Official Review: King's Warrior by Jenelle Leanne Schmidt

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Duende Knocking
Favorite Author: Albert Camus
Currently Reading: Too lazy to update this every day
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-duende-knocking.html
Latest Review: "A World Within Our World" by J. M. Parker
fav_author_id: 2688

Official Review: King's Warrior by Jenelle Leanne Schmidt

Post by Duende Knocking »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "King's Warrior" by Jenelle Leanne Schmidt.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Before I begin my review, I would like to point out that this book is sitting on the table next to me. After reading 100 pages of the free ebook I had received as a reviewer, I decided that this was an author whose work I liked enough that I wanted to support her. I found the paperback on Amazon, and waited to finish the tale until I had the book in my hands. I was not disappointed. I give this book, without hesitation, 4 out of 4 stars. King's Warrior is Jenelle Leanne Schmidt's first book, a fantasy novel that seems to deny age boundaries, similar to the Narnia tales in its sophistication and intrigue. While a young adult or child could easily enjoy it, I never felt that I was reading a book for youth. A sequel, Second Son, has since been published, and one can expect more in The Minstrel's Song saga.

The peaceful kingdom of Aom-igh is threatened with war by a land renowned for their warriors, but an ancient pact with the king of dragons* tells King Arnaud that there may yet be hope for them. Princess Kamarie, the squire Oraeyn, and Kamarie's maid Darby, are sent away in the face of impending war, both to find aid and to keep Kamarie safe. Their first stop along the way is to find the titular character, Brant, who was once the king's greatest warrior, as well as his dearest friend, before retiring to the countryside. On their travels, they pick up not only Brant, but Yole, a young boy who is far from who (and what) he appears. Their mission is far from over though, as next they must travel to the dragon realm Krayghentaliss and request assistance, as well as seek the aid of the wizardess Leila who lives deep within the Harshlands. Ancient pacts are not so simply understood though, and trouble is never far behind.

The writing style was simple, but hardly boring. The reading was very smooth, filled with just the right amount of description, distinct dialogue traits for each character, and a natural flow.

The characterization was excellent, with vivid & enjoyable characters who act in believable ways. I liked every single character, which is very rare for me, to say the least! While the villains were initially portrayed as suspiciously generic "dark warriors", eventually the reader learned more about their motives, their leaders, their moral code, and even their language (they are ot actually just "dark warriors"). No character was who they first appeared to be, rendering much richness to their depth, and while there were a couple who I felt could have been filled in a bit more than they were, I was never confused or left in the dark about them. The clever parallels between King Arnaud and King Rhendak of the dragons do not go unnoticed.

World-building was nothing radically unique for fantasy, but it was hardly boring and carried with it many surprises. Schmidt's world is one where humans and dragons once lived in peace, and even aided one another in battle, but over the years, the "myth-folk", which includes griffons, unicorns, and pegasi, vanished from the realm. All they left behind was their promise to aid the king of Aom-igh should he need them. The dragon-human dynamic was excellent, both refreshingly unique and very believable, though I do wish it had been touched upon more in the latter half of the story (never fear, the dragons do make a comeback, but there was a stretch where they were not mentioned). The dragons themselves are portrayed as very "human" in their emotions, which is a nice change from traditional high fantasy. They have their own society and their own laws. While their behavior may be strange to humans, one can understand and sympathize with their feelings. As a final note about world-building, the glossary in the back was a good sign of how much love the author put into her work.

The story itself was significantly more complex than it first appeared; one can always expect quests in fantasy, but it is rare that nearly every single character along the way has both their time to shine and their chance to explore themselves. While the politics of good versus evil in this tale were fairly straightforward, they still existed. This was far from a tale of good versus evil just for the sake of it (a common plight of high fantasy). There are many surprises to be found in the last fifty pages, and I was kept guessing as to the identity of a couple of individuals until the very end!

There were a few small things (perhaps not issues though) that ought to be addressed before I wrap this up:
  • Editorial issues were at a bare minimum; I really only noticed a few incidents. A character temporarily dropped his accent at one point. A comma was forgotten. "At times" and "sometimes" were used in the same sentence. Overall though, the mistakes were minor and infrequent enough that they could be overlooked.

