Official Review: The Six and the Crystals of Ialana

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Levi
Favorite Author: S. Morgenstern ha ha
Favorite Book: Crik
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Bookshelf Size: 542
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-levi.html
Latest Review: "The Six and the Gardeners of Ialana" by Katlynn Brooke
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: The Six and the Crystals of Ialana

Post by Levi »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Six and the Crystals of Ialana" by Katlynn Brooke.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Six and the Crystals of Ialana by Katlynn Brooke is the first book in the beginning of a series, and one of my new favorite entries in the fantasy genre. Before I go on, I saw that this book was dedicated: "To my mother, who always wanted me to write," and I want to say that the author's mother would be very proud!

In a dark cave, with a rocky floor digging into his knees and a guard who is treating him viciously, we meet El-Azar. He is fearful for his love Faelan, his friends, and a secret mission that is not immediately exposed to the reader. Before he meets his end, he receives a telepathic message from his friends letting him know that all is well for their plan, and that they will all be back. This is a moving beginning with an intriguing final message; one that makes you want to continue to find out what it all means. Our journey then takes us to Meadowfield where we meet one of our main protagonists, Jarah. Jarah is the son of a baker, a birthright that he has no desire to inherit. He begins to have very strange, realistic dreams of an island that seems familiar, and this makes his restlessness grow stronger. Adain and Blaidd are boys from the same village; Adain is nice, but Blaidd is always putting Jarah down. Jarah soon learns that Adain is having the same dreams that he is, and along with him and Blaidd, are swept off with the King's Army to fight in a war. Jarah is happy to have Adain with him, but Blaidd is not having the dreams and therefore cannot be trusted. After this, we continue to meet others that are having the same dreams of this mysterious island, and that is the beginning of our plot development. One of my favorites in this cast of characters is Kex. She is a tough, fiesty character and a welcome addition as the strong female. At one point when explaining her dreams to the group she is interrupted with a question and says, "I was just going to tell you, worthless worm food!" Once affronted by another member, she says, "I've killed large beasts with these arrows. I could kill you too, stink-worm."

The narrative is told in alternating viewpoints, and that aspect was very well done. It was not confusing and therefore was a huge asset to the story. I love reading books that are told in various styles, but only if they are properly executed. I absolutely loved this book, and immediately purchased the second book in the series so that I could continue my journey with the Six. Without giving away too much, there was a metaphysical aspect to the book that transcended the usual magic element intrinsic to the fantasy genre. I think that my fellow lovers of the genre will appreciate this very much; it was my favorite part of the story. The characters are great, the plot is unique, and the world is very rich. There are themes of adventure, slavery and betrayal, freedom and loyalty, perseverance, the cost of unchecked ambition, and greatest of all, love.

There were only a few errors throughout, and that was a welcome change. I thank the author for giving us a complete product that was either very well done or had actually been edited, which seems to be a step that some think is unnecessary these days. The one complaint that I have, which may just be a personal thing, is that some of the dialogue of the main antagonist, Amrafalus, seemed to be stilted. That being said, it was minor, and the antagonist was still a great addition. Amrafalus was very ruthless, and without him the story would not have been the same.

I give The Six and the Crystals of Ialana four out of four stars. As I said before, I have already purchased the next book, and can't wait to continue this journey with my six friends. I strongly recommend this series to all my friends and fellow fantasy lovers as it provides a new and interesting take on our favorite genre.

The Six and the Crystals of Ialana
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Levi's review? Post a comment saying so!
"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." —Ernest Hemingway
bluemel4
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Anne Bishop
Currently Reading: The Dark Tower, Books 1-3
Bookshelf Size: 466
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluemel4.html
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
fav_author_id: 6086

Post by bluemel4 »

Interesting review. It says a lot that you are already reading the second book in the series. I love strong female characters.
"Life is a journey, not a destination" --Ralph Waldo Emerson
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Great review! The book sounds interesting. I too love strong female characters. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
TrishaAnn92
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

Great review! This book sounds great!
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Excellent review! You did a nice job of highlighting the little things that made you love the book. It's a great endorsement that you have already purchased the next installment in the series. Congrats to the author on receiving a 4-star review!
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Levi

Post by Levi »

Thank you everyone, I'm sure you can tell by my long-windedness that I absolutely loved it!! Ha ha
On to book two, already reading and can't wait to see what happens!
"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." —Ernest Hemingway
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Well, your enthusiastic praise of the book will get people interested in reading the book. :)
Levi

Post by Levi »

I agree, and thank you @bookowlie
It always looks shorter until you post it though ha ha
I love it though I like detail without giving away too much.
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

I am the opposite. I often cut out too much...then afterward I think to myself, "Why did I cut out that funny part or nice quote?" Sometimes I wonder if I should just submit my first draft. :)
Levi

Post by Levi »

@bookowlie hahahahaha I've done that too. Either way though as long as it brings attention to a great story, as well as a great new author--like Katlynn Brooke--then it's all worth it!
Rachaelamb1
Favorite Author: CS Lewis
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... onwitch</a>
Currently Reading: Falling Star
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachaelamb1.html
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco

Post by Rachaelamb1 »

Sounds like a great book! That Kex character sounds awesome. :) Thanks for the review. I will add this book to me to-read list.
Levi

Post by Levi »

@Rachaelamb1 thank you so much, that's what I love to hear! And I really love how you got all Irish at the end of your comment.;)
Rachaelamb1
Favorite Author: CS Lewis
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... onwitch</a>
Currently Reading: Falling Star
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachaelamb1.html

Post by Rachaelamb1 »

Levi wrote:@Rachaelamb1 thank you so much, that's what I love to hear! And I really love how you got all Irish at the end of your comment.;)
Haha got to love those typos!
anonanemone
Favorite Author: So many...
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 24">Tinder Stricken</a>
Currently Reading: Outland Exile
Bookshelf Size: 901
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anonanemone.html
Latest Review: "The Shark in the Park" by Mark Watson
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by anonanemone »

You sound so excited about this book! I am intrigued by this statement:
there was a metaphysical aspect to the book that transcended the usual magic element intrinsic to the fantasy genre
I love an approach that brings something new to the fantasy genre! Thanks for the review and congrats to Ms. Brooke!
The world lives between those who say it cannot be done and those who say that it can. And in my experience, those who say that it can be done are usually telling the truth. --Lord Vetinari (Discworld, Raising Steam)
Latest Review: "The Shark in the Park" by Mark Watson
Levi

Post by Levi »

@anonanemone I'm glad you picked up on that, that part really made the book unique! A character was even once explaining things that were happening by saying something to the effect of, "it's not magic." He then went on to explain how things were happening in a metaphysical sense. That was refreshing.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”