Official Review: The Kingdoms Of Hairpetah by Chiedu Obusez

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
RussetDivinity
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-russetdivinity.html
Latest Review: "Heart of Flint" by Scott Stricklen

Official Review: The Kingdoms Of Hairpetah by Chiedu Obusez

Post by RussetDivinity »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Kingdoms Of Hairpetah" by Chiedu Obusez.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

When I first read the description for Chiedu Obusez’s The Kingdoms of Hairpetah, I was intensely excited. I grew up reading high fantasy, and this book looked like it had everything my younger self would have loved. A witch queen had cast a curse on a kingdom that would cause madness and death, and a group of brave men had to travel across the land to retrieve an enchanted object that would put a stop to her reign of terror. Partly out of nostalgia for the books I devoured as a child and partly because I still love those kinds of novels, I took my chance to review this book as soon as I could, expecting to be swept up into a fantastical land. Unfortunately, while the concept excited me, the execution was lacking, and so I can only give this book 1 out of 4 stars.

While my reading tastes may have changed slightly since I was younger, I don’t think that’s the reason I found myself disliking this book. The idea is something I would still love to read now, and I would have loved to settle down with a story of adventure and betrayal. The main story of a group of men traveling to save a kingdom wasn’t the only plot of the book; the action would at times cut back to the city where everything started out. The king of that city had been poisoned by some dark magic (which the artifact the men are searching for would remove), and a quiet struggle springs up between his young son and another man for who will get the throne. The world itself is fascinating, showing different fictional cultures from a group of people who live in a forest and remind me of Robin Hood to a city where the main entertainment comes from bloody gladiator battles.

I was rather disappointed to find that the rest of the book didn’t hold up to what the story and world would seem to promise. While the characters were each given some distinguishing characteristic, they were introduced so quickly that I had trouble telling them apart until about halfway through the book, and even by the end, there were a few that I got confused. I never really got to a point where I could care about them, and when they were put in mortal danger, I knew their lives were at stake but simply couldn’t feel anything about the matter. I think that was the main problem I had while reading the book, aside from the constant confusion over which character was which: The author told us what emotions the characters felt (and, by extension, what we as readers ought to feel) rather than showing us.

The other problem I had is one that might be inherent to traditional high fantasy but felt exacerbated in this book. With a few exceptions, all the women of this world were presented as either weak or evil (and generally both, as most of the women shown were witches). Those who weren’t got very little time on the page and were, for the most part, devoid of any interesting characteristics. As a woman, I’ve gotten used to the fact that there are many books which have few to no female characters, but it still bothers me when those that exist are presented in either negative or boring lights.

In short, I didn’t care for this book at all. There were a few interesting moments here and there, but it felt as though the author was more interested in pushing the plot forward and writing fanciful language for the characters than in actually giving the readers any reason to care about the plot or characters.

The Kingdoms Of Hairpetah
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like RussetDivinity's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "Heart of Flint" by Scott Stricklen
Rachaelamb1
Favorite Author: CS Lewis
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... onwitch</a>
Currently Reading: Falling Star
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachaelamb1.html
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco

Post by Rachaelamb1 »

The storyline sounds interesting. It's a shame it wasn't executed better.
TheMusicalMuse
Favorite Author: Victor Hugo
Currently Reading: The Druid's Curse
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-themusicalmuse.html
Latest Review: "Trespassers" by Todd and Tim Wynn
fav_author_id: 3006

Post by TheMusicalMuse »

I appreciate your comment about female characters being depicted as weak or evil. I hadn't noticed it until you said something, but the fantasy books I like the best are those with strong female characters, even in male-centric stories. I think that's why I enjoyed the Wheel of Time series so much; the Aes Sedai are only women and highly regarded. Anyway, with "strong female character" practically being the key to success in current popular fiction, I'm surprised this author would forego that particular facet of good writing.

