Official Review: The Shadow Soul by K. Williams

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
literarycat
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Currently Reading: Survivors: Secrets
Bookshelf Size: 2331
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-literarycat.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi
Reading Device: B004DLPXAO
fav_author_id: 2881

Official Review: The Shadow Soul by K. Williams

Post by literarycat »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Shadow Soul" by K. Williams.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Shadow Soul by K. Williams is the first book in the Trailokya series. It is a fantasy novel which focuses on the harrowing trials of Maiel, a female warrior captain of Zion.

Zion warriors are the winged guardians of lesser souls, and Maiel is their captain. These warriors help guide lesser souls onto the next stage in life, but there are also sinister forces from Jahannam (a prison realm) which feed of the energy of these souls. Maiel almost loses a human girl to one of the forces: Mort. The captain escapes to earth to evade answering questions from her elders. While in the earthly realm, she is pursued by a baron of Jahannam, and he is not a friend. Now Maiel needs to evade the attacks of this baron while hiding from her superiors. Will she manage to escape and redeem herself?

There are a lot of things going into this novel. It is interesting seeing a different take on the good verses evil plot line with the guardians battling the energy feeders of Jahannam. We see a very strong and powerful female character in Maiel. She is an intensely developed and complex character. In the first few chapters, we see her not only as a brave warrior, but also a fragile wife and mother. Readers get to view her as a multi-dimensional character rather than just a warrior captain. She struggles with a wall being built between herself and her husband as well as self doubt and guilt over almost losing a charge. The emotions she displays are ones we all can relate to when we almost fail or fail at something we work so hard at. She uses her intelligence and skills to overcome any and all hardships that come her way. Her actions and thoughts reflect the idea that belief in oneself is more powerful than any weapon an enemy may have.

The terminology used throughout was difficult to pick up on, I continued to have to look in the back to see what words meant such as amba, janyya, and sattva. Once I was able to familiarize myself with the language, it was easy to apply throughout the rest of the novel. I personally enjoyed all the various references to different mythologies and folklore. For example the warriors are often referenced as "Horus-helmed guardians," a slight reference to the Egyptian god. Then Maiel spends time with Naiads which are creatures from Greek mythology. These references add a certain quality to the novel, almost giving the sense that all beliefs can work together in harmony. It never once seems odd to have a reference to Egyptian mythology one moment then a Greek mythology reference the next.

Williams has a knack for creating intriguing dialogue and such vivid descriptions that the readers can easy visualize everything. Williams takes many different elements from science, mythology, religion, alien life, even time travel, but it all perfectly flows together. Nothing felt out of place in the world Williams created for us. Readers are left feeling completely satisfied and eager for the next installment of the series.

I absolutely loved reading this book and would recommend it to anyone who likes fantasy, mythology, suspenseful stories, or simply just a good novel to read on a rainy day. I give The Shadow Soul 4 out of 4 because it held my attention throughout the novel. Also because it felt like a unique story the whole time I was reading it.

The Shadow Soul
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like literarycat's review? Post a comment saying so!
The world breaks everyone, and afterwards, some are strong at the broken points ~ Ernest Hemingway.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Sounds intriguing! Nice review! :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
literarycat

Post by literarycat »

Thank you Gali. I wasn't sure about it when I picked it but I am glad I did. It was a wild ride throughout the story.
The world breaks everyone, and afterwards, some are strong at the broken points ~ Ernest Hemingway.
Tanaya
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tanaya.html
Latest Review: Beans...Finding My Way Home by Debi Brown
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Tanaya »

Wow. The cover already had me intrigued, but hearing what it's actually about really has me hooked. The terminology aspect, however, would probably be a hindrance to me. Anyway, this was an awesome review.
literarycat

Post by literarycat »

Tanaya wrote:Wow. The cover already had me intrigued, but hearing what it's actually about really has me hooked. The terminology aspect, however, would probably be a hindrance to me. Anyway, this was an awesome review.
The cover drew me in too. My mom seen it and commented that it was a cool cover. The story was great, and yea the terminology didn't make sense like ambya I think was for mother or father and there were other terms used so it didn't really make sense.
LivreAmour217
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

This sounds like a really enjoyable book, and you've written a great review that has me very curious! The terminology might be a little annoying, but it sounds like you grew accustomed to it, and the story itself sounds worthwhile enough to learn the unique words and phrases. Again, very nice review! :)
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
Cee-Jay Aurinko
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Favorite Book: The Dark Tower 1 - The Gunslinger
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cee-jay-aurinko.html
Latest Review: "Higgins Hotel" by Carla Coffman
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Cee-Jay Aurinko »

This book had me by its cover. I simply have to jot it down on my to read list. The plot does sound very unique - Egyptian and Greek mythological elements together with time travel is definitely a book I look forward to reading. Thanks literarycat for a fun review. I hereby give you one extremely resounding standing ovation!
"Might as well drink the ocean with a spoon as argue with a lover." -- The Dark Tower 2, Stephen King
Latest Review: "Higgins Hotel" by Carla Coffman
Levi
Favorite Author: S. Morgenstern ha ha
Favorite Book: Crik
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Bookshelf Size: 542
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-levi.html
Latest Review: "The Six and the Gardeners of Ialana" by Katlynn Brooke
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Levi »

Absolutely fantastic @literarycat I will add this to my list. The story sounds amazing, and I don't mind a complex story with it's own language as it is more engaging. Very well done!!
"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." —Ernest Hemingway
Latest Review: "The Six and the Gardeners of Ialana" by Katlynn Brooke
literarycat

Post by literarycat »

Thank you all :).

Leon Durham my mom commented that the cover was beautiful as well, now she wants to read it.
Escapey sometimes the complex stories are what reminds me why I love reading so much.
Kappy
Favorite Author: Isaac Asimov
Favorite Book: The Essene Gospel of Peace
Currently Reading: McGee & Stuckey's Bountiful Container
Bookshelf Size: 762
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kappy.html
Latest Review: "The Big Exoneration" by Dennis Sanchez
fav_author_id: 2547

Post by Kappy »

Excellent review. Books with first-rate dialogue are almost always good.
Good Thoughts, Good Words, Good Deeds
Latest Review: "The Big Exoneration" by Dennis Sanchez
anonanemone
Favorite Author: So many...
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 24">Tinder Stricken</a>
Currently Reading: Outland Exile
Bookshelf Size: 901
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anonanemone.html
Latest Review: "The Shark in the Park" by Mark Watson
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by anonanemone »

It sounds like this book has a lot of elements I would enjoy, especially if they are pulled together well. This is making it onto the list :D
The world lives between those who say it cannot be done and those who say that it can. And in my experience, those who say that it can be done are usually telling the truth. --Lord Vetinari (Discworld, Raising Steam)
Latest Review: "The Shark in the Park" by Mark Watson

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”