Last fantasy book you have read?

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mariami
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariami.html
Latest Review: "The Imperium Collection" by Gareth Torrance

Re: Last fantasy book you have read?

Post by Mariami »

Although the last fantasy book I've read was Crown of Midnight by Sarah J. Maas :romance-smileyheart: , I totally loved Peter V. Brett's Demon Cycle Series. A magic fantasy world where demons rise every night, a prophecy and a long-awaited "Deliverer", strong characters and an amazing plot - these are just a few of thing that make this story a real page turner.
Latest Review: "The Imperium Collection" by Gareth Torrance
megipooxox
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-megipooxox.html

Post by megipooxox »

I just finished reading Six of Crows, Queen of the Tearling as well as Snow like Ashes. all three are formidable!
missy_ansell
Currently Reading: Ferran's Map
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-missy-ansell.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by missy_ansell »

I'm reading the Cat's Eye Chronicles by T.L. Shreffler. I like it so far. There's four books and one short story. The first book is called Sora's Quest.
Teacher29

Post by Teacher29 »

Like most I am still anxiously awaiting the return of GRRM's A Song of Ice and Fire series. As a result of seeing the Divergent movie, I decided to give the novel a try. What a disappointment! While the premise is interesting, unfortunately the quality of writing is lacking and although I tried very hard to read the second book of the series (the story line at least was interesting) the writing did not improve. Fantasy is not a typical reading category for me (analytical crime and psychological thrillers are more to my taste) so it is entirely probable that GRRM ruined the category for me with his superb series. I confess that I have even re-read several of the books as I discovered some of his literary tricks of foreshadowing, key words, and even use of color (think of the blue versus red uniforms in Star Trek!) that further enhance the pure joy of reading his series. I am hoping that after reading some of your recommendations that I will be able to fill my shelves (or my ipad) with some good reads i the months ahead.
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

I read The Last Unicorn a few weeks ago. I really enjoyed it, and I am delighted that the film stayed very true to the book. It's one of those few books that I didn't read before I saw the movie.
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
pageflipper96
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pageflipper96.html

Post by pageflipper96 »

A really good book would be The beautiful sorrows of Ava Lavender or The daughter of smoke and bone. Another great classic that I feel is underrated is The blue castle by L.M. Montgomery
Taylor Razzani
Favorite Author: Carlos Ruiz Zafón
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 59294">The Shadow of the Wind (The Cemetery of Forgotten Books)</a>
Currently Reading: The Bachman Books
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taylor-razzani.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington
fav_author_id: 2684

Post by Taylor Razzani »

LivreAmour217 wrote:I read The Last Unicorn a few weeks ago. I really enjoyed it, and I am delighted that the film stayed very true to the book. It's one of those few books that I didn't read before I saw the movie.
Thanks for reminding me that this book exists! I used to watch the movie all the time when I was younger and forgot that it was based off of a book. Good to know the movie did it justice too :D
Ashandarei
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashandarei.html

Post by Ashandarei »

The name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss. Great story with an unconventional love story that has not been resolved.
yowg8ynwa
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yowg8ynwa.html

Post by yowg8ynwa »

Good Omens by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman! Great story that the two wrote while Gaiman was in the US, and they had to update each other's stories over the fax machine and phone, before the email came along. Highly recommended, they have both stated that their original aim was to make each other laugh as much as possible.
aparsons
Bookshelf Size: 498
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aparsons.html
Latest Review: "A Mirror Among Shattered Glass (Book One of the Supernatural London Underground series)" by Romarin Demetri

Post by aparsons »

Braxalus wrote:I took the liberty of looking at your bookshelf and saw you've read A Game of Thrones... I highly recommend continuing the series. A Clash of Kings suffers from middle book syndrome but A Storm of Swords is quite possibly some of the very best fantasy fiction in print. It is, in a word, incredible... Like Arya Stark.
What in the world is middle book syndrome?

The fantasy series i most recently read is called His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman. You might recognize the first book, The Golden Compass. :D
“Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Latest Review: "A Mirror Among Shattered Glass (Book One of the Supernatural London Underground series)" by Romarin Demetri
maruyama
Currently Reading: Dragon Flight
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by maruyama »

Old school: just polished off the first of Anne McCaffrey's Pern classics, Dragonflight. At least it feels like the first. Picked up a bargain bin used one: paperback printed in 1980!
mstnglady
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstnglady.html

Post by mstnglady »

House of Night series by P.C. Cast and Kristin Cast. A mother daughter team writing a series about vampyres and a different take on how they are created. I really enjoy them!
lmoses
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lmoses.html
Latest Review: "Incandescent" by Shannon Avangeline

Post by lmoses »

The last fantasy book I read was Crossing in Time by D.L. Orton. It has time travel, alternate universes, and romance. I really loved this fantasy book, and the second book comes out in July 2016.
Latest Review: "Incandescent" by Shannon Avangeline
MandySims
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mandysims.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by MandySims »

I just finished George R.R. Martin's children's book, The Ice Dragon. I think it's under 150 pages. It's an illustrative book and the illustrations are pretty nice. It was just a quick read for the weekend, also I love George and his stories. It's a cute story. You should check it out some time :)
littleshadow

Post by littleshadow »

The last fantasy book that I read was "Magic Kingdom for Sale:Sold" by Terry Brooks. I enjoy all of his books though and love to read them more than once. The stories draw me in, even though I know what's going to happen. :D

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”