I'm sorry you didn't enjoy the book, but thanks for finishing it anyway and giving us a well-written review.
“Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.”
― Charles William Eliot
Latest Review: "Trespassers" by Todd and Tim Wynn
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Forever Twelve

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

Great review. I haven't noticed the problem of women, but I haven't read fantasy since Xanth in high school (early nineties). Is that a problem of the fantasy genre in particular? I guess the thinking is that women can't maneuver nunchucks as well as a man?
Chieduobusez
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Chieduobusez »

Hello everyone, firstly let me start by saying that I am not perturbed by unflattering reviews. In life everyone/thing gets judged brilliantly or poorly--this is no exception. I am a first time author and brutal honesty is what builds areas of deficiency. No one knows their deficiencies until they are harshly scrutinized. (I am currently watching The Tudors on netflix and I can't but laugh at King Henry's foolishness.) So I welcome it with open arms. ... My defense: Initially, my story was twice the length of what it is currently, but my editors advised me to reduce its bulk. Thus a lot of information and characters had to be removed to quicken the pace of the plot. My story is an action pack one with a milieu driven tip, all in a medieval fantasy world. Balancing a plot on these elements isn't easy. Especially when one needs to speed up the plot. The story is designed around sword-wielding warriors on a quest. It was also shaped, in a sub-plot, around a powerful man whose ambition was to become king (based on faulty logic). There really isn't much space for a strong female character to make an impression as the reviewer would have liked, however there is a female warrior in the story. My editors, especially two who professed to me are feminists, said I could have problems in this area. But they eventually yielded when they understood my predicament of bulk, pace and structure of the tale. It is true that majority of the female characters in this story play submissive or evil roles, but that can be explained. For the evil part: In my creation, it is a world of Witches, Wizards and warriors, and Witches are seen as evil and Wizards, not all, are seen as good. In the past (medieval world), heretics were seen as evil, but now, in today's world, that isn't the case. A period defines righteousness but it never holds forever. A perfect example is found in the story--a thief is made to be more noble than an esteemed and celebrated general. ON the issue of characters: there are some characters that were designed to be loved and others designed to die. I believe that the characters that were designed to be loved had ample time for readers to get to know them. As for the ones designed to be killed, there wan't much time for them. I yield. Also they weren't created for affection and they weren't an integral part of the story. (it is all in there and it is clear.) The main characters were a General, a Thief, a Wizard, a Blacksmith and a Gladiator. The other characters either in the sub-plot or attached to the main plot were soldiers, others were wizards, witches, a prince, a traitor...etc. Based on the entire review, I got the impression that the reviewer is a feminist hoping to impose her authority (as a reviewer) and condemn a story solely based on the fact that the tale lacked strong or good female characters. I have spent over a hundred hours reading reviews on books and most despise new books based on how poorly they were written and how much of a disgrace a terribly written story could be a book. This review however, does little to condemn the structure and story but rather, spends much of its criticism lambasting the idea of weak female characters. One paragraph is dedicated to narration, the other to certain things that were not of merit and the third was a lack of good and strong Female Characters. It is my duty as a writer to learn from these mistakes and make changes. Honestly, I respect the reviewer, RussetDivinity, and appreciate every word of her criticism for I see it ONLY as constructive. I have no intention to offend feminists, I can't possibly do that considering that I am a minority myself, however, I have every intention of writing more quality stories to entertain an audience looking to read fun stories. Anyone expecting a first time author to deliver the type of material of the great George RR Martin or other, is expecting too much. Lastly, the criticism of showing rather than telling is a flaw many, (not all) first time authors face. I want to thank the reviewer for her blunt and honest review. I do appreciate people who speak only the truth and aren't afraid of hurting feelings. This world is a wilderness where only the strong survive. God bless!
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Very interesting, insightful review. I enjoyed reading your review and the author's response.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Rachaelamb1
Favorite Author: CS Lewis
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... onwitch</a>
Currently Reading: Falling Star
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachaelamb1.html

Post by Rachaelamb1 »

I personally don't mind if a book has strong female characters or not. However, I do expect a book to be well-written. It is good to know this book has been edited. There are some authors who publish books without an outsiders opinion and their books are sloppily written. I am curious because another review gave this book a high rating while this review has a low rating. Perhaps it is more of a matter of tastes than a reflection of the author's writing skill?
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Forever Twelve

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

Hm... Mr. Obu, it sounds like the scope of your book may have been too ambitious from the get-go. With your editors wanting to trim it, and RussetDivinity feeling overwhelmed by all the characters who came and went, it might be that you were aiming too high content-wise. Why not try writing a book with fewer main characters, and brief yet effective descriptions thrown in as warranted? I think you can do it.

I hope you appreciate this feedback, since I'm absolutely 100% trying to be helpful. Keep us posted, and maybe hang out on the forums!

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”