Official Review: Van Laven Chronicles: Throne of Novoxos

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Lisalovecraft
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisalovecraft.html
Latest Review: "A Devil of a Time" by Gretchen Jeannette

Official Review: Van Laven Chronicles: Throne of Novoxos

Post by Lisalovecraft »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Van Laven Chronicles: Throne of Novoxos" by Tyler Chase.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Van Laven Chronicles: Throne of Novoxos by Tyler Chase is an action-packed sci-fi romance novel. This is a love story with a sci-fi backdrop (think sci-fi Romeo and Juliet). It is the first of a trilogy and deals with relationships, politics, and moral issues like exploitation of resources and oppression. This is soft sci-fi; it is more of a “space opera” like Star Wars.

The main characters, Vaush Bastionli and Comron Van Laven, come from warring families. They end up stranded on a jungle planet together and fall in love while fighting for their lives. After their rescue, they find a way to stay together despite the odds being against them. Both characters have to deal with startling revelations about their pasts and their futures during the course of the tale.

I breezed through this book. The story was filled with constant action and I could not stop turning the pages to see what would happen next. I enjoyed the epic laser gun battles, fast-paced spaceship chases, strange planets, and cutthroat interplanetary politics. I love finding books like this. I can leave my day behind and become fully immersed in another time and place. The book was a great success in this way. If I had the time, I would have read this in one sitting!

The writing was flawless. I was swept up in the action and on the edge of my seat during battle scenes. The romance scenes were hot and steamy. This was more of a traditional guy/girl romance, for those readers who are wondering. Comron was the strong guy and Vaush began to depend on him. However, for those who enjoy strong female leads, she did save his life more than once. The pacing was perfect. I felt like I was watching an action movie!

There were some downsides. Vaush and Comron’s epic love for each other was sweet at first. However, it got a little old. Vaush’s character became a broken record and I felt that there wasn’t much to her personality. She started off as a strong character with an interesting backstory. As the story progressed, all of her choices were based solely on keeping Comron in her life. This hindered her character development. Comron had a little more going on with his dad and his other obligations.

The book wraps up well, with most of the major plot points resolved. The long-term plot issues are left for the next book. I was not 100% satisfied with the ending, and thought the last few pages focused too much on Comron. Being that the title of the series is the Van Laven Chronicles, I suppose that makes sense. However, Vaush seemed to be the lead character throughout most of the book. These issues won’t stop me from picking up the next book, which I cannot wait to read.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I would give this book 3.5 out of 4 stars if I could, because I really enjoyed it. Fans of romance and soft sci-fi will love this book. Hard science fiction lovers and people who don’t like romance will not find much here. This would be a great summer reading list book. It’s fun, but still feels a little more intelligent than your average beach read.

Van Laven Chronicles: Throne of Novoxos
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | Hassle-Free Sample

Like Lisalovecraft's review? Post a comment saying so!
Michelle-lit
Currently Reading: Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelle-lit.html
Latest Review: "Take Her" by Midnight Taylor

Post by Michelle-lit »

Great review. I know from my own preferences that romance and sci-fi are not for me (I was hoping this might be a new fantasy series), but I just wanted to say that your review was very comprehensive, thorough, and well written.
Latest Review: "Take Her" by Midnight Taylor
Lisalovecraft

Post by Lisalovecraft »

Thank you for the feedback! There was a conversation someone else on here about the problems with lumping together sci if and fantasy. They are both very different genres , but they are almost always lumped together! That can make it hard for fans of either genre.
Rachaelamb1
Favorite Author: CS Lewis
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... onwitch</a>
Currently Reading: Falling Star
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachaelamb1.html
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco

Post by Rachaelamb1 »

Thanks for the review. I don't enjoy romance so it's good to know this isn't a book for me :)
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco
Lisalovecraft

Post by Lisalovecraft »

While there other aspects to enjoy in this book, the romance is a big part of it. I don't read much romance, but I do enjoy it once in awhile. Thanks for the comment!
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

I really enjoying reading your review. I like how you pointed out the little things you liked and didn't like, such as Vaush's character becoming a broken record. Your opinion of the book as a "little more intelligent than a beach read" is a great comment! I feel that way about several books I've read.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Lisalovecraft

Post by Lisalovecraft »

Ha! Thanks bookowlie! It can be difficult to find ways to describe books, so I've been trying to get creative. It's good to know that someone can relate to what I'm saying ;)
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

bookowlie wrote:I really enjoying reading your review. I like how you pointed out the little things you liked and didn't like, such as Vaush's character becoming a broken record. Your opinion of the book as a "little more intelligent than a beach read" is a great comment! I feel that way about several books I've read.
Sorry about the typo (should be "really enjoyed"). I know what you mean about it being difficult to describe the books. I have the same problem! I want to keep the review interesting and not have it appear like a child's book report. :lol:
Lisalovecraft

Post by Lisalovecraft »

I didn't even notice, no worries!

I guess sounding like a child's book report might be okay when reviewing a children's book, right? ;)
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Ha ha ha, that's what we should do if we review a children's book......"I liked this book because I like books about dogs. John was my favorite character. My favorite part was when the pail fell on John's head. My second favorite part was when the dog played with John. The End." **
** Hope no one takes this seriously. :)
Lisalovecraft

Post by Lisalovecraft »

Haha !! You get an A+ and a star sticker, Bookowlie!
Jesska6029
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: The Harry Potter series
Currently Reading: It and Mr. Mercedes
Bookshelf Size: 279
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jesska6029.html
Latest Review: "Texaners: Eight Short Stories" by T. F. Rhoden
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Jesska6029 »

With summer right around the corner, I will put this on my list! Loved the review! Stellar work!
“Some failure in life is inevitable. It is impossible to live without failing at something, unless you live so cautiously that you might as well not have lived at all—in which case, you fail by default.” ~J.K. Rowling
Latest Review: "Texaners: Eight Short Stories" by T. F. Rhoden
Lisalovecraft

Post by Lisalovecraft »

Thanks! This book was a pleasure to read. Glad you enjoyed the review.
ananya92
Favorite Author: Jeffrey Archer
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ananya92.html
Latest Review: A Passover in Peshawar by AM Sardar
fav_author_id: 4949

Post by ananya92 »

Wow! The book sounds all action packed and thrilling. Nice, detailed review.
Lisalovecraft

Post by Lisalovecraft »

Thanks @ananya92 it certainly is...I'm a huge fan of Star Wars type type sci-fi, so this was right up my alley, and it did not disappoint!

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”