Last fantasy book you have read?

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
linseaskinner
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linseaskinner.html

Re: Last fantasy book you have read?

Post by linseaskinner »

I would recommend the Fallen series. The books are fantastic, and are page turners. I believe they are a worthwhile read.
TravelingMagpie
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-travelingmagpie.html

Post by TravelingMagpie »

I've already seen it mentioned, but another shout out to Sarah Maas' Throne of Glass series: they're seriously great. Kinda gritty for YA -- I mean, epic and big on the scale of more "grown up" fantasy books. It's not as easy to get through as some of the fantasy-lite that's really popular right now, but they are really good. Totally recommend.
Gypsygem1984
Favorite Author: Brandon Sanderson
Currently Reading: The Left Handed Hurl
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gypsygem1984.html
fav_author_id: 4040

Post by Gypsygem1984 »

Love Robin Hobb's The Fitz and the Fool. She has three series that follow 'the Fitz'. Great books!
Taylor Razzani
Favorite Author: Carlos Ruiz Zafón
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 59294">The Shadow of the Wind (The Cemetery of Forgotten Books)</a>
Currently Reading: The Bachman Books
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taylor-razzani.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington
fav_author_id: 2684

Post by Taylor Razzani »

I see Terry Brooks was mentioned earlier, you can't go wrong with him. He's got a few different series, take your pick, whichever one you choose you will not be disappointed.

I'm also a fan of Eldon Thompson's The Legend of Asahiel series. Oddly enough I think he found me on Myspace back in the day and convinced me to get the series, luckily it turned out okay! :lol:
Shrinkingviolet3

Post by Shrinkingviolet3 »

Hey I Just read Rua by Miranda Kavi i love the twist of this story it was a little different storyline of what fantasy novel I usually read. This series was fun, little romantic, and mysterious. Loved it book two is great too.
PeterTRoth
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by PeterTRoth »

with peter jackson's release of the theatrical versions of the hobbit, i reread the book. i find that i prefer the book over the movies personally.
ThatIsTheQuestion-2B

Post by ThatIsTheQuestion-2B »

If you are looking for something different, look no further the The Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo. Great book, great set of characters (I fell in love with every single one), and great story! It was definitely not your average fantasy novel.
psyche
Currently Reading: Void Contract
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-psyche.html
Latest Review: "NovoPulp Anthology - Volume 2" by Niamh Brown, B. Morris Allen, M. J. Kobernus, David Grigg, Kimberly Unger, Daniela Huguet, Russ Bick

Post by psyche »

Right now I am reading Beneath the Sun by Tank Jaeger. I got it in paperback and it is a real doorstopper at over 800 pages
Latest Review: "NovoPulp Anthology - Volume 2" by Niamh Brown, B. Morris Allen, M. J. Kobernus, David Grigg, Kimberly Unger, Daniela Huguet, Russ Bick
HeroicCaveman

Post by HeroicCaveman »

Brandon Sanderson - The Final Empire. However, If you are looking for a new author I cannot recommend the Demon Cycle - Peter V Brett or the Kingkiller Chronicles by Patrick Rothfuss nearly enough. Completely fell in love with them.

If you fancy something lighthearted and easy to read, the Jim Butcher - Harry Dresden series are enjoyable and seem to fly past in my hands.
Jan888
Currently Reading: Remains of Innocence
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jan888.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Jan888 »

I second the recommendation by HeroicCaveman about the Jim Butcher Harry Dresden books. As well, I am a big fan of Sherrilyn Kenyon's Dark Ones series. Both of these series are highly readable; in fact, they are the type of books that I stay up way too late in order to finish!
Sarah G
Favorite Author: Brandon Sanderson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-g.html
Latest Review: Smith by Sam B Miller II
fav_author_id: 4040

Post by Sarah G »

Last fantasy book I read was eye of the world by Robert Jordan. Now to get stuck in with his wheel of time series :)
The purpose of a storyteller is not to tell you how to think, but to give you questions to think upon
Ejgard91
Currently Reading: The Two Towers (The Lord of the Rings)
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ejgard91.html
Latest Review: "Secrets of the Throne" by CC Rogers

Post by Ejgard91 »

The last book I read was Entwine by Heather Dixon. It is based off the 12 dancing princesses fairy tale. It has lovable characters (even the younger sisters were making me laugh) and a very interesting plot that I wasn't expecting. I've also been enjoying K.M. Shea's timeless fairytale collection. I believe there are six out currently, and they are really quite fantastic even though you can probably guess how they end :)

Hope you find something!!
Latest Review: "Secrets of the Throne" by CC Rogers
cogarae
Currently Reading: Mary
Bookshelf Size: 297
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cogarae.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by cogarae »

Harmony black by Craig schaefer
sarahw
Currently Reading: Whole
Bookshelf Size: 461
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahw.html
Latest Review: "Tales From The Universe" by Daniel M Bensen, Ricardo Victoria, Brent A Harris, Pedro Camelo, Jess Holmes, Brian S Converse, RH N

Post by sarahw »

I have recently fallen in love with the Gentleman Bastards series by Scott Lynch. There are currently three books (of the anticipated 7) published in the series. The first one "The Lies of Locke Lamora" was my favorite. I couldn't put it down! The other two "Red Seas Under Red Skies" and "The Republic of Thieves" were also very good. I can't wait until Mr. Lynch finishes the fourth book.

Another one worth mentioning that happens to be one of my favorites series of all time is the Belgariad by David Eddings. If you enjoy fantasy and sorcery, you should enjoy these books. They are the reason I fell in love with the fantasy genre.
Latest Review: "Tales From The Universe" by Daniel M Bensen, Ricardo Victoria, Brent A Harris, Pedro Camelo, Jess Holmes, Brian S Converse, RH N
cogarae
Currently Reading: Mary
Bookshelf Size: 297
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cogarae.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by cogarae »

The Dark Cycle series by Rachel marks

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”