Official Review: Crik by Karl Beer

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Eric Morris
Favorite Author: Brandon Sanderson
Currently Reading: The Other Daughter
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jacnthabox.html
Latest Review: Acts of the Shaddai by Anthony Jones
fav_author_id: 4040

Official Review: Crik by Karl Beer

Post by Eric Morris »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Crik" by Karl Beer.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I’m always apprehensive when selecting a fantasy novel by an unfamiliar author due to the extremely high bar set for this genre. The list of top fantasy authors has no shortage of easily recognizable names, like J.R.R. Tolkien; George R.R. Martin; Robert Jordan; and R.A. Salvatore. Relative newcomers, such as Brandon Sanderson; Brandon Mull; and Steven Erickson; are also well on their way to prominence and will soon take their respective places among the greats. For such an exclusive, niche market, the fantasy genre is inundated with some of the best writers of our time; for this reason, any fantasy novel that is less than exquisite is sure to become lost in the proverbial shuffle. With this in mind, I sat down to read Crik, a fantasy novel from debut author Karl Beer. Crik seemed to have a strong premise and a heavy dose of originality, which is a must in a genre laden with recycled themes, plots, and characters. In short, Mr. Beer did not disappoint; as it happens, Crik is easily one of the best novels I’ve read in recent memory.

Crik is a small village nestled in the vast and dark Crik Wood. The residents of Crik are unique in that almost all of them bear unique “Talents.” One boy has extremely good vision. Another woman can grow a seed into a fruit-bearing tree in a matter of minutes. Yet another man can communicate with insects. Jack’s Talent is that his shadow has free will and can contort and change shape on cue; this Talent has not served him well because his shadow, named Yang, is mischievous and ends up causing a lot more trouble than he’s worth. Jack’s best friend Bill has no Talent and is treated as second-class by the kids in the village. The two are, for different reasons, the outcasts of the small town. However, things begin to change one stormy night as a visitor from the Wood arrives under cover of darkness, and through his window Jack sees the stranger bury an object in front of Bill’s house. Jack almost immediately unearths the object and inadvertently opens a Pandora’s Box of mystery. It doesn’t take long before Bill finds his Talent; Jack finds that the Talents may not be what they seem; and they both find that the entire town has a history that may not be as respectable as Jack and Bill have been raised to believe. Jack’s obsession with solving the riddles of his Talent and his town’s history lead him and Bill to the darkest regions of Crik Wood, where they will encounter strange friends, demonic foes, and a few who lie somewhere in the middle. Even if they do find out the truth, they may not survive long enough to tell their story…

I had to read but a few chapters of Crik to realize that I was holding something special; to simply say that Crik was good doesn’t do the book any amount of justice. Mr. Beer has created a rich, complete world that is simultaneously beautiful and macabre, surreal yet eerily familiar. The story itself is masterfully told, and the author was able to make his adventure “come alive.” I could identify as much with Jack’s mistrust of Talents as I could with Bill’s blind allegiance to them, and I found myself cheering the resulting strengths of each character (and cursing the weaknesses). What truly set the novel apart, however, is Mr. Beer’s ability to at-once be as lighthearted as Lewis Carroll and gruesome as Stephen King. While it is true that Crik Wood is a magical place full of wondrous surprises waiting to be discovered, it is also a place of darkness where evil is patiently waiting for the opportune moment to seize its prey. When these two personalities converge, the result can be brutal, gory, and tragic. The result is a roller coaster of highs and lows that kept me on the edge of my seat, pouring through chapter after chapter. I cannot express how much I truly enjoyed this novel.

I will warn you that this book shares another common trait among fantasy novels: It’s long. It might not be War and Peace long, but Crik is no quick read. The book is a solid adventure that tells a complete story, and casual readers may be overwhelmed by the novel’s depth. In addition, this book is not for all ages. While Crik is reminiscent of popular children’s authors like Brandon Mull or Chris Colfer, there is a little coarse language; a couple of innuendos; and enough graphic imagery to give younger readers nightmares. That being said, this book is not marketed toward younger readers, although if they have already been introduced to the likes of Cassandra Claire or Joseph Delaney, then Crik is probably safe. Either way, as an adult and an avid reader, Crik completely won this reviewer over.

I am enthusiastically awarding Crik 4 out of 4 Stars; I would feel shameful rating it any less. Karl Beer is that diamond in the rough, that needle in the haystack that you hope for when you try an unknown author. Crik is simply a masterwork of fantasy fiction - Disney meets The Dark Tower – and you’re not required to be a fan of orcs, ogres, and wizards to fall in love with this book. If you’re looking for one heck of a good adventure, look no further; you’ve just found one.