One of the minor characters was strongly reminiscent of Galadriel from LotR, though I believe this was fully intended (the author herself has named her children after Tolkien characters) and the author was not trying to deceive anyone in writing her as such. It came across more as a respectful tribute than laziness.

Another character, who appears about a hundred chapters from the end, is repeatedly hinted at being more than he appears, but this is never resolved. As this is a series and he is perhaps the minstrel that the series is named after, I expect this to be cleared up eventually.

Finally, if I may get on a soapbox for a moment, I would like to comment on the handling of gender and class roles. Women play a significant role in this story, as both warriors and caretakers, and they are never pressured to be one or the other (sometimes in an attempt to write "strong women" in fantasy novels, authors can inadvertently criticize those who choose to stay at home). Not only is the main character Kamarie, a princess who was trained as a squire, but some of the most powerful magic-wielders in the realm are women, and a young mother whose devotion to her daughter proves to be a deciding factor in the tide of war. Schmidt’s world is one where rulers are chosen, where social class and bloodline are nothing but a coincidence, and ones' courage and honor is what determines how said individual is treated by their peers. Another slight bonus, at least for me, was the lack of romance. No heroine and hero falling for each other, here!

King’s Warrior is worthy of 4 out of 4 stars. I would definitely recommend it for all lovers of a good story, whatever their typical genre or age group preference may be, and will be buying the next book by this author for sure!

*I do think it is worth noting that dragons were not mentioned in the summary offered when I chose this book. They definitely should have been, as not only are they critical to the story, but Schmidt’s dragons are wonderful. :)

King's Warrior
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Duende Knocking's review? Post a comment saying so!
"Everything is a dangerous drug except reality, which is unendurable."
- Cyril Connolly
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Wonderful review! I like your breakdown of all the little things that made the book enjoyable. It's really nice that you bought the paperback in order to support the author.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
PashaRu
Currently Reading: Vicars of Christ - The Dark Side of the Papacy
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pasharu.html
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd

Post by PashaRu »

Thanks for an excellent, well written review. Quite thorough and detailed, and your opinions/impressions of the book are expressed very well. I don't typically read fantasy and probably won't read this, but I really enjoyed reading your review. :handgestures-thumbup:
[Insert quote here. Read. Raise an eyebrow. Be mildly amused. Rinse & repeat.]
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd
Duende Knocking

PashaRu wrote:Thanks for an excellent, well written review. Quite thorough and detailed, and your opinions/impressions of the book are expressed very well. I don't typically read fantasy and probably won't read this, but I really enjoyed reading your review. :handgestures-thumbup:
bookowlie wrote:Wonderful review! I like your breakdown of all the little things that made the book enjoyable. It's really nice that you bought the paperback in order to support the author.
Thank you very much, both of you! I worried that it was a bit long but I feel like fantasy books sometimes require some extra categories for comments (like worldbuilding). :o
- Cyril Connolly
Lisalovecraft
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisalovecraft.html
Latest Review: "A Devil of a Time" by Gretchen Jeannette

Post by Lisalovecraft »

Great review! This sounds like something I'd really enjoy..Anne mcaffery's Dragon Riders of Pern was always a favorite of mine. I do love a good fantasy world with dragons!!
Latest Review: "A Devil of a Time" by Gretchen Jeannette
Duende Knocking

Lisalovecraft wrote:Great review! This sounds like something I'd really enjoy..Anne mcaffery's Dragon Riders of Pern was always a favorite of mine. I do love a good fantasy world with dragons!!
There ARE dragon riders in this! Though they are supposedly "extinct", I have a feeling they will make an appearance in later books in the series (there are hints that the heroine is one).

