Review by kio -- The Ferryman by Amy Neftzger

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kio
Favorite Author: Janet Evanovich
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... vermore</a>
Bookshelf Size: 532
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kio.html
Latest Review: "A Twist of Fate" by Mark W. Johnson
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 2658

Review by kio -- The Ferryman by Amy Neftzger

Post by kio »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Ferryman" by Amy Neftzger.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Themes of fate, fortune, death, and destiny all play a part in Amy Neftzger’s The Ferryman.

Karen is a single mother who hasn't had much luck in the way of good fortune and fate hasn't been very kind to her. When she got pregnant in college, she quit school to take care of her son, Claude. She has had many jobs, but hasn't been able to hold on to any. To make ends meet, she took up grave robbing. After all, the dead don't need any of their stuff in the afterlife. Or do they?

One night, she robs a 200-year-old grave and steals the gold coins underneath the corpse's eyes. Shortly after, Fate appears and states that Karen is her new Ferryman. Because she accepted payment from her, she is now responsible for helping the dead to cross to the afterlife. Unlike Charon in Greek mythology, Karen’s job is has nothing to do with an actual ferry. To help them cross, she has to figure out what is holding them back from moving on.

As her cases become increasingly more difficult, Karen enlists a bit of help from Fate’s husband, Fortune. Both beings have very different personalities. Fate is distant and cold. Fortune seems almost bipolar, having a go-lucky side and a “don’t mess with me” side. For some weird reason, Fate has taken an intense interest in Karen and her relationship with Fate. What do Fate and Fortune want with her? Can she get out of her unbreakable contract?

The characters in this book are well developed, flawed characters that drew me right into the story. I love the dynamic between Karen, Fortune, and Fate. As you discover more and more of the three’s personalities, you realize that there is a lot more to them and who they are than meets the eye.

I like the author’s humorous, modern spin on an old Greek myth. Admittedly, I have wondered in the past how a Charon-type modern character would’ve adapted to the whole “ferry fare” requirement for the dead to pass into the afterlife,considering most people don't get buried with gold coins these days. I like how Neftzger adapts this concept to fit into the book. To explain this work-around, Fate hints that the toll for crossing over could come in different ways, not just through money. I also thought the name association of Karen instead of Charon was clever and made the main character more memorable.

Overall, the plot and subplots are well developed. The writing style is smooth and flows well. I like how the author has logical explanations for everything related to Fate and Fortune, so it is easy to suspend any disbelief that would make it hard to get drawn into Karen’s world. I like how the author interweaves Karen’s personal life and growth with what she learns from the different ghosts she encounters. The twist at the end is unexpected, but, after you reach the end, you know that it is the perfect way to end the story.

My favorite part of the book are the included graveyard pictures at the end of each chapter. Not only are the pictures engaging and intriguing, but they fit in well with each chapter's theme and help to sustain the mood throughout the story.

I’d rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. Its focus on characters is endearing and makes the book impossible to put down. The author does a great job of interweaving the different mythology and modern elements without compromising the likability of the story. There are no noticeable typos or errors to distract the reader from a quick, fun read. I would recommend this book for anyone, but especially for those who like magical realism, fantasy, or mythology retold fiction.

The Ferryman
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like kio's review? Post a comment saying so!
"Books are unique portable magic."-Stephen King
Latest Review: "A Twist of Fate" by Mark W. Johnson

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”