Official Review: Finding The Phoenix

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
CzechTigg
Currently Reading: Free Fish Friday
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-czechtigg.html
Latest Review: "Finding the Phoenix" by Caitlin O'Connor

Official Review: Finding The Phoenix

Post by CzechTigg »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Finding The Phoenix" by Caitlin O'Connor. This book is the first of 'The Celestial Talisman' series.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A dead woman has been left in a morgue's cold chamber, but is revived and 'abducted' by a mysterious man. The pair manage to escape the hospital, and reach private lodgings out of the city. The bewildered woman meets other strangers, and her appalling wounds are healed. She is told she has great power.

This surreal opening is utterly gripping. It depicts the thoughts of the woman - called 'Heaven' - and concentrates on her disbelief over being suddenly alive again. She is being helped by the awkward Blake, and cannot believe how kind he is to her. To her mind, things are surely too good to be true.

The mystery eventually clears, and the reason for Heaven's resurrection becomes apparent. She is told that she is a 'Wielder', and one of a small group of women with unique abilities. Heaven can wield the 'Phoenix', and so manipulate fire, in a variety of ways. Despite the Wielders' supernatural advantages, they still rely on their male 'Guardians'; Blake being the one newly assigned to Heaven. Although the Wielders are a positive force, they must also defend themselves from another large group of mystics, who are utterly ruthless and lethal.

As Heaven somehow comprehends the new life she must settle into, the reader is suitably engaged and willing her to succeed. At the same time, there are some intriguing throw-backs to her 'past life'. The author effectively highlights just how different a person Heaven is turning into. Her previous life was overshadowed by an abusive boyfriend, but it eventually becomes just a passing thought.

Heaven is clearly the central character, but O'Connor also describes the thoughts of Blake, and those of Alistair, who is an established Guardian. Both men are quite noble, but Alistair has some vices, and moments of recklessness, whereas Blake rarely takes any undue risk.

Other significant characters feature. The leader of the 'good' sect is known as the 'Keeper', but retains his normal name of 'Robert'. Other Wielders are introduced, and are all more experienced than Heaven. One of these women is Nadia, and she soon becomes an important 'sister figure' for the newcomer. There is also a Wielder/Guardian couple, who have a hidden romance. This only becomes obvious, however, when an unexpected event occurs.

Third person prose features throughout, and it also conveys the deeper thoughts and emotions of Heaven, Blake, and Alistair. There are a variety of locations, which are all within South Africa. These places facilitate Heaven's transition into a fully-fledged Wielder. She has the necessary accommodation, training zones, and social venues. Although most people she meets are helpful, the alternative feel of her surroundings is never forgotten. The astral plane also features in a somewhat abstract manner.

Character development is strong, and the key dramatic twists are executed well. Some sections could have been stilted, but end up as memorably surreal. A varied vocabulary is employed, and the sentences rarely get over-complicated. The focus on the main characters' journeys makes the book quite easy to follow.

Some minor characters also prove involving. This shows the effort O'Connor has put into making the story feel believable. I remember, in particular, the barmaid who Alistair has an on-off relationship with. She is both charismatic, and useful in highlighting the world that these sect members have chosen to forego.

I did find the material on Heaven getting into a daily routine, and acquiring belongings somewhat drawn out. Whilst it covered her raw emotions, the book's pacing was notably weakened. The climactic action scenes also seemed flatly written. Given how well the different 'practice sessions' read, it is odd that the actual 'high stakes' showdown felt less important.

At times, I struggled with dialect or slang that I assume is commonplace in South Africa, but rather less so in other English-speaking countries. However, there was never a crucial section where this became problematic. Additionally, I was unsure about the general mythology and supernatural elements. There perhaps should have been more elaboration, which could feature in the characters' conversation, and the narrative.

