Dust by Joan Frances Turner

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
TeaAndSpooks
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 50187">The Girl from the Well</a>
Currently Reading: The Bionics
Bookshelf Size: 347
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teaandspooks.html
Latest Review: "Fantasy or Reality" by Ruth Andrews Garnes

Dust by Joan Frances Turner

Post by TeaAndSpooks »

Dust by Joan Frances Turner is not your typical zombie book. Yes, there is the blood, gore, flesh eating delight that comes with every zombie work of fiction-but there is so much more than what meets the eye in this novel. Turner creates a post apocalyptic world and a brand new mythology surrounding the undead. They have lives, gangs, friends, emotions, their own language. It is so incredible!

I give this a 5 out of 5. I really, really enjoyed it. You get to see the main character--Jessie-- go through the process of dying, undying, and dying, and then undying again. You feel her emotions, care about the things she cares about, and see the things that she sees. The author is incredibly clear, crystal clear, in her descriptions, making it very easy to let your imagination inhabit this world she has built for us to explore.

The story is easy to follow, and the writing flows so well. The characters are colorful and well thought out, making them very real considering they are supposed to be the dead walking and talking. I will admit I had a huge hankering for close-to-rare steak after reading this, as her description of the creatures consuming raw meat actually made it sound appealing (not the human bits, of course).

Turner gives zombie books everywhere a run for their money in this comedic, wonderfully written and vivid depiction of plague-ridden Michigan, and the events that caused it all. I personally am not much of a fangirl when it comes to zombie themed supernatural or paranormal novels-- the walking dead and world war z just are not really my cup of tea, ya know? But this book is so much more complex and involved than rotting undead monsters. They are an actual species with behaviors and feelings, which puts a whole new spin on the mythology than anything I have every seen before.

If given the chance, anyone who likes horror, paranormal or macabre, bloody humor should definitely check this book out. It's to die for. :wink:
Latest Review: "Fantasy or Reality" by Ruth Andrews Garnes

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”