Official Review: The White Orchid and the Willow

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kappy
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Isaac Asimov
Favorite Book: The Essene Gospel of Peace
Currently Reading: McGee & Stuckey's Bountiful Container
Bookshelf Size: 762
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kappy.html
Latest Review: "The Big Exoneration" by Dennis Sanchez
fav_author_id: 2547

Official Review: The White Orchid and the Willow

Post by Kappy »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The White Orchid and the Willow" by Joel Anthony Collins.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The White Orchid and the Willow (The Shadow Chronicles, Vol. 1) (2014), by Joel Anthony Collins, is a 158-page fantasy/adventure novel available in paperback and e-book formats. The tale integrates trust, betrayal, family loyalty, romance, murder, secret societies, ambushes, kidnappings, and daring rescues. This appears to be the author's first published book.

"The Shadow Chronicles" refers to a set of supernatural books featured in the story, which is set on a low-tech fictional island during an unspecified year; this is not a historical novel. The book fits into the "sword and sorcery" genre, featuring swords, daggers, crossbows, bows and arrows, castles, and an evil king.

The tale is about the swashbuckling exploits of a man, Creyton, and an eagle he raised from a hatchling. They have a close, symbiotic relationship, and are proficient at knowing each other's thoughts and needs. The sub-plots are quite minor; virtually everything revolves around the protagonist, so the story line is easy to follow. Creyton's bold actions make him the most wanted man on the island by the end of the book.

There are no wizards, demons, or other supernatural characters. The mystical events have clear limits; the author doesn't create goofy magical events without rhyme or reason. Since the amount of fantasy is restrained, it enhances the narrative rather than dominating it, so the tale remains focused on the people. This is the story's greatest strength.

The author does an excellent job of keeping the narrative interesting by using a lot of action and dialogue; he also includes sufficient details describing Jade Island. However, the story would benefit from more suspense; e.g., placing the protagonist in life-threatening situations where escape appears to be impossible. The book's climax involves an escapade that is audacious but insufficiently exciting, and sets up the next book in the series, which hasn't been published yet. Inadequate suspense is the story's weakest characteristic.

The White Orchid and the Willow has earned 3 out of 4 stars. The author writes clearly and concisely, and has given us a good imaginative tale, but there are far too many punctuation errors, misspellings, and other grammatical errors; the author needs to clean up the manuscript. The novel is suitable for readers of all ages who enjoy sword and sorcery stories, but there are a few rather brutal killings that might be a little too grisly for some people. If grammatical errors annoy you, you should skip this book for now; however, you may want to consider reading a revised edition.

The White Orchid and the Willow
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Kappy's review? Post a comment saying so!
Good Thoughts, Good Words, Good Deeds
Jesska6029
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: The Harry Potter series
Currently Reading: It and Mr. Mercedes
Bookshelf Size: 279
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jesska6029.html
Latest Review: "Texaners: Eight Short Stories" by T. F. Rhoden
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Jesska6029 »

It's a shame there are so many errors in the book. Great review!
“Some failure in life is inevitable. It is impossible to live without failing at something, unless you live so cautiously that you might as well not have lived at all—in which case, you fail by default.” ~J.K. Rowling
Latest Review: "Texaners: Eight Short Stories" by T. F. Rhoden
Tanaya
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tanaya.html
Latest Review: Beans...Finding My Way Home by Debi Brown
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Tanaya »

Well, I haven't read the book but I appreciate your honesty and think you did a wonderful job! :)
Kappy

Post by Kappy »

Thanks for the kind words, Jesska and Tanaya. I think my review was rather positive; I don't see why the author is so upset. The scifibloggers "review" the author likes so much is a one-size-fits-all meaningless description that could be applied to many thousands of novels and short stories.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Nice, insightful review Kappy. I think your opinions were very balanced and were not a template in the slightest. You pointed out the good parts of the book while giving your honest opinion of the not-so-good aspects. Personally I find books that contain too many grammatical and spelling errors are distracting and unprofessional. I think people pay for books and they expect a story clear of numerous, glaring errors.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Levi
Favorite Author: S. Morgenstern ha ha
Favorite Book: Crik
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Bookshelf Size: 542
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-levi.html
Latest Review: "The Six and the Gardeners of Ialana" by Katlynn Brooke
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Levi »

I thought that Kappy's review was very well written and also that it gave a positive outlook, overall, on the book. As reviewers, we must mention excessive language or errors (minor or otherwise) and such as we are reviewing for a wide variety of readers. Maybe the closing comment bothered the author, but I did not take that as a slight on the book, but a comment directed at readers who will not tolerate errors. As a reviewer, that is our job basically. Otherwise, if not properly warned before going into a story with errors, a very critical reader may lose faith in our judgement and not trust our reviews. If, however, we warn people of language, errors and the like, but mention that we like the story (as Kappy did, it is a three out of four star review after all) then they will trust our opinion and keep reading the books we recommend. If no one trusts our reviews, what help can we be to an author?
"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." —Ernest Hemingway
Latest Review: "The Six and the Gardeners of Ialana" by Katlynn Brooke
bluemel4
Favorite Author: Anne Bishop
Currently Reading: The Dark Tower, Books 1-3
Bookshelf Size: 466
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluemel4.html
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 6086

Post by bluemel4 »

Great review. I really enjoyed reading it. I like a good hero's journey in a novel.
"Life is a journey, not a destination" --Ralph Waldo Emerson
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Kappy

Post by Kappy »

Thanks, bookowlie, Escapeartist, and bluemel4. I try to focus on the positive aspects of books as much as possible.
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Forever Twelve

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

I agree. Evphallon, do we know you? Why'd you stumble upon this book and find your way here and decide to trash it?
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

You're welcome, ireakhavoc!!

To Evphallon: You reported your own comments? :lol: That's the funniest thing I've ever heard. You must be a newbie, then--you can't delete a comment if someone's posted after it. Good grief. Well, yes, we try to refrain from being mean-spirited here, but if you want to say anything constructive, that's probably fine.
PashaRu
Currently Reading: Vicars of Christ - The Dark Side of the Papacy
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pasharu.html
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd

Post by PashaRu »

Too bad this thread went in the direction it did. Kappy, this is a good review. Nice, balanced analysis and critique.
[Insert quote here. Read. Raise an eyebrow. Be mildly amused. Rinse & repeat.]
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

I agree. I never understood the reason for the hoopla. Kappy, the review is great.
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Some of the remarks were deleted as they were rude and off topic. :text-threadjacked:
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Gali, I meant I thought Kappy's review was mainly complimentary, so I didn't see the reason for the hurt feelings. Anyway, the review is nice and balanced. Good job!
zeldas_lullaby

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

Wow... interesting turn of events. You never know what will happen on this site!!

I thought it was a great review too, Kappy. Here's hoping you can finally have a drama-free one soon!!

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”