the son of a Righteous man and Nu woman who both saw the errors of their nations, met and fell in love in the 'Tweenlands - an area between the two nations that is allied to neither. As Doneel grows up he discovers remarkable powers, and decides that it's up to him to create peace on his planet. This is exactly what every Adult is charged with today - helping their "children" "grow up" and become a peaceful race that works in harmony, and this is what Samuel is charged to do on Earth if he can survive his training.

While the book doesn't have much action (a major surprise in sci-fi!), this was an excellent book. The tale of Doneel becoming the original First Adult is really entertaining and full of surprises. The way it's told to Samuel really helps with feeling the weight of not only wondering what will happen with Doneel, but also with how it's even possible to create peace on Earth. While it's not defeating an evil wizard or some world-ending plot, creating peace is still a massive undertaking, perhaps even a greater one! There's also a side-plot that could have some major potential in the future of the series.

On that note, it's worth mentioning that this is book one in the Adult Trilogy. The book has a very solid ending of its own, which is a major requirement for a series in my opinion, but it also has at least three major threads that'll be very interesting in the future of the trilogy.

The book is very solidly edited and while it's very possible there were a couple, I was so absorbed in the plot that I didn't notice a single grammatical error. If I had to say something negative about the book, it's that I wish Samuel had a bit more personality. Doneel, his parents and the rest of the cast are rather strong, but Samuel doesn't really get much time in the book to shine with his character and feels much like his trainer Ikara. With more time on his own in a sequel, however, I have no doubt Samuel will grow into his own.

As always, the best metric for whether a book in a series is good or not is whether I want to read more of it. With First Adult, the answer is definitely yes. The book is definitely worthy of 4 out of 4 stars and I recommend it to anyone who loves sci-fi, the concept of spreading peace and those who enjoy a twisty story. For those who want a lot of action, however, this probably won't be enough to sate your appetite.

First Adult
View: on Bookshelves

Like CataclysmicKnight's review? Post a comment saying so!
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
cnag9604
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cnag9604.html

Post by cnag9604 »

I wish the book had more action as well!
Sweet Angel
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweet-angel.html

Post by Sweet Angel »

Very good review. Like reading sci-fi. Can't wait to read this book and looks like it would be good.
zero_macabre
Currently Reading: The Snowman
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zero-macabre.html
Latest Review: "No Simple Miracle" by Meggan Haller

Post by zero_macabre »

Seems like you really enjoyed this sci-fi book! As someone who loves action, I'm probably not going to check it out, but thank you for the great review!
Latest Review: "No Simple Miracle" by Meggan Haller
TrishaAnn92
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

Sounds like an awesome book! I'm adding it to my TBR! Awesome review! :)
ayman gamghal
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 6734">Rich Dad, Poor Dad,</a>
Currently Reading: The Lost Continent
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by ayman gamghal »

i'm just few pages ahead from finishing this book, at first my mind was totally blury :?: :?: but the true form of this book is way creative ! An Adult from the planet Daen, goes to Earth to find a human with the potential to become an Adult and so on... it definitely worth 3-4 stars for me! :tiphat:
Avidreader1959526
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Avidreader1959526 »

Re: Official Review: First Adult by David Alomes

Upon seeing the title I began to ask myself if this would be a take on a story I had read many years ago entitled, " Logan's Run," which was based on societal rule that no member of civilization would live past the age of 25 unless they managed to escape the reach of the ruling class.
Much to my surprise the synopsis is the complete opposite. This is the first in the "First Adult " trilogy. Even though I haven't had the chance to read this script I believe it will be truly amazing. Can't wait to read it in its entirety.
qsusan
Favorite Book: Reaper Man
Currently Reading: Gone Girl
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-qsusan.html
Latest Review: The God Debate - Dawkins in Denial by Terry Higham

Post by qsusan »

Sounds interesting. Perhaps I will read it when all the books in the trilogy are out. I am interested in Samuel's transformation into an Adult and what Doneel faces to create peace for both worlds (since it seems it's neither action nor some supervillain).
Amy747
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy747.html
Latest Review: Real Secrets Of Life by Krishna Jagarnath

Post by Amy747 »

More action would be good but this sounds like a really interesting storyline. Ive just added it to my shelf.
Ogoskino
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ogoskino.html
Latest Review: adventured of columbus daniel by Columbus daniel

Post by Ogoskino »

It's interesting to see how Samuel fares in his training. This is a very good review, I hope the book lives up to the hype that the review suggests.
HusainNecklace52
Favorite Book: The Magic Strings of Frankie Presto
Currently Reading: A History of Philosophy Without Any Gaps
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-husainnecklace52.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by HusainNecklace52 »

Wow! The story is really enthralling! My interest has been piqued and I shall get my hands on a copy of this book as soon as I can. Thank you for your great and honest review! :D
Shahina C A
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shahina-c-a.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Shahina C A »

I like reading books which contains less action. So I would like to try this one soon. Thanks for the review
MoeBrown
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moebrown.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust

Post by MoeBrown »

The cover reminded me of teen book name 'Animorphs'. Was delighted to know it's a completely different turn from what I also expected it to be. It does seem like the series will be an interesting one. Thanks for the review.
Aisha Yakub
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Aisha Yakub »

This is a rather unique storyline. Perhaps, the author tried to differ from status quo. However, I may have preferred some action too. But this a great book. Nice review
Stevenmusk
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stevenmusk.html
Latest Review: Under the Blue Moon by Joan Schweighardt

Post by Stevenmusk »

Sci-fi are probably my best genre of book because the bring in new ideas about possibilities for the future. Thanks for the review.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”