Official Review: Mark of the Remaker by Ian Yamagata

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
CataclysmicKnight
Favorite Book: Ready Player One
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1693
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cataclysmicknight.html
Latest Review: Simple Man Simple Message by Mark Dobosz

Official Review: Mark of the Remaker by Ian Yamagata

Post by CataclysmicKnight »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Mark of the Remaker" by Ian Yamagata.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

When it comes to fantasy novels and movies where teenagers are involved, it always seems like violence is handled with kid gloves and no one ever gets hurt or dies, even the random soldier bad guys. It's one of my least favorite tropes as it pulls me out of the world someone has created, and luckily Mark of the Remaker by Ian Yamagata doesn't fall prey to it. Despite the fact that the main character is only 19, there's serious danger here and blood is shed in each battle. Don't get me wrong, this isn't gory or gruesome at all or I wouldn't even be able to read it, it's more like "he sliced one soldier with his sword, then parried an attack and ran his sword through a second soldier."

Mark of the Remaker is something of an origin story for Hugo Ari, a 19 year old becoming a member of the Bringer Corps, the soldiers of a small town called Bringer. On a challenge to kill the biggest bear they can find, his group goes off and finds one, barely defeating it before another group is nearly killed by a gigantic beast of a bear. This is when Hugo begins to discover his powers, and from here on out an epic tale begins as the evil Techan empire discover him and a war ensues. Writing this now and thinking back, it's amazing how far he comes in this novel. The Techan empire's main characters - four generals and a couple others - are pretty solid characters themselves, and the story does a good job of painting several points of view.

As I said, this is somewhat of an origin story, and therefore it's only the first in a series. I'm rarely a fan of the fantasy series cliché, but this is the third book I've read in a row that does it right and has me looking forward to the next in the series! It's over 300 pages, and the action is certainly not dragged out to try to make what could be one book into an endless cycle of releases. Speaking of action, Ian Yamagata does a wonderful job here of creating action scenes that have you wondering what's coming next and curious how things will end positively without dragging on forever. I won't give any spoilers, but Hugo's Remaker abilities are quite fun to watch play out, and so are the steampunk-ish touches. We have steam cannons, airships, blade cores that create weapons similar to light sabers and even golems to see at play here!

As far as negatives to the book, there are a few character inconsistencies that I became confused by. Half way through, I was actually going to point out that the few women in this story were all rather soft and ineffective, but by the end that seemed to change. One of the Techan generals especially, General Analah Crescent, comes off as a tough character at first, but then is suddenly portrayed as a lovesick puppy to another character for a while. The book even has the male character think to himself that her forwardness is unattractive. It's not until much later that we see why she acts that way, but it still comes off a bit over the top.

Minor quibbles aside, Ian Yamagata's Mark of the Remaker is easily worth 4 out of 4 stars. Anyone who enjoys fantasy, especially with a touch of steampunk, will enjoy this book. If you prefer your stories dark, or if you aren't a fan of fantasy, however, this one probably won't sway you.

Mark of the Remaker
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like CataclysmicKnight's review? Post a comment saying so!
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

I always enjoy your reviews. You have a unique, entertaining way of getting to the heart of the matter. You should be a writer! Good point about the character inconsistencies.

I never tire of seeing your funny avatar!
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
april-ballard
Favorite Author: Dean Koontz
Currently Reading: The Message?
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-april-ballard.html
Latest Review: "From The Killer's Eyes" by Morgan C. Amos
Publishing Contest Votes: 5
fav_author_id: 2595

Post by april-ballard »

I'm definitely a fan of fantasy and will read Mark Of The Remaker based on your review! Do you write? I agree with Bookowlie that you should :)
Latest Review: "From The Killer's Eyes" by Morgan C. Amos
Deee
Favorite Author: J.R.R. Tolkien
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 18984">The Two Towers</a>
Currently Reading: Second Foundation
Bookshelf Size: 1417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deee.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Deee »

Great review. Sounds like something I definitely would read.
"But to find out the truth about how dreams die, one should never take the word of the dreamer."

