Official Review: The White Orchid and the Willow

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Re: Official Review: The White Orchid and the Willow

Post by gali »

bookowlie wrote:Gali, I meant I thought Kappy's review was mainly complimentary, so I didn't see the reason for the hurt feelings. Anyway, the review is nice and balanced. Good job!
I didn't mean your remarks. :wink:

I agree and think the same about the review. 8)
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Cee-Jay Aurinko
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Favorite Book: The Dark Tower 1 - The Gunslinger
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cee-jay-aurinko.html
Latest Review: "Higgins Hotel" by Carla Coffman
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Cee-Jay Aurinko »

Plot sounds very interesting. I enjoyed reading your review, Kappy.
"Might as well drink the ocean with a spoon as argue with a lover." -- The Dark Tower 2, Stephen King
Latest Review: "Higgins Hotel" by Carla Coffman
ireakhavok
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by ireakhavok »

Thank you gali for taking care of those. Kappy The review was definitely balanced, and there is no fault there! It was honestly written and despite wanting more of a review to read, I am happy with what you had to say about it. There is so much I'd like people to see. I just hope that people will be able to take a look and delve deeper into the story. I will continue to make this better abd. Thank you guys for the support. It means something to me to have experienced forum members care about a thread.

-- 12 Aug 2015, 14:13 --
Leon Durham wrote:Plot sounds very interesting. I enjoyed reading your review, Kappy.

The plot was a means for me to tell a deeper story. Most people have focused their reviews on the plot, and I don't blame them! Although I made a very interesting plot, if you decide to read it, try to see the literary elements hidden in the story. I hid some things too well. Some element that I wrote, are so specific, that they will probably never be realized. Thank you for your post!
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

You are welcome! 8)
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
ireakhavok

Post by ireakhavok »

I spoke with Kappy, and have made numerous fixes to the manuscript. Please take a look at the previews within a day or so to see the updated manuscript!
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Forever Twelve

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

Great job! Yay!
ireakhavok

Post by ireakhavok »

If you guys spot an error, are confused, or would like to make a suggestion, Please pm me.

-- 14 Aug 2015, 20:14 --

the reviews are pending, and most should be finished within a couple hours. Every version including the paper copies have been updated. I'll let you guys know when the updates are live! thanks.
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

Sounds fabulous. I received and uploaded some corrections in my book after it was published, too. I HOPE I've found them all now, but who knows...? It's a tricky business! :-)
ireakhavok

Post by ireakhavok »

The updates are live! Also, my kickstarter campaign just ended, so the corrections were made just in time. I've sold a few copies; over a hundred now :) Keep a watch on it!

-- 15 Aug 2015, 11:34 --

And Zelda I plan on buying your novel, just a FYI. ;)
zeldas_lullaby

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

Ooh, that would make me so happy! Oh boy! If you read it, please jump into its Book of the Month discussion page!! :-)

Congrats on your kickstarter campaign. I'm going to have to exchange notes with you soon and find out how you did that so successfully! I've never had any luck with kickstarter! Of course, I never tell anyone that I'm having a campaign... that could be my first mistake! :o

I may drop you a PM when I have a moment! :D
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

ireakhavok wrote:The updates are live! Also, my kickstarter campaign just ended, so the corrections were made just in time. I've sold a few copies; over a hundred now :) Keep a watch on it!

-- 15 Aug 2015, 11:34 --

And Zelda I plan on buying your novel, just a FYI. ;)
Congrats on having success with your Kickstarter campaign. I am not a writer so I'm not sure what type of marketing this is, but it sounds like it is working for you. :)
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
ireakhavok

Post by ireakhavok »

Thank you! A kickstarter campaign is for getting new projects of any kind funded. It is where a bunch of different backers pledge for different rewards during a campaign period. Once the campaign is fully funded and the period is over, the backers are charged and the rewards are released. I had 21 backers pledge for over 40 copies of my novel. I just have to distribute them once the payment goes through! It is a way to help boost my sales rank, and get noticed by the art community. I've been featured in the newspaper and tv in my area, and needed to expand my fan base. This will allow me to have a stock of books on hand, and is good for a "resume" of sorts. I'll be running a booth, here in Minot, on the 22nd with copies on hand. Also, there are a couple schools interested in buying more than 150 books a semester to teach their creative writing classes and as a "bell ringer". So I just hope that I can get it even more polished before they make those decisions.
zeldas_lullaby

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

I'm a little envious of your success, but great job! What's a "bell ringer?" I don't think I'm familiar with that term.
ireakhavok

Post by ireakhavok »

She just wants to use it for her students to use while waiting for class to end.

-- 16 Aug 2015, 00:40 --

Don't be envious! It hasn't happened yet, but thank you. I'm supposed to speak at a creative writing class here in town as well. really neat! I can't wait. Can't count my "eggs" before they hatch though :P I was doing some looking, weren't you a creative writing teacher?
zeldas_lullaby

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

Oooohhhh. OK, that makes sense!

-- August 16th, 2015, 12:43 am --
ireakhavok wrote:
Don't be envious! It hasn't happened yet, but thank you. I'm supposed to speak at a creative writing class here in town as well. really neat! I can't wait. Can't count my "eggs" before they hatch though :P I was doing some looking, weren't you a creative writing teacher?
Oh, thank you, we must've posted at the same time! Don't worry, I'll fight the envy! :mrgreen:

I wasn't a creative writing teacher, but I did teach reading in a spelling/phonetics sense. I also taught reading comprehension for kids who didn't automatically visualize what they were reading! That was fun. We'd start with pictures and then sentences and ask the kids, "How do you picture that?" Or, "How can you picture that?" And get them up to grade level. :D

-- August 16th, 2015, 12:47 am --

Well, you've got a lot of exciting stuff going on! Speaking at a creative writing class?? That's awesome.

What's really weird about where I live is that creative writing isn't taught, like, anywhere. I have no idea why.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”