This should be controversial

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Percy Phelps
Bookshelf Size: 0

This should be controversial

Post by Percy Phelps »

I think Science Fiction and Fantasy should be recognise as two completely separate genres, and I will go further and say they are completely incompatible. There I have said it.

Science Fiction is about the possible (albeit maybe improbable), it is an extrapolation of the natural, whereas fantasy is about the impossible, or the supernatural.

If anything, fantasy should be paired with horror or theology.

As a child I can't recollect going to the sci-fi section of a library or book store and being bombarded by tales of dragons and dungeons - what happened?

The worst part about the pairing is that true sci-fi, often referred to as hard sci-fi, seems to have become almost totally submersed by fantasy (this forum being a pretty fair example).

I remember about 30 years ago having a strong argument with a book retailer that I thought she should separate the two, I think I can recall that her argument was that true sci-fi is too small a genre to stand on it's own. That situation seems to have worsened and I for one am the sadder for it.
Lisalovecraft
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisalovecraft.html
Latest Review: "A Devil of a Time" by Gretchen Jeannette

Post by Lisalovecraft »

I agree! I always get annoyed at bookstores when horror doesn't have its own section. I guess I've just come to accept that certain genres are lumped together. However, I think that genres can be limiting. Some of the best books defy genre.
Latest Review: "A Devil of a Time" by Gretchen Jeannette
Percy Phelps
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Percy Phelps »

Lisalovecraft wrote:Some of the best books defy genre.
That is very true, alas it makes them all the harder to find, like gems.
Loki
Currently Reading: Les Miserables
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-loki.html

Post by Loki »

Ahhhh, that's so true! I went into a bookstore a bit of time ago to purchase one of the A Tale of Fire and Ice novels, and for some odd reason, it was in the sci-fi section...? Totally agree with the fact that some of the best books I've ever read defy genre, because genre can be very limiting.
Jamie fred84
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jamie-fred84.html
Latest Review: "Shiver Cove, Part 1: Tamyra" by TJ Shortt

Post by Jamie fred84 »

I kind of agree.... They are two different themes completely. At least it says science fiction AND fantasy. So it does recognize them as separate in a way, even though they group them together.
"Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body." Joseph Addison
Latest Review: "Shiver Cove, Part 1: Tamyra" by TJ Shortt
Sav Sparkman
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 91%

Post by Sav Sparkman »

I definitely agree that Sci-Fi and Fantasy are different genres. However I do think there can be some overlap, depending on the story line and the world that was created by the author. I think if anything, stores lump genres together in order to encourage those who don’t read certain genres often to try something new. I don’t think it is inherently wrong, but it can make it difficult to find what you are looking for if you want a specific genre.
“Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” —Helen Keller
Lily Walker 1
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: A Little Life
Bookshelf Size: 225
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lily-walker-1.html
Latest Review: Fireproof Happiness by Dr. Randy Ross

Post by Lily Walker 1 »

I actually completely agree. As an avid fantasy reader, I have an extremely difficult time getting into science fiction because “science” is literally in the title, and there’s always some form of it that is important to the book. That’s not to say that there’s anything wrong with that, but magic is based completely on made up principles while science fiction relies on actual, fact-based science, so they should be in completely different categories, as you said.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”