Official Review: King's Warrior by Jenelle Leanne Schmidt

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Forever Twelve

Re: Official Review: King's Warrior by Jenelle Leanne Schmid

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

Yeah, I bet you're right about this series. :-) I hope you post back after you read the second?

Yep, Heartland was about the horsies. I have a complete set (mint), and it was not easy to acquire. (Many are out of print, there's a mismatched British version out there, I'm particular about condition, amazon sellers are less than honest, etc.) I've read about fifteen so far! I'm glad you read them too!

You have an eidetic memory too? Freaky!! Great minds think alike!

-- 21 Apr 2015, 17:45 --

Oops, I meant eidetic musical memory.
Rachaelamb1
Favorite Author: CS Lewis
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... onwitch</a>
Currently Reading: Falling Star
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachaelamb1.html
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco

Post by Rachaelamb1 »

Oh wow this sounds like a fantastic book! Your review has definitely intrigued me! Will definitely put this on my to read list.
Thanks for the review. I wouldn't normally pick up this book as the cover and title hold little appeal to me so it's great to have reviews such as these to help know which books to buy!
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco
Duende Knocking
Favorite Author: Albert Camus
Currently Reading: Too lazy to update this every day
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-duende-knocking.html
Latest Review: "A World Within Our World" by J. M. Parker
fav_author_id: 2688

Post by Duende Knocking »

Rachaelamb1 wrote:Oh wow this sounds like a fantastic book! Your review has definitely intrigued me! Will definitely put this on my to read list.
Thanks for the review. I wouldn't normally pick up this book as the cover and title hold little appeal to me so it's great to have reviews such as these to help know which books to buy!
The back cover has a dragon on it, if that helps at all? :)

And thank you! It was definitely a great read!
"Everything is a dangerous drug except reality, which is unendurable."
- Cyril Connolly
Latest Review: "A World Within Our World" by J. M. Parker
TheJaynes
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thejaynes.html

Post by TheJaynes »

bookowlie wrote:I didn't realize that readers are so picky about the types of dragons featured in books. :) To me, a dragon is a dragon.....
:o oh no! We are VERY picky about dragons!
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

I have to admit... I kind of don't like books that are too long. I like super concise stories all wrapped up nice and tight, and when I saw the number of pages in the book on Amazon, I was like EEEP and fully prepared to close the screen and run for the hills. Hahaha. But your review kind of eased some of my fears about that. Long, epic stories can often be bogged down with too many details (hence why I try to avoid them) but pointing out that this is written in a simple style, but hardly boring was like a high relieving sigh for me. That alone could sell me on this book! Thank you for the review!!!!
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

"A fantasy novel that seems to deny age boundaries" is my kind of a book. I love the genre! Thank you for the well-written review! Congratulations to the author for the positive review! :tiphat:
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
lmoses
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lmoses.html
Latest Review: "Incandescent" by Shannon Avangeline

Post by lmoses »

I am excited that this book is the BOTD and have just purchased it. The review you submitted sounds really good and I am looking forward to reading it!
Latest Review: "Incandescent" by Shannon Avangeline
acasto
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 85">King's Warrior</a>
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-acasto.html
Latest Review: "I can still hear what Grandma Said "Give me my flowers while I live"" by Sonya JW Lunsford

Post by acasto »

Thank you so much for this wonderful review. I am always hesitant to try new book reccomendations from strangers, like with the OBC Book of the Day. But, after reading your review, I decided to give it a try. I was amazed by the quality of writing and the fact that the book is very clean. There was a little bit of gore of course, but it was very limited and not the focus of the story. I must also say that I've read this book twice since it was Book of the Day. I very rarely read any fiction book more than once, because I get bored of it the second time around. But it was fascinating to go through it again and see all of the foreshadowing and character building. I'm also buying this book as a gift, which I also never do. So congratulations to the author for such a great book and to @Duende Knocking for convincing me to give it a try.
Latest Review: "I can still hear what Grandma Said "Give me my flowers while I live"" by Sonya JW Lunsford
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

It's amazing when a book captures your attention so much that you want to finish the read in a physical copy versus an electronic one! I also love when characters are developed well in any read, and fantasy is definitely one of my preferred genres. The way women portrayed here also seem very sensitive to both caretakers and warriors, which I really like. Sounds like an awesome book! Thank you for the insightful and pleasant review!
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
tarafarah7
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mitch Albom
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ">tuesdays with Morrie</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1437
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarafarah7.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2544

Post by tarafarah7 »

Bravo!! What a fantastic review of today's #BOTD! You covered it all and really did this book justice! The author should be very proud. :-) At first I wasn't sure if this was something I would enjoy, but after your glowing review, how can I resist? I also think this might be something some of my high school students would like...I'm going to send an email out to let them know they should download this book today, especially since it is free. I'm looking forward to reading more of your reviews in the future. You are so thorough and very helpful to readers without giving away anything in the story. Awesome that the story continues with a book 2...perhaps we will meet again when you give us your review for that one. Thank you so much!
Snowflake
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-snowflake.html
Latest Review: Don't Think Twice by Barbara Schoichet

Post by Snowflake »

Your review was very thorough and helpful. I especially like knowing that the women in the book were treated with such care and balance. This sounds like an interesting read.
peace starts with a smile...
mindyg123
Currently Reading: Lycan Fallout
Bookshelf Size: 565
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mindyg123.html

Post by mindyg123 »

Fantastic review. I can't wait to read this epic fantasy with a king of dragons, a princess and impending war. Can't wait to read this and thanks to the author for making it free today. Congrats on being BOTD.
Mindyg123 :techie-studyingbrown:
jemgirl202
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 870
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jemgirl202.html
Latest Review: My Angel My Hero by Brenda E. Mcdaniel

Post by jemgirl202 »

Great Review!!! I can't wait to read this one! I downloaded it and I am adding it to my shelves now! I am a huge fan of medieval fantasy and this definitely sounds like something I would enjoy!
Sarah_Khan
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3700">Gone With the Wind</a>
Currently Reading: Circe
Bookshelf Size: 336
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-khan.html
Latest Review: The Formidable King by Alyssa J. Montgomery

Post by Sarah_Khan »

Although this book isn't exactly my cup of tea, I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it enough to buy the physical copy. I also think it's great that it includes strong female characters. Sounds like a great book for fans of fantasy. :) Great job on the review!
Strangerthanfiction
Currently Reading: Night Seeker
Bookshelf Size: 304
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-strangerthanfiction.html

Post by Strangerthanfiction »

Great review! Love the detail, the way you really broke everything down left a clear picture of the many reasons why I want to read this book now. I especially love fantasy and the fact that you likened it to Narnia really clinches it for me. Thanks so much for sharing.
“You know you’ve read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend.” – Paul Sweeney

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”