Toni Morrison, The Bluest Eye.
Jesska6029
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: The Harry Potter series
Currently Reading: It and Mr. Mercedes
Bookshelf Size: 279
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jesska6029.html
Latest Review: "Texaners: Eight Short Stories" by T. F. Rhoden
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Jesska6029 »

Really great review! I really dislike when authors shy away from violence because the protagonist is deemed "too young" to handle any danger. This one seems like a really interesting read!
“Some failure in life is inevitable. It is impossible to live without failing at something, unless you live so cautiously that you might as well not have lived at all—in which case, you fail by default.” ~J.K. Rowling
Latest Review: "Texaners: Eight Short Stories" by T. F. Rhoden
Rachaelamb1
Favorite Author: CS Lewis
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... onwitch</a>
Currently Reading: Falling Star
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachaelamb1.html
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco

Post by Rachaelamb1 »

I like steampunk and fantasy....sounds like a great book!
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco
ashley_claire
Favorite Book: The Prince of Tides
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-claire.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by ashley_claire »

Sounds like an interesting book. Not quite sure it's for me but great review!
Ericaflowers6238
Currently Reading: The Mansion's Twins
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ericaflowers6238.html

Post by Ericaflowers6238 »

This book definitely sounds unique. From what I have read, not many books take on the steampunk theme and are able to convey it successfully. The fantasy aspect is often written but this book sounds like it takes a creative and fresh approach to this genre.
aimel369
Currently Reading: Paper Towns
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aimel369.html
Reading Device: B00I8XELOM

Post by aimel369 »

Sounds really interesting but I think it's not for me as I don't usually read fantasy. But will definitely try to read.
kio
Favorite Author: Janet Evanovich
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... vermore</a>
Bookshelf Size: 532
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kio.html
Latest Review: "A Twist of Fate" by Mark W. Johnson
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 2658

Post by kio »

sounds like an interesting book. Thanks for the great, honest review. You touched on the points I hope for when I'm reading a review for a book.
"Books are unique portable magic."-Stephen King
Latest Review: "A Twist of Fate" by Mark W. Johnson
peprica21
Currently Reading: Station Eleven
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peprica21.html
Latest Review: "The Bone Whisperer" by D.S. Allen

Post by peprica21 »

Definitely a book I would not have picked off the shelf randomly (I would have judged it by its cover haha) but after reading your review my interest has been peaked to read Mark of the Remaker. Thanks for the review.
Latest Review: "The Bone Whisperer" by D.S. Allen
Levi
Favorite Author: S. Morgenstern ha ha
Favorite Book: Crik
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Bookshelf Size: 542
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-levi.html
Latest Review: "The Six and the Gardeners of Ialana" by Katlynn Brooke
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Levi »

Fantastic review, Mr. Knight!! I just dated this book and am already enjoying it!! I agree with your assessment that the book is not gory, but has battle scenes that are action-packed and not drawn out. At least the ones that I have experienced so far. Good job!
"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." —Ernest Hemingway
Latest Review: "The Six and the Gardeners of Ialana" by Katlynn Brooke
ryanbookreviews
Currently Reading: The Eye of the World
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ryanbookreviews.html

Post by ryanbookreviews »

Great review and I totally agree with everything you said!
Sarah G
Favorite Author: Brandon Sanderson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-g.html
Latest Review: Smith by Sam B Miller II
fav_author_id: 4040

Post by Sarah G »

Great review! I do love a good a fantasy book and may have to give this a try :)
The purpose of a storyteller is not to tell you how to think, but to give you questions to think upon
Ramona
Favorite Author: Too many...
Currently Reading: Burn Zones
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ramona.html
Latest Review: "My Life In The Dirt: Adventures Of A Suburban Organic Farmer" by J. Don Bell
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by Ramona »

Interesting review! I agree that inconsistencies in a book are definitely confusing. I wonder if the author meant to show a change (a growth or deterioration of some sort) in the characters' personalities and it just didn't wasn't deveoped right to show that. Just wondering...!
Numbers 6:24-26 The LORD bless you and keep you; the LORD make his face to shine upon you and be gracious to you; the LORD lift up his countenance upon you and give you peace.
Latest Review: "My Life In The Dirt: Adventures Of A Suburban Organic Farmer" by J. Don Bell

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”