The Alchemyst: The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
robert_allen
Bookshelf Size: 0

The Alchemyst: The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel

Post by robert_allen »

Sophie and Josh Newman are fraternal twins who are enjoying their summer jobs in San Francisco: Sophie works at a coffee shop across the street from the independent bookstore where Josh works. When golems attack the bookstore and steal Flamel's most prized possession, it becomes clear very quickly that Nick and Perry Fleming are more than a nice couple that own the bookstore. In fact, they are the immortal Nicholas and Perry Flamel. Nicholas is the famous 14th century alchemist who has discovered a potion that makes him immortal. He is the keeper of the Codex, the ancient magical text that Flamel's enemy John Dee, has now stolen. Sophie and Josh are powerful magicians, but their powers haven't been awakened. Now Dee is on their trail as well, so the twins flee San Francisco with Nick and Perry. They head north of San Francisco to visit the goddess Hekate who awakens Sophie's powers, but Dee and his demons attack before Josh can have his powers awakened. On the run, the twins meet a dazzling array of creatures and demigods from Celtic and Egyptian mythology (the crow goddess Morrigan and the cat goddess Bastet are particularly terrifying). A lightning fast pace, realistic teen dialogue and a cornucopia of magical mysteries make this an excellent first entry in what is sure to be a popular series.

Regards
removed/
MorriganFray13
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by MorriganFray13 »

I'm always on the hunt for new books hiding in plain site, I found this one alone on the shelf and had to take a peek inside. In its beginning you realize you're on an intresting spiral into a magical world, and then you become pleasantly surprised at the way it just keeps growing. The characters Micheal Scott integrates into his tales, are all people from folklore and even some known to have existed in our history. I've always had a desire to learn and I was delighted to know his characters were used correctly and the story has just the right amount of detail to allow you to feel like you're right there in the plot as it thickens and gets into sticky situations. From the beginning you know the twins will be on a great adventure, and you're drawn in with them as they learn their destiny is intertwined with the old bookstore owners they assumed were mere mortals.
chocomeiske
Favorite Author: Ben Galley
Currently Reading: The Prey
Bookshelf Size: 4152
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chocomeiske.html
Latest Review: "The Last Bucelarii (Book 1): Blade of the Destroyer" by Andy Peloquin
fav_author_id: 11401

Post by chocomeiske »

I read the first two books and started the 3rd in Dutch but have yet to buy the other three books in the series. I did enjoy what I read so far though and purposefully didn't finish bk 3 so that when I get the others I can just marathon read them.
Latest Review: "The Last Bucelarii (Book 1): Blade of the Destroyer" by Andy Peloquin
ReyvrexQuestor Reyes
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reyvrexquestor-reyes.html
Latest Review: Journey by Lindsay Schuster
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by ReyvrexQuestor Reyes »

I am looking forward to seeing the books of Michael Scott. His bestsellers, The Magician, The Enchantress, The Sorceress, The Warlock, or The Necromancer. I started to relish this series after reading The Alchymest. The lead character Nicholas Flamel was mentioned in Harry Potter.
"In the beginning was the word.........John 1:1"
...To delineate the times that lovers miss,
...A thousand dreams can't beat a single kiss.

-reyvrex (Love Sonnet 107)

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”