Official Review: A Cold Wind by C. J. Brightley

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Janiac02
Favorite Author: Sarah Woodbury
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading: After Cilmeri Series
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janiac02.html
Latest Review: "A Cold Wind" by C. J. Brightley
fav_author_id: 3314

Official Review: A Cold Wind by C. J. Brightley

Post by Janiac02 »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Cold Wind" by C. J. Brightley.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A Cold Wind is the second volume in the Erdemen Honor series by C.J. Brightley. The novel is set in the fantasy land of Erdem, under the rule of the newly crowned king Hakan Ithel. In volume one, The King’s Sword, Kemen Sendoa helped Hakan regain his crown from a usurper. Now Kemen is one of the most respected and honoured men in Erdem, taking on the responsibilities of General and Ambassador for the king.

Riona, a servant girl, is intrigued by Kemen, though her shy nature and sense of propriety will not allow her to act on her interest. Kemen is certain he must be physically repulsive to any woman, but has a growing hope that he might win the affection of Riona, who seems to welcome his attentions. The courtship of the pair is all that is polite and proper, but when neither is able to adequately speak their thoughts and feelings the breakdown in communication could forever cost them their happiness. Despite his troubled heart, Kemen must continue in his duty to his King and country, which takes him far away from Riona and into the dangerous, frigid Tundra north of Erdem to face the Tarvil threat and secure the border and the safety of his people.

In a previous review I mentioned my deep admiration for Kemen Sendoa’s character. His character continues to shine in this book. Kemen the honourable warrior I already knew much about, but Kemen, suitor to Riona is the picture of tenderness and humility without the need for flowery language and dramatic displays of affection. The romance adds another level of depth to his character, and Riona’s perspective as a servant adds to the reader’s understanding of life in the palace.

Ms. Brightley uses a 1st person journal-like narrative, which includes hindsight commentary the characters use to justify or qualify their actions or reactions. This choice of writing style diminishes the suspense marginally, but I continue to enjoy being privy to the inner workings of these characters’ minds. The ending chapters set the stage for an exciting third volume, Honor’s Heir, and I am anxious to begin reading it.

Though A Cold Wind 's central plot is a love story there are also significant developments in Hakan’s life, as told through the point of view of Kemen and Riona. There is also plenty of action to sate those who enjoy the Fantasy genre for its battles and politics. I believe this book would appeal to both teenagers and adults. There are mild descriptions of battle wounds being inflicted and cared for, references to rape, a mildly graphic description of a rotting corpse, and a graphic description of a hanging. There are a few instances of derogatory race related comments being made. The language is clean throughout. If books followed the same rating scale as films, I believe it would be rated PG-13.

I rate A Cold Wind 4 out of 4 stars. C.J. Brightley has created an intricate world that is simultaneously very different from our own, yet easy to understand. The characters are easy to identify with, and their individual voices are distinct. I do not recommend reading this series out of order, but I believe this story will appeal to those who enjoy a more realistic version of Fantasy as well as those who enjoy a good Period Drama. The tones of the first and second volumes of this series are markedly different, but equally intriguing. I hope this series will make its way on to your bookshelves.

A Cold Wind
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords

Like Janiac02's review? Post a comment saying so!
CJBrightley
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cjbrightley.html

Post by CJBrightley »

I'm so glad you enjoyed A Cold Wind. Thank you for a lovely review!
Last edited by CJBrightley on 17 Nov 2015, 12:22, edited 1 time in total.
Janiac02
Favorite Author: Sarah Woodbury
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading: After Cilmeri Series
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janiac02.html
fav_author_id: 3314

Post by Janiac02 »

It was my pleasure-- thank you for requesting me :)
rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

Very nice review! It sounds like a good series to check out!
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

I enjoyed reading your review. I like books where you get insight in the character's inner thoughts and motivations.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”