Official Review: Nyxe by Jedaiah Ramnarine

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
anonanemone
Favorite Author: So many...
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 24">Tinder Stricken</a>
Currently Reading: Outland Exile
Bookshelf Size: 901
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anonanemone.html
Latest Review: "The Shark in the Park" by Mark Watson
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Official Review: Nyxe by Jedaiah Ramnarine

Post by anonanemone »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Nyxe" by Jedaiah Ramnarine.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Nyxe may be the most poetic science fiction book I have read in a long time. This is true because not only are several of the chapters prefaced with bits of original and germane poetry, but the visualization the author conveys is at times stunning.

Nyxe is a genetically enhanced young woman, presumably in her late teens, who we first meet as 'Test Subject 17.' Guru is an Artificial Intelligence (AI) who is 17's lone companion and mentor. Once awakened from her nearly 400 year slumber, subject 17 is presumed to be the last living woman on a post-apocalyptic Earth charged to make the planet habitable for humans. Did humanity really wipe itself out? Can one AI and one human girl repopulate the Earth and restore an idealized humanity to the planet?

The scientists that modified 17 operate on the premise that the basic faults of humanity can be eradicated through genetics and a lack of exposure to 'tainted' humans. Once the reader moves past such an obvious oversimplification the story flows well. Nyxe explores the stark compound which housed her and the outside world with a sense of wonder and beauty for each new experience. The descriptive visualization is enthralling. The story induces the reader forward with its measured pace of discovery, propelled by the enthusiastic and uncontainable Nyxe.

The biggest critique I have of this novel is the awkward phrasing and strangely structured sentences scattered throughout. These instances can be confusing and are detractive from the reader's experience. One example is as follows: "I smiled delightfully and lusting the desire to get as clean as possible." At times it feels as though the text is taken either from a translation or that English is a second language for the author.

Another issue with the novel is strange incidents of anthropomorphic thinking. One example is: "It's a waterfall after all, housed with this beautiful luminescence calling me to dive in her and explore." Another example alludes to the East and West as sisters: "I see, so that would mean east would be a contrast to west - an excitement of her sister's taste." It is difficult to determine whether this type of reference makes the story more poetic or whether it is just plain distracting.

Nyxe by Jedaiah Ramnarine is a truly compelling coming of age story appropriate and enjoyable for any who enjoy science fiction, a good coming of age story or a new approach to the post-apocalyptic story. Due to the awkward structuring of sentences and random anthropomorphism, I must remove a star from the rating I would otherwise award this book. Therefore, I give Nyxe a rating of 3 out of 4 stars.

Nyxe
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like anonanemone's review? Post a comment saying so!
The world lives between those who say it cannot be done and those who say that it can. And in my experience, those who say that it can be done are usually telling the truth. --Lord Vetinari (Discworld, Raising Steam)
Jedaiah X
Favorite Author: Jedaiah Ramnarine
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 7">Cognata: A Vampire Romance</a>
Bookshelf Size: 23
fav_author_id: 23536

Post by Jedaiah X »

Thanks for the review,

It's great you enjoyed the book, although I think some of your critique is subjective as the phrasing could be appreciated by one audience and deterred by another. That's just the risk of making artistic, ambitious material. Some of it will be hit and miss. The question is: what audience are you trying to please?

Either way, the ambition did pay off. Nyxe managed to hit multiple bestseller lists, particularly #1 in Dystopian and Military SciFi Bestsellers AU.

One thing this book has personally taught me, is something beyond the entertainment value. It's taught me that dreams can come true, as long as you're willing to go out and push blood, sweat and tears for it. Don't sit around and hope for anything. Get out there and will your dream into reality.

This is especially true for new authors who are stepping into a very over-saturated market. Many of the 'guides' out there do more harm than good. One author's success is not necessarily going to work for another. What will, however, universally work - is that you never give up.

No matter what anyone says.

