The Thirteen Hallows by Michael Scott and Collette Freedman

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MargaretEv
Currently Reading: The Jungle
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-margaretev.html

The Thirteen Hallows by Michael Scott and Collette Freedman

Post by MargaretEv »

What would you do if you found out that there was a door between Earth and the Other World that had locked away and protected Humans from the depravity of demons, and the door was about to be opened?

This is the dilemma that our unwitting hero finds herself in.

Earth is protected, and has been for thousands of years, by ancient magic cast by a person that we know in todays religous circles, but known by other names in another time. The powerful magic created 13 keys to be kept apart and protected by 13 keepers. The keys are handed down, through the generations, from Father to Son, Mother to Daughter, so the lines are never broken and the secret kept safe. Until one of the keepers decides to keep the power for themselves and sets about collecting all the keys to allow the Other World and our world to collide in an explosion of blood lust, and sacrifice.

Michael Scott (of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel fame) together with Collette Freedman, combine to create an entirely believable story from an unbelievable premise. The story is fast paced, but set mainly over a period of 70 years as the keepers age, though the time line expands at times to encompass the time of the original magic thousands of years ago. It is a book about magic, greed, lust, faith, and ultimately hope. It centres around our unwitting hero and the rift she has caused in the magic and how, from her first steps into the secret world she finds herself in, to the final sacrifice and conclusion, she manages to hold onto her humanity in the face of temptation and loss and comes out the other side as a changed, but definitely, better person.

I recommend this to lovers of magic and make believe. It is a fantasy story but one that does have lines that can translate itself to a modern time. It does contain quite graphic violent torture scenes so not for those who shy from the gore that comes with that. I loved this book and read its 429 pages in a single day as I just couldn't put it down! I rate it 3 out of 4 stars.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”