The Wicked City by Megan Morgan

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
scquarantillo
Favorite Author: rachel vincent
Favorite Book: Forever by Judy Blume
Currently Reading: Undead to the World
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scquarantillo.html
fav_author_id: 4455

The Wicked City by Megan Morgan

Post by scquarantillo »

The Wicked City is the first in a series by Megan Morgan.

Whatever June Coffin says, goes—literally. And it’s not just because she’s a chain smoking rebel. As a Siren, June has the ability to force people to obey any command she voices. But in a world where those with supernatural powers quickly become lab rats for science, she’d rather look out for herself than fight on the front lines…until her similarly gifted twin brother, Jason, is captured by Chicago’s Institute of Supernatural Research.

To save Jason, June has no choice but to enter a hidden world of conspiracy, murder—and strange bedfellows—including a widowed paranormal advocate whose memory June accidentally erased, and a fiery paranormal separatist leader. Soon the lines between attraction and strategic alliance become blurred. But in a city exploding with paranormal crossfire, and her brother’s life at stake, June will have to face her inner demons and finally take a stand.

Can I just say...Wow! What a great story. The Wicked City is so much different from any UF or paranormal romance book out there right now. I thoroughly enjoyed this story, and Megan Morgan left me wanting more! Her writing is so descriptive and creative I felt as if I was inside the story. She took the time to describe everything around June; people she was with, clothes they were wearing, all the way down to the road she was driving on. It felt like a nonstop movie reel going through my head!

I love finding new authors about to make it big and Miss Morgan is certainly one to watch out for! She is a great writer with so much talent. Her characters are well developed, each has his or her own special something that makes them stand out, and not to mention their pretty kickass! I really fell in love with The Wicked City, and I can't wait to see what's in store for us next.

June was a great protagonist. She was funny, witty, and never boring or complacent. June was an all around badass.Her sarcasm and self-deprecation really helped me relate to her. Well, that and the fact that she has amazing taste in men. Over all I think as a lead character she was everything she should be, and then some.

June has two men in her life in The Wicked City. Micha is the blue eyed, blonde, and an all American boy. He is very sweet throughout the story and I really liked how he and June meshed. Then we have Sam. Sam is exactly the opposite of Micha. Mysterious, tall, dark, and handsome. He is definitely hot, and what's makes him even more sexy are the lengths he is willing to go to for our June.

The only problem I had with The Wicked City was that in the beginning it was hard to get into the story. I was a little confused as to what was going on, and at some points I was utterly lost. However, after the first few chapters I found my way. I got so into the book that I couldn't put it down. Over all this was a fantastic read and I am so glad I got the chance to review it!

I rated this book 3 out of 4 stars.
I would recommend this book to all lovers of Paranormal Romance.
Lisalovecraft
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisalovecraft.html
Latest Review: "A Devil of a Time" by Gretchen Jeannette

Post by Lisalovecraft »

Nice review. I Have been looking for another good paranormal romance series since finishing the Sookie Stackhouse series. This definitely sounds promising.
Latest Review: "A Devil of a Time" by Gretchen Jeannette
scquarantillo

Post by scquarantillo »

Lisalovecraft wrote:Nice review. I Have been looking for another good paranormal romance series since finishing the Sookie Stackhouse series. This definitely sounds promising.
I'm so glad you like the review! I worked really hard on it. I am on the review team and I am trying to write my reviews more carefully. I am hoping one of the administrators or another person on review team will see it and give me a few tips lol

As for the story, I thought the beginning was a little slow and it kind of started out of nowhere. But after you get past the first few chapters it is hard to put down! I hope you enjoy it, and please let me know what you think of it!
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

You did fine. Thank you for the lovely review. 8)

Sounds like a fun read.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
scquarantillo

Post by scquarantillo »

gali wrote:You did fine. Thank you for the lovely review. 8)

Sounds like a fun read.
Thanks I really appreciate the feedback! I have been a little timid towards reviews since my first was rejected. I worked so hard on it, and I got a little discouraged. Thanks for taking the time to read it!

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”