I'm pretty picky about my dragons but I really enjoyed the ones here.
- Cyril Connolly
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

I didn't realize that readers are so picky about the types of dragons featured in books. :) To me, a dragon is a dragon.....
Duende Knocking

bookowlie wrote:I didn't realize that readers are so picky about the types of dragons featured in books. :) To me, a dragon is a dragon.....
I have no choice but to be picky. I only ever saw my birthname twice in novels, and she was a dragon slayer of evil dragons in one of them. I was pretty mad as a dragon-loving kid for a while. :roll: ...so I've always been frustrated with books where dragons are unequivocally or mindlessly evil.
- Cyril Connolly
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Interesting childhood anecdote! I was more of a Nancy Drew-loving kid myself....boring, but true. :)
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Forever Twelve

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

Great review! When I was a kid, I loved Piers Anthony's Xanth books, and they featured a friendly dragon, as I recall. His seventh book in particular featured the friendly dragon. It was called... Dragon on a Pedestal and the dragon was Stanley Steamer. :-)
Duende Knocking

@bookowlie - I read everything I could get my hands on as a kid, but always had a soft spot for fantasy and animal stories!
zeldas_lullaby wrote:Great review! When I was a kid, I loved Piers Anthony's Xanth books, and they featured a friendly dragon, as I recall. His seventh book in particular featured the friendly dragon. It was called... Dragon on a Pedestal and the dragon was Stanley Steamer. :-)
I actually never read those! I've heard about them, but never read them. I should consider them this summer, even though I might be a bit old. :shhh:
- Cyril Connolly
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

Oh, hey, you're never too old! The first ten or fifteen books are great, and they read as adult fantasy. While they attract younger readers, they're not necessarily geared that way. But then the series degenerated badly--I think the author was given too much reign in the content, because his perverse, inappropriate side came out a bit too much and never went away. Instead of focusing on the story lines and the quests, the books started focusing on female body parts. I know that sounds hard to believe, but it's true. Until that point in the series (and you'll know when you've reached that point), the books are great! I haven't read any of them in a loooong time, though!
Duende Knocking

zeldas_lullaby wrote:Oh, hey, you're never too old! The first ten or fifteen books are great, and they read as adult fantasy. While they attract younger readers, they're not necessarily geared that way. But then the series degenerated badly--I think the author was given too much reign in the content, because his perverse, inappropriate side came out a bit too much and never went away. Instead of focusing on the story lines and the quests, the books started focusing on female body parts. I know that sounds hard to believe, but it's true. Until that point in the series (and you'll know when you've reached that point), the books are great! I haven't read any of them in a loooong time, though!
Like the Dragonriders of Pern series, maybe? Those were in that weird ambiguous zone of "intermediate reader? young adult? adult?" as well. Not in the same way the Narnia books are though. That zone has two sides. :lol:

Oh geez.... I can't say that totally shocks me given the author, but that's still a little awkward. I think once a series gets popular enough, the editors start sitting back a little more. I've seen so many initially great series go down the toilet once they hit ten books.
- Cyril Connolly
zeldas_lullaby

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

Exactly. My thinking was that, with the popularity, the author became more insistent on the direction of the series... with detrimental effects. And that they'd been able to rein him in prior to that point. (Which would also explain the rapid publisher changes in that series! From one publishing house to another.)

I think a series can stay good if that doesn't happen, such as the Heartland books by Lauren Brooke. The Xanth books would've remained good, too, if he'd stuck with the formula and not starting flying his freak flag.

(My apologies to the author, Jenelle Leanne Schmidt, for getting off-topic here.)

Anyways, I too love a friendly dragon. This is going to sound crazy, but I constantly have that song, Candle on the Water, running through my head from when I saw Pete's Dragon on Disney some twenty five years ago.

-- 16 Apr 2015, 16:31 --

(I have an almost eidetic musical memory.)
Duende Knocking

Oh wow I didn't realize there were publisher changes! Yea that might be a red flag if there are too many in a series.... The Heartland ones are the horse ones, right? I read about 12 or so of those when I was younger. Another series that stayed good was Dinotopia, even though the authors were different for each book (the novel series).

And on topic, I'm expecting this series to stay good, too! I haven't bought the sequel yet (I plan to over the summer when I have some time though). It looks like it's the same world, but different characters (or at least a mostly different set of them), so I'm guessing the stories all merge at one point.

Same about music!!
- Cyril Connolly

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”