Official Review: Dream Journal by Nichole Haines

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
CataclysmicKnight
Favorite Book: Ready Player One
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1693
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cataclysmicknight.html
Latest Review: Simple Man Simple Message by Mark Dobosz

Official Review: Dream Journal by Nichole Haines

Post by CataclysmicKnight »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Dream Journal" by Nichole Haines.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Note: Because it seems this book will be updated in the future, it's important to note this review was written on July 25th, 2016. This review covers only the first 4 dreams in the book, as that's all that were available at this point.

Dreams are mysterious things. While there are plenty of books that discuss the meanings behind dreams, Dream Journal by Nichole Haines is instead exactly what it sounds like - a collection of dreams that Nichole had. Although it is currently an incredibly short book - only 4 dreams across approximately 4 pages - there's a bit of text at the back where Nichole says she'll update as she has more dreams. It seems true so far as the kindle version actually has an additional dream listed.

The book is very straightforward in its portrayal of the dreams. These aren't deeply-described journeys we go on with Nichole, they're instead brief recaps. In fact, due to the style and brevity it felt like hearing from a friend about their crazy dream from the night before. The dreams are very sci-fi in nature and speak of God and the devil. Nichole doesn't go into detail about what she felt the dreams meant to her, but two of them do mention that she felt sick or sweaty when she woke up.

Dream Journal is an interesting concept, but it's just far too short. In fact, the review you're reading now is every bit as long as the book, if not longer. In addition to more dreams, it could also use more detail - if the dreams were more like short stories that drew me in and less like quick recaps, this could be a fantastic collection, especially with the possibility of more being added in the future. The idea of regular updates to Dream Journal mixed with added depth would be like buying a short story subscription AND getting to go on the journey with Nichole at the same time!

I certainly didn't hate Nichole's Dream Journal, but it's so short that it's hard to consider anything but 1 star for it. In the end, while I'd give the book 1.5 stars if I could, the book gets 1 out of 4 stars. The concept is sound, but the way it stands now the execution just isn't there. 

Dream Journal
View: on Bookshelves

Like CataclysmicKnight's review? Post a comment saying so!
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

It must have been difficult to write a review on a book that is so short, but you did a great job with it! The book's concept seems interesting, but there just doesn't seem to be enough to it. The author probably should have held off on publishing until she had more material to work with.
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
Captain_Morgan23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-captain-morgan23.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Captain_Morgan23 »

Sounds like Nichole's dreams were very short. Just another case of a cool idea with poor execution
Juliana_Isabella
Currently Reading: Modern Death
Bookshelf Size: 176
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliana-isabella.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Juliana_Isabella »

Even if the book was updated with more dreams, I can't imagine it would be developed enough to be worth paying for.
Nathan Berner
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nathan-berner.html
Latest Review: Debt Cleanse by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Nathan Berner »

It seems like there is a lack of meaningful plot. Unless it turned out that her dreams hinted at meaning in her own life that she could write about.
nicole-adrianne
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicole-adrianne.html
Latest Review: Chubby Wubbles by M. J. Abrams

Post by nicole-adrianne »

I know of a webcomic dream journal that's very entertaining and compelling. I hope Nichole can achieve that tone as well as she refines her writing skills and keeps dreaming!
One feels like a duck, splashing around in all this wet. And when one feels like a duck, one is happy!
Amy747
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy747.html
Latest Review: Real Secrets Of Life by Krishna Jagarnath

Post by Amy747 »

I agree that it would be better if the dreams had been written in more detail as stories or even if there were some reflections of the possible meanings and parallels to her own life.
Jassy57
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Jassy57 »

It's not bad. Just the plot and other little things here and there have bothered me, other than that, decent.
djr6090
Favorite Book: The North Wind Descends (The Lord Hani Mysteries Book 4)
Currently Reading: There's a Hole in My Bucket
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-djr6090.html
Latest Review: The Odessa Legacy by Dr. Richard Bend

Post by djr6090 »

CataclysmicKnight wrote: 26 Jul 2016, 11:11 [Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Dream Journal" by Nichole Haines.]

Like CataclysmicKnight's review? Post a comment saying so!
This book may have been a better topic for a blog than a book club. Where did you find the words for such a short piece?
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

Thank you for your work and your honest review. I guess it was a really tough challenge, considering the length and the issues you mentioned. You did a great job, congratulations!
Shahina C A
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shahina-c-a.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Shahina C A »

I think it's not for me. By the way your review seems like very honest. Thanks for the great review
Suzer6440 xyz
Favorite Book: Pearl River Mansion
Currently Reading: Five Total Strangers
Bookshelf Size: 201
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-suzer6440-xyz.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Suzer6440 xyz »

Analyzing dreams is so interesting to me. I believe that this book is probably worth the read. Thanks for your review
Aisha Yakub
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Aisha Yakub »

I'm not sure I find the concept interesting. Plus, I wouldn't want to go on a journey that's hardly exploratory and detailed. Thanks for the honest review
Stevenmusk
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stevenmusk.html
Latest Review: Under the Blue Moon by Joan Schweighardt

Post by Stevenmusk »

Understanding one's dream can be confusing sometimes and hard to interpret. This book seems insightful. Thanks for the review.
MoeBrown
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moebrown.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust

Post by MoeBrown »

I commend you for being able to write a review on something so short. I expect a story about dreams to be immersive so it being as shirt as you say would have been a total disappointment for me. Thanks for the review

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”