Official Review: A Mirror Among Shattered Glass (Book One...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
aparsons
Bookshelf Size: 498
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aparsons.html
Latest Review: "A Mirror Among Shattered Glass (Book One of the Supernatural London Underground series)" by Romarin Demetri

Official Review: A Mirror Among Shattered Glass (Book One...

Post by aparsons »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Mirror Among Shattered Glass (Book One of the Supernatural London Underground series)" by Romarin Demetri.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A Mirror Among Shattered Glass by Romarin Demetri
Book One of the Supernatural London Underground
2 out of 4 stars

Romarin Demetri has degrees in English and Psychology and uses them to her advantage in her first novel: A Mirror Among Shattered Glass. Romarin hopes to continue the series called The Supernatural London Underground.

The protagonist of this story shares her name with the author: Romarin Demetri. She has moved to London from the United States to learn more about her biological family, but finds herself in trouble and malnourished. Romarin lives off of blood and absorbs the personality and memories of the person she has drunk blood from. She loses her identity in the beginning of the story (by drinking the blood of a suicide casualty) and makes her way through London to try and find out who she is, why she is in London, and who can help her.

Romarin is, by turns, arrogant, sultry, naïve and manipulative. She retains knowledge from the blood she drinks, so she can fake accents or familiarity with London. However, her internal dialogue betrays her inner dilemmas, fears and desires. The author reveals a little bit of her past throughout the story, and we find that Romarin was an outcast and loner until she found a castle full of people like her in London.

The author’s writing style is characteristic of a new writer. She is very descriptive, which makes for a fun visual experience, but she can put too many extra nouns and adjectives. For example: “I could see oil paintings of mostly women, their sad expressions leering down at me from the second story of the building.” The result is a cluttered narrative that can make it difficult to find the main idea of the paragraph or chapter. There are minimal spelling and grammar mistakes. This book is written for a teenage audience who is willing to read about fantastical monsters who stalk the night. The story can’t seem to decide if it wants to be a romance novel, horror, or fantasy. I enjoy the author’s use of diverse characters, and I learned a few things about Europe’s history and supernatural creatures.

I give this book 2 out of 4 stars because this was a slow book to read. Most of the transitions from one moment to another are difficult to follow, and the minute to minute timeline is unclear. One moment they are in the castle, and in the next paragraph, they are in a bar, with little to no segue. There is a lot of fluff written into the narrative which detracts from the story. I feel little to no connection with the character; she seems erratic and illogical. I do not recommend this book to adult readers because of its lack of depth and character development.

In conclusion, A Mirror Among Shattered Glass is a lengthy book with very little depth to it. The characters are one note and difficult to relate to. The imagery is done well but segues are lacking for transitions.

A Mirror Among Shattered Glass (Book One of the Supernatural London Underground series)
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like aparsons's review? Post a comment saying so!
“Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Latest Review: "A Mirror Among Shattered Glass (Book One of the Supernatural London Underground series)" by Romarin Demetri
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

That was a very honest review. Sounds like the book needs more depth and the writing needs more polishing. Good job on the review.
bluemel4
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Anne Bishop
Currently Reading: The Dark Tower, Books 1-3
Bookshelf Size: 466
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluemel4.html
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 6086

Post by bluemel4 »

The book sounds like it has a lot of potential and interesting ideas. Great job providing constructive criticism.
"Life is a journey, not a destination" --Ralph Waldo Emerson
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
aparsons
Bookshelf Size: 498
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aparsons.html

Post by aparsons »

Thank you both! I tried really hard to give both the good and the bad. It really has a good premise, I think she just needs more polish and practice.
“Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Kia
Currently Reading: Damaged Goods
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kia.html
Latest Review: Wheel of Katarnum by James Calliotte
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kia »

Thank you for your honest review of this. Hopefully the author will do better on her next novel as her experience continues to grow. Congratulations to the author for her first novel though! Such a huge accomplishment.
"Yes, the past can hurt. But the way I see it you can either run from it, or learn from it."- Rafiki
Lisalovecraft
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisalovecraft.html
Latest Review: "A Devil of a Time" by Gretchen Jeannette

Post by Lisalovecraft »

Nice review! Sounds like an interesting premise that needs some work. Were you happy with the ending? Sounds like the plot jumped around a lot.
Latest Review: "A Devil of a Time" by Gretchen Jeannette

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”