Official Review: Kai and the Collector by Isaac Westwell

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
bookreviewer2016
Currently Reading: The Silent Corner
Bookshelf Size: 2910
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookreviewer2016.html
Latest Review: Pancake Money by Finn Bell

Official Review: Kai and the Collector by Isaac Westwell

Post by bookreviewer2016 »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Kai and the Collector" by Isaac Westwell.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Kai and the Collector is a novelette about a young woman named Kai who becomes the victim of an alien entity called The Collector. Honestly, I didn’t understand the point of the story. I was confused at the end, and a lot of scenes in the story seem to have had no bearing on the overall plot. For example, a lot of time was spent at the beginning introducing the reader to Maro on the train. Maro, however, has no purpose in the story. The reader never sees her again.

The story suffered from poor editing, vagueness, and point of view problems. “Kai and the Collector” had many punctuation and capitalization errors. Sometimes the syntax made it difficult for me to understand what the author was trying to say.

I had a lot of unanswered questions about Kai and her past. One point in particular that bothered me was how she could have an uncle if she was parentless. Did he raise her? If not, who did? There seems to be some inconsistency in Kai’s backstory. She is referred to as parentless, but then the author says her uncle stalked her mother. So, she must have had a mother for at least some period of time.

I was aggravated by the point of view problems. It seemed that the author couldn’t decide between third person limited and third person omniscient. If it had been written entirely in an omniscient point of view, I wouldn’t have minded the head-hopping. As it was, though, I didn’t know whose point of view to expect.

If it had been truly third person limited point of view, the reader would not have known things like “he couldn’t afford to unnerve Kai any further” because Kai couldn’t read Uncle Rem’s thoughts. She also wouldn’t have known that the “bored man” on the train stole a glance at her when she was looking out the window. On the other hand, if it had been truly omniscient, the reader would have known what was making Uncle Rem nervous. That’s why I said that it seemed the author couldn’t make up his mind about which type of perspective he wanted to use.

On a positive note, I appreciated how skilled the author was with setting the scenes and worldbuilding. I could visualize everything clearly, and I had no unanswered questions about the locations or societal structure.

Overall, I believe “Kai and the Collector” has potential but needs further refinement to cut unnecessary scenes, expand the ending so it makes more sense, and definitely further editing to remove errors. As it stands, I would not recommend this story to any of my blog readers. I give Kai and the Collector two out of four stars.

Kai and the Collector
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like bookreviewer2016's review? Post a comment saying so!
Rachaelamb1
Favorite Author: CS Lewis
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... onwitch</a>
Currently Reading: Falling Star
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachaelamb1.html
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco

Post by Rachaelamb1 »

Sounds like the book would be good with a few changes.
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

That was a very honest review. Sounds like the book needs improvement. Good job on the review.
bluemel4
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Anne Bishop
Currently Reading: The Dark Tower, Books 1-3
Bookshelf Size: 466
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluemel4.html
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 6086

Post by bluemel4 »

Thank you for the well-written and insightful review. I am always sad when an author has a great premise but poor execution.
"Life is a journey, not a destination" --Ralph Waldo Emerson
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Shelle
Currently Reading: For the Love
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shelle.html
Latest Review: A Positive Thought a Day Keeps the Negative Away by Dr. Curtis E. Smith
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Shelle »

Great, well-written review. It's unfortunate that this potentially promising story was poorly executed and I appreciate how honestly you described the problems with the book.
Also, I see you're new-ish to OBC. Hang in there! I promise there are some gems just waiting for you.
A book is a gift you can open again and again.
-Garrison Keillor

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”