Crik
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like jacnthabox's review? Post a comment saying so!
Tell me something...You ever dance with the devil in the pale moonlight?
narmacil
Bookshelf Size: 1

Post by narmacil »

I am overwhelmed by your review of my novel. It took me by a long road to complete and seeing how it has been received has made every step worthwhile. A fantastic review which I hope will encourage others to read the tale.

All the best,
Karl
Eric Morris

Post by Eric Morris »

narmacil wrote:I am overwhelmed by your review of my novel. It took me by a long road to complete and seeing how it has been received has made every step worthwhile. A fantastic review which I hope will encourage others to read the tale.

All the best,
Karl
Thank you for your kind words! I eagerly await your next work!!
PashaRu
Currently Reading: Vicars of Christ - The Dark Side of the Papacy
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pasharu.html
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd

Post by PashaRu »

Excellent review, extremely well written. I don't read this genre, but I could almost be convinced to read this by your enthusiasm.
[Insert quote here. Read. Raise an eyebrow. Be mildly amused. Rinse & repeat.]
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd
Eric Morris

Post by Eric Morris »

PashaRu wrote:Excellent review, extremely well written. I don't read this genre, but I could almost be convinced to read this by your enthusiasm.
Thank you for the kind words!! If you were ever wanting to give something a try, this would be the book. It is a first rate adventure with subtle twists and plenty of intrigue. This book is just good old fashioned storytelling.
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

I already have this on my to read list (thank you, @"Escapeartist").
And if I didn't, I probably would now. Great review!
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
Eric Morris

Post by Eric Morris »

Graverobber wrote:I already have this on my to read list (thank you, @"Escapeartist").
And if I didn't, I probably would now. Great review!
Thank you! @EscapeArtist definitely has interesting bookshelves. I've perused them a couple of times looking for good stuff to read.
Levi
Favorite Author: S. Morgenstern ha ha
Favorite Book: Crik
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Bookshelf Size: 542
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-levi.html
Latest Review: "The Six and the Gardeners of Ialana" by Katlynn Brooke
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Levi »

@jacnthabox absolutely amazing review!!! I couldn't imagine a better review for this amazing book. If there was anything I left out of my review, you said it. I couldn't be happier as I loved this book, and I'm so glad that you reviewed it. I don't think anyone will understand our passion until they read it. Read it everyone. Do yourself a favor and read it!!
"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." —Ernest Hemingway
Latest Review: "The Six and the Gardeners of Ialana" by Katlynn Brooke
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

This book is already on my list (due to scapeartist's recommendation) and you strengthened my decision. Thank you for the enthusiastic review.
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Eric Morris

Post by Eric Morris »

Escapeartist wrote:@jacnthabox absolutely amazing review!!! I couldn't imagine a better review for this amazing book. If there was anything I left out of my review, you said it. I couldn't be happier as I loved this book, and I'm so glad that you reviewed it. I don't think anyone will understand our passion until they read it. Read it everyone. Do yourself a favor and read it!!
^^^This. I don't want to blow it up too much, but escapeartist couldn't be any more correct. This book is phenomenal!!! Thank you for your kind words, sir.

-- 16 Oct 2015, 00:07 --
gali wrote:This book is already on my list (due to scapeartist's recommendation) and you strengthened my decision. Thank you for the enthusiastic review.
You should move this book up a couple of notches. You'll be glad you did. I'm reading Erikson's Forge of Darkness right now, but if Mr. Beer published a new novel tomorrow if gladly set it aside. I have that much esteem for his work. I'm trying not to sound fanboy, but it really is that good.
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

Is it strange that the shadow/mischief thing reminds me of Peter Pan? :shifty:

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
Tanaya
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tanaya.html
Latest Review: Beans...Finding My Way Home by Debi Brown
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Tanaya »

What an introduction, my goodness. Those are some pretty high expectations to live up to. Congratulations to the author and awesome review. It was a joy to read. :)
Eric Morris

Post by Eric Morris »

Tanaya wrote:What an introduction, my goodness. Those are some pretty high expectations to live up to. Congratulations to the author and awesome review. It was a joy to read. :)
Thank you!! Again, I wasn't trying to overstate at all, but whew, Crik is just amazing. What a refreshing experience to read a debut novel that's put together as well as this one. If you like fantasy, you are going to love this.
bluemel4
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Anne Bishop
Currently Reading: The Dark Tower, Books 1-3
Bookshelf Size: 466
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluemel4.html
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 6086

Post by bluemel4 »

Outstanding review! I am going to have to read this one. It reminds me a bit of a show called Haven on sy-fy.
"Life is a journey, not a destination" --Ralph Waldo Emerson
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Eric Morris

Post by Eric Morris »

bluemel4 wrote:Outstanding review! I am going to have to read this one. It reminds me a bit of a show called Haven on sy-fy.
Thank you! And I might have to check out Haven as well!

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”