Official Review: The Blood Queen by S. J. Bach

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jesska6029
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: The Harry Potter series
Currently Reading: It and Mr. Mercedes
Bookshelf Size: 279
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jesska6029.html
Latest Review: "Texaners: Eight Short Stories" by T. F. Rhoden
fav_author_id: 1778

Official Review: The Blood Queen by S. J. Bach

Post by Jesska6029 »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Blood Queen" by S. J. Bach.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Blood Queen by S. J. Bach is a novel in the science fiction and fantasy genre.

After the murder of her mother's boyfriend, Olivia and her mother are placed under the protection of the FBI. Olivia believes her life cannot get anymore complicated, but she soon finds out just how wrong she is. When her mother is abducted and Olivia's life is threatened, fate sends Olivia crashing into the path of a mysterious and fiercely protective man named Rhys. While with Rhys, Olivia discovers just how much she does not know about the world and the creatures in it, and she learns that Rhys is not just an average human man. In her journey of discovery, Olivia comes to realize humans are not the only things in the world she should fear.

The Blood Queen is the first book in the Lamia Race series. The book starts off strong. I was hooked by the mystery surrounding the Lamias, and I wanted to plow through the book, so I could get answers to all of my questions. The writing style is great. Bach provides great details and definitely "shows", not "tells", readers everything. There is a definite flow to the writing. The pacing of the plot is quick, but questions are drawn out just long enough to create tension and intrigue. Bach's talent for crafting interesting stories shines through the pages of this book.

The characters are mostly very likable. Olivia is a strong female lead most of the time, but I found that she comes across as whiney and immature in certain areas of the book. When she argues with Rhys, the language she uses is very, very immature. She is 18, so it does makes sense for her to sound and act young, but I did catch myself rolling my eyes when she would try to insult Rhys. Rhys is a great male lead. He is strong, but he does not impose his will onto Olivia, which is refreshing because a lot of stories about strong men involve the men taking all of the power away from female characters. The minor characters all play important roles, and they are developed and well-rounded. The minor characters are a welcome addition in certain scenes because they prevent conversations between Olivia and Rhys from stalling the plot.

The one criticism I do have is that the ending felt rushed.There are a lot of big events packed into a very small number of pages. A lot of these events are meant to have large impacts, but their impacts are barely felt. There is enough action at the end for Bach to have created another story, and I think it would have been better if Bach had done just that, instead of trying to fit too much into the ending.

I give The Blood Queen by S. J. Bach 3 out of 4 stars. If the ending hadn't been so rushed, I would have given this book 4 stars without hesitation. I recommend this book to anyone who likes science fiction and fantasy and romance. This book is great for anyone interested in reading about supernatural creatures as well. I have not looked to see if the second book in the series is available yet, but if it is, I will read it in the near future.

The Blood Queen
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Jesska6029's review? Post a comment saying so!
“Some failure in life is inevitable. It is impossible to live without failing at something, unless you live so cautiously that you might as well not have lived at all—in which case, you fail by default.” ~J.K. Rowling
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A pity about the ending as the book sounds intriguing. Great review! :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
bluemel4
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Anne Bishop
Currently Reading: The Dark Tower, Books 1-3
Bookshelf Size: 466
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluemel4.html
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 6086

Post by bluemel4 »

Wonderful review! It is unfortunate that the author did not give the ending time to really make an impact. If you are willing to read the second book in the series that is a good enough recommendation for me! Is this book Urban Fantasy? Either way I am adding it to my to-read list.
"Life is a journey, not a destination" --Ralph Waldo Emerson
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Jesska6029

Post by Jesska6029 »

gali wrote:A pity about the ending as the book sounds intriguing. Great review! :)
Thank you!

-- 27 Sep 2015, 05:29 --
bluemel4 wrote:Wonderful review! It is unfortunate that the author did not give the ending time to really make an impact. If you are willing to read the second book in the series that is a good enough recommendation for me! Is this book Urban Fantasy? Either way I am adding it to my to-read list.
Thank you! I don't know that I would label it urban fantasy. I definitely hope you like it!
“Some failure in life is inevitable. It is impossible to live without failing at something, unless you live so cautiously that you might as well not have lived at all—in which case, you fail by default.” ~J.K. Rowling
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Great review! Even if the ending was rushed, I'm glad you were able to enjoy the book.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Jesska6029

Post by Jesska6029 »

bookowlie wrote:Great review! Even if the ending was rushed, I'm glad you were able to enjoy the book.
Thank you! I really loved the concept of the book, and I am really interested in reading the next one!
Tanaya
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tanaya.html
Latest Review: Beans...Finding My Way Home by Debi Brown
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Tanaya »

Sounds like a good book. I don't think I would like the quick pace, but I am impressed based on your description of his showing rather than telling writing style. That's a big plus for me. Great review!
PashaRu
Currently Reading: Vicars of Christ - The Dark Side of the Papacy
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pasharu.html
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd

Post by PashaRu »

Thanks for such a well-written, substantive review. I really enjoyed reading it. Too bad about the ending, and I think I'd be rolling my eyes at the same things you did. Great job!
[Insert quote here. Read. Raise an eyebrow. Be mildly amused. Rinse & repeat.]
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Forever Twelve

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

Great review! Interesting about the ending. Sci-fi and fantasy aren't really my things, but you gave me a good sense of this book!
Jesska6029

Post by Jesska6029 »

Tanaya wrote:Sounds like a good book. I don't think I would like the quick pace, but I am impressed based on your description of his showing rather than telling writing style. That's a big plus for me. Great review!
Thank you so much!

-- 29 Sep 2015, 17:55 --
PashaRu wrote:Thanks for such a well-written, substantive review. I really enjoyed reading it. Too bad about the ending, and I think I'd be rolling my eyes at the same things you did. Great job!
Sometimes I think I roll my eyes too much, but I believe it was justified in this case. Thanks for the kind words!

-- 29 Sep 2015, 17:56 --
zeldas_lullaby wrote:Great review! Interesting about the ending. Sci-fi and fantasy aren't really my things, but you gave me a good sense of this book!
Thank you very much! I'm glad you found it informative!
bettybug35
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by bettybug35 »

Great review! I always like your reviews! I think it's great the male character doesn't overpower the female character. I agree that happens too much in literature.
Jesska6029

Post by Jesska6029 »

bettybug35 wrote:Great review! I always like your reviews! I think it's great the male character doesn't overpower the female character. I agree that happens too much in literature.
I know! Thanks for the kind words!
ananya92
Favorite Author: Jeffrey Archer
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ananya92.html
Latest Review: A Passover in Peshawar by AM Sardar
fav_author_id: 4949

Post by ananya92 »

Good review. :) The book seems interesting, despite the rushed ending.
debo9967
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debo9967.html
Latest Review: "Self Examination" by VK Grover

Post by debo9967 »

Nice review! The book seems pretty interesting.
Latest Review: "Self Examination" by VK Grover
Jesska6029

Post by Jesska6029 »

ananya92 wrote:Good review. :) The book seems interesting, despite the rushed ending.
Thank you!

-- 01 Oct 2015, 04:34 --
debo9967 wrote:Nice review! The book seems pretty interesting.
Thanks! It's super interesting!

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”