Official Review: Second Hand Stops by Katie St. Claire

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
melbuhtoast
Favorite Book: The Great Gatsby
Currently Reading: The Goldfinch
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melbuhtoast.html
Latest Review: "Angry Enough to Kill" by S.J. Dunn

Official Review: Second Hand Stops by Katie St. Claire

Post by melbuhtoast »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Second Hand Stops" by Katie St. Claire.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Second Hand Stops is the first book in a new YA sci-fi series by Katie St. Claire. The story is told from the perspective of Julia Malone, a girl abandoned by her family at an early age who comes to live in a manor with five other individuals. They all have one very important thing in common: they're telepathic.

Nic, Sebastian, and Dutch Maye are a set of brothers as different as night and day. Nic is protective and shares a deep connection with Julia, Sebastian loves to play mind games and get under everyone's skin, and Dutch is sensitive and sweet. Lyra Twerth is the only other girl at the manor, and has always come across as a little unhinged. Lincoln Sackinstock is defiant and dark, and everyone in the manor is unsettled by him except for Lyra.

Once all of them have turned eighteen, they are forced by their headmistress, Lillian, to take a drought of an elixir that is meant to prolong their lives, the thought of which makes Julia nervous. One by one, each of them takes the elixir, and weird things begin to happen - Nic becomes even more protective, Sebastian even more sadistic, Dutch more sensitive, Lyra more unhinged and Lincoln even more dark. For Julia, the change is apparent to everyone else but herself. Once the elixir has been taken, they learn their benefactor, Claude Van Buren, has made provisions for their employment at his company, and they must all prepare to move to New York City. Julia and Nic are the first to make the move, and things don't go quite as planned. Suddenly they find themselves mixed up in the cross hairs of some dangerous people hell bent on getting their hands on the secret of the elixir.

Overall, I found this book to be an incredibly fun read. The moment I began reading I was hooked and it was hard to put down. The beginning started a little slow, but only because the author took the time to develop and describe each of the characters, which I liked because it gave me a better sense of who they are and the roles they would play in the story. There were some situations where the teenage angst and melodrama were a bit much, but overall it seemed about right for YA fiction.

The one thing I really wished for once I got to the end was that it was a bit longer. The ending is quite abrupt, and you don't yet have an idea of what is really going on, so while you're left with a cliffhanger, I felt it could've been done more effectively by beefing up the storyline and letting more happen. All that to say, I would definitely recommend this book and look forward to reading the next book in the series.

Overall I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I think I would've given it a 4 if the teen angst was toned down just a little and the story hadn't ended so abruptly.

Second Hand Stops
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like melbuhtoast's review? Post a comment saying so!
katiestclaire
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by katiestclaire »

Thank you so much for this incredible review! There are a lot of shocking revelations in books II and III, which wraps up the entire series with an explosive farewell. Book II has a much softer landing at the end, but all three will be released at the same time so readers can move from one to the next without having to wait. I left it on the premise that there may be a second generation of Van Burens. :)

I'm so pleased it kept you entertained and engaged; and thank you again!
Duende Knocking
Favorite Author: Albert Camus
Currently Reading: Too lazy to update this every day
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-duende-knocking.html
Latest Review: "A World Within Our World" by J. M. Parker
fav_author_id: 2688

Post by Duende Knocking »

I was going to ask if there was a sequel but it looks like the author answered my question!

Great review, OP, and this looks like a good read. I know a couple of people who would probably really like this and may pass the title along to them. :)
"Everything is a dangerous drug except reality, which is unendurable."
- Cyril Connolly
Latest Review: "A World Within Our World" by J. M. Parker
melbuhtoast

Post by melbuhtoast »

katiestclaire wrote:Thank you so much for this incredible review! There are a lot of shocking revelations in books II and III, which wraps up the entire series with an explosive farewell. Book II has a much softer landing at the end, but all three will be released at the same time so readers can move from one to the next without having to wait. I left it on the premise that there may be a second generation of Van Burens. :)

I'm so pleased it kept you entertained and engaged; and thank you again!
Thank YOU for writing such an engaging book! I am really looking forward to books II and III. Do you know when the others will become available?
PashaRu
Currently Reading: Vicars of Christ - The Dark Side of the Papacy
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pasharu.html
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd

Post by PashaRu »

Thanks for a nice review! I don't typically read YA, but I enjoyed reading your review. It is well-written, insightful, and specific.
[Insert quote here. Read. Raise an eyebrow. Be mildly amused. Rinse & repeat.]
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd
katiestclaire
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by katiestclaire »

I'm in editing and beta, but all three books will release by the end of March. It really was a fantastic and thorough review...and great tips. Very appreciative! :)
melbuhtoast

Post by melbuhtoast »

Duende Knocking wrote:I was going to ask if there was a sequel but it looks like the author answered my question!

Great review, OP, and this looks like a good read. I know a couple of people who would probably really like this and may pass the title along to them. :)
Thanks for the positive feedback on the review. I would absolutely recommend this book!

-- 26 Feb 2015, 09:12 --
PashaRu wrote:Thanks for a nice review! I don't typically read YA, but I enjoyed reading your review. It is well-written, insightful, and specific.
Thanks for the great feedback - it will help me with future reviews!

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”