PS: Thanks for the critique, I'll be noting your words and taking them into consideration for improvement on future titles. Nyxe II especially, since I have no choice but to make a sequel :)
Last edited by Jedaiah X on 14 Nov 2015, 12:41, edited 2 times in total.
Rachaelamb1
Favorite Author: CS Lewis
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... onwitch</a>
Currently Reading: Falling Star
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachaelamb1.html
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco

Post by Rachaelamb1 »

Very interesting review. I do not think I would enjoy the style of writing, but I'm sure people with more of a poetic taste would like it.
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco
rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

Very nice review! It sounds like quite the interesting story.
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Great review! The premise sounds intriguing enough, and 3 stars is still good.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
anonanemone
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 24">Tinder Stricken</a>

Post by anonanemone »

Jedaiah X wrote:Thanks for the review,

It's great you enjoyed the book, although I think some of your critique is subjective as the phrasing could be appreciated by one audience and deterred by another. That's just the risk of making artistic, ambitious material. Some of it will be hit and miss. The question is: what audience are you trying to please?

Either way, the ambition did pay off. Nyxe managed to hit multiple bestseller lists, particularly #1 in Dystopian and Military SciFi Bestsellers AU.

One thing this book has personally taught me, is something beyond the entertainment value. It's taught me that dreams can come true, as long as you're willing to go out and push blood, sweat and tears for it. Don't sit around and hope for anything. Get out there and will your dream into reality.

This is especially true for new authors who are stepping into a very over-saturated market. Many of the 'guides' out there do more harm than good. One author's success is not necessarily going to work for another. What will, however, universally work - is that you never give up.

PS: Thanks for the critique, I'll be noting your words and taking them into consideration for improvement on future titles. Nyxe II especially, since I have no choice but to make a sequel :)
:D Congratulations on your book taking off! I really enjoyed it. I wouldn't have expected it to make it a military sci-fi list but that's still pretty awesome. I look forward to seeing Nyxe II come out!

Thank you for your kind words gali, rssllue, and rachaellamb!
The world lives between those who say it cannot be done and those who say that it can. And in my experience, those who say that it can be done are usually telling the truth. --Lord Vetinari (Discworld, Raising Steam)
rssllue
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

You are most welcome! Image
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
Jedaiah X
Favorite Author: Jedaiah Ramnarine
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 7">Cognata: A Vampire Romance</a>
Bookshelf Size: 23
fav_author_id: 23536

Post by Jedaiah X »

anonanemone wrote:
Jedaiah X wrote:Thanks for the review,

:D Congratulations on your book taking off! I really enjoyed it. I wouldn't have expected it to make it a military sci-fi list but that's still pretty awesome. I look forward to seeing Nyxe II come out!
When it does come out, you will have yourself to thank for making it better than I previously dreamed of and making me a better writer in general. I'd like to thank you and online book club once more for this opportunity. :)
anonanemone

Post by anonanemone »

Still lovin the hat. Are you still refusing the share with graverobber? Really taking it to heart I guess... :lol:

-- 14 Nov 2015, 13:30 --

Thank you, Jedaiah. I apreciate that criticism is hard to take even when meant to be constructive. I applaud you for being open minded. I wish you the best of luck!
Sarah G
Favorite Author: Brandon Sanderson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-g.html
Latest Review: Smith by Sam B Miller II
fav_author_id: 4040

Post by Sarah G »

Great review! I've just recently read Jedaian Ramnarine's first book and am intrigued as to how his writing has developed. Might have to put this on my 'to read' list :-)
The purpose of a storyteller is not to tell you how to think, but to give you questions to think upon
anonanemone

Post by anonanemone »

Thank you, Sarah! Eon Seven sounds much more complicated than Nyxe. It's always interesting to see author development over time. :)
Tanaya
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tanaya.html
Latest Review: Beans...Finding My Way Home by Debi Brown
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Tanaya »

Great review! I like the premise, but I'm not sure how I feel about the poetic aspect of it (I'm just not that big a fan of poetry). Congrats to the author regardless. I appreciated those words of encouragement for aspiring writers.
anonanemone

Post by anonanemone »

I'm not really a big poetry fan either. It just had more of a poetic feel to me for some reason. The pieces of poetry included are really only a few lines at a time. :)
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sounds like my kind of book. It seems very interesting I could overlook the poetic parts. I hope I get the chance to read it. Congratulations to Jedaiah Ramnarine for a wonderful book!
anonanemone

Post by anonanemone »

I hope you get a chance to read the book too!

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”