Official Review: Kovu Part One by Kenneth Fultz Jr.

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
debo9967
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debo9967.html
Latest Review: "Self Examination" by VK Grover

Official Review: Kovu Part One by Kenneth Fultz Jr.

Post by debo9967 »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Kovu Part One" by Kenneth Fultz Jr..]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Kovu (Part one) written by Kenneth E. Fultz Jr. and illustrated by Aline Diniz, is a book in the fantasy genre. The book is more in the nature of an excerpt, since it’s only one-fourth of the first installment in the series. This excerpt contains the first five chapters of the first novel.

Kovu took his position, and the responsibilities that came with it, very seriously. After all, being the heir apparent to the throne of Eden, the greatest kingdom in the world, was a matter of great honor. Or so he thought, until one day he and his younger brother, Dayo, sneak out of the palace to witness the ghastly truth first hand. The princes’ sheltered existence did not prepare them for the sight of extreme poverty and exploitation which began outside the walls of the palace. To their shame they also discovered, that all the military training they received throughout their growing years was a farce, and didn’t equip them to tackle the real terrors lurking outside.

Frustrated with the state of affairs, Kovu decides to relinquish the throne and become the people’s king. Leaving behind his younger brother as a spy inside the court, he undertakes a dangerous journey, to gather the famed ten Rings of the Kings which supposedly make the owner the greatest ruler that has ever existed. Will he succeed in his mission and save his people from the oppression of the rich?

Clearly, the central attraction of this book, are the illustrations. With the growing popularity of Manga, books accompanied by graphic art are becoming increasingly attractive. While most of the cartoons are in black and white, there are a few colored illustrations for introducing the characters. The imaginative, somewhat over-the-top, and funny illustrations enhance the appeal of the novel.

That is not to say that the storyline wasn’t interesting. The book is hugely inspired from Greek, Roman, Chinese, Korean and Norse mythology, though in this section of the book, the Greek myths are reigning, with a slight trace of Chinese culture as well. I suppose as the story progresses, the other mythological references will feature as well. In this section, the incorporation of Greek mythical references is straightforward to the point of lifting the tales and pasting them in the plot. I wish the author had used the stories more creatively, and I hope that he does so in the succeeding sections.
The plot is uncomplicated but thankfully, it is fast paced with a couple of unexpected twists thrown in along the way to keep the reader engrossed.

The characterization is somewhat typical yet unconventional in its portrayal. For example, Kovu’s spontaneity in asking Busara, a female in a patriarchal set up, to join him in his quest, without consciously trying to challenge societal mores, or freeing Elewa, a teenage boy who had up till then spent his entire life like a caged animal, without a thought to the burden he might be on their journey, sketch a refreshing male lead, who assumes responsibility without any pretension to greatness. The other characters are also impressive, like Dayo with his somewhat caustic sense of humor and unfaltering loyalty towards his brother, or Busara with her practicality and streak of independence.

The concept is pretty entertaining and the plot shows promise. I hope the rest of the book turns out well. I rate it 3 out of 4 stars.

Kovu Part One
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like debo9967's review? Post a comment saying so!
Rachaelamb1
Favorite Author: CS Lewis
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... onwitch</a>
Currently Reading: Falling Star
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachaelamb1.html
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco

Post by Rachaelamb1 »

It sounds like an interesting book. I like how Kovu decides to be the people's King. I don't like it when books are broken up into parts though...I would much rather read the entire thing at once!
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

I love the premise. This sounds very interesting. I hope I get the chance to read the entire series. Great job on the review.
debo9967

Post by debo9967 »

Thank you :)
ananya92
Favorite Author: Jeffrey Archer
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ananya92.html
Latest Review: A Passover in Peshawar by AM Sardar
fav_author_id: 4949

Post by ananya92 »

Seems like an entertaining read. I hope the complete book turns outs good. Nice review!
debo9967

Post by debo9967 »

Thank you!

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”