Overall, this book is a success. It blends normal life with the supernatural convincingly. O'Connor has impressive powers of imagination, and can depict individuals with relatable strengths and weaknesses. The beginning is very effective, and ensures that the reader wants to know more. There is also a skilful balance, whereby many questions are answered, but new uncertainties are introduced at the same time.

I give the book 3 out of 4 stars. It has many strong elements, but some of the weaknesses I mentioned prevent it from being excellent.

This is a promising debut entry in an ongoing series, and I look forward to more from this author.

Finding The Phoenix
on Bookshelves | on Amazon]
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I am glad you enjoyed the book despite the slang. Thank you for the nice review.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
CzechTigg

Post by CzechTigg »

I do wish that I could use the dictionary feature for certain words as sometimes is necessary with American books. But my kindle seemed stumped there.
khudecek
Favorite Author: Depends on Genre
Favorite Book: The Angel and the Outlaw
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khudecek.html
Latest Review: "See Bride Run!" by Charlotte Hughes

Post by khudecek »

Great review! I have a question, though. Would this book be suitable for a younger crowd? Or is it primarily geared toward adults?
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference

~~
"The Road Not Taken" by Robert Frost
CzechTigg

Post by CzechTigg »

Hi Kristi. Well there is a bit of profanity but nothing too graphic or erotic (though that may change in the next book). It has some quite intense stuff about her former life, but may strike a nerve with a given reader and just be a bit unpleasant for most others.

I think it's kind of designed for both the 'hunger games' / 'twilight' crowd and most other readers who like fantasy mixed with some real world issues.
khudecek

Post by khudecek »

Thanks for the clarification. I'm always looking for something new and interesting for my middle school-aged sons to read. I'm sure what's printed there isn't any worse than what they hear from their dad. ;)

~~
CzechTigg

Post by CzechTigg »

I should also mention that O'Connor may wish to find a dedicated and experienced proof-reader as there are a few little mistakes here and there. Nothing nearly as worrisome as the last book from a prospective author I sampled, but would definitely be noticed by anyone from the age of 10 onward (who cares for spelling and grammar).
stanley
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stanley.html
Latest Review: "Return to the Go-Go" by William Peskett

Post by stanley »

Nice review and very thorough. It's a book I might not have given a second look, but your insightful and carefully thought out analysis makes me reconsider
Latest Review: "Return to the Go-Go" by William Peskett
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Nice, insightful review! I don't read a lot of science fiction/fantasy, but your review has made me interested in reading this book. I like that you mentioned the smooth blend of the supernatural element with normal life. Authors sometimes don't do this well and the supernatural touches seem awkwardly thrown in. Congrats to the author on a positive review. :)
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
charysma_lilly
Favorite Author: too many....
Currently Reading: Before I Fall
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charysma-lilly.html

Post by charysma_lilly »

Great review! The book looks quite interesting and is good you enjoyed it! I also like the way you described the characters, very thorough :)
khudecek

Post by khudecek »

bookowlie wrote:Nice, insightful review! I don't read a lot of science fiction/fantasy, but your review has made me interested in reading this book. I like that you mentioned the smooth blend of the supernatural element with normal life. Authors sometimes don't do this well and the supernatural touches seem awkwardly thrown in. Congrats to the author on a positive review. :)
I agree.

~~
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sounds interesting and quite new. I might like this book. Nice review!
CzechTigg

Post by CzechTigg »

My thanks to everyone for the positive feedback.
Howitz47
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Howitz47 »

I enjoyed this review. It was informative and to the point.Many thanks.
CzechTigg

Post by CzechTigg »

bookowlie wrote:Nice, insightful review! I don't read a lot of science fiction/fantasy, but your review has made me interested in reading this book. I like that you mentioned the smooth blend of the supernatural element with normal life. Authors sometimes don't do this well and the supernatural touches seem awkwardly thrown in. Congrats to the author on a positive review. :)
I hope the author would read my review at some point here, but I do intend to do an alternative version with some more detailed analysis in the near future, and try and let her know via social media.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”