Michael Moorcock, do you advise him?

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
debbiebee
Favorite Book: The Secret History
Bookshelf Size: 4

Michael Moorcock, do you advise him?

Post by debbiebee »

Our local charity shop has a great stack of books by Michael Moorcock at a ludicrously low price and I'm always on the lookout for new reading matter, but I'm not really a fantasy junkie. However, I have enjoyed Terry Brooks and Stephen Lawhead, as well as being a Philip Pullman fan. Afficionados please tell me, should I give him a go?
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau
Lisalovecraft
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisalovecraft.html
Latest Review: "A Devil of a Time" by Gretchen Jeannette

Post by Lisalovecraft »

Out of the three authors you listed, I would compare him most to Terry Brooks. I have only read Moorcock's Elric series, which is a classic. I highly recommend it. I can only vouch for the first three books in the series, but I know there are many more. Sounds like you found a great deal!
Latest Review: "A Devil of a Time" by Gretchen Jeannette
Erich_gray
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erich-gray.html

Post by Erich_gray »

I would say with a big YES!! The Elric series is a good series to begin with. Also, the british band "Hawkwind" writes many of thier songs based on Moorcocks writings. "The Chronicles of the Black Sword" is a complete album based on the Elric series.

If you love high fantasy and something a bit different and original, go for it. You will not regret it.

Erich
theredhairedcrow
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 12069">The Transformer Trilogy</a>
Currently Reading: Tracker (Foreigner)
Bookshelf Size: 86

Post by theredhairedcrow »

Michael Moorcock is one of my favorite fantasy authors, and I would certainly recommend him for lovers of fantasy. His characters are quite memorable, wonderfully complex sometimes tragic; the writing very intelligent and visual. I've read and collected the majority of his earlier works: Elric of Melnibone series, the Chronicles of Corum, Hawkmoon and so forth. Many of them interconnect in some way also, as they are aspects of "The Eternal Champion".

Glad you posted this thread, not that I'd forgotten the writer or his works at all, but I'm glad to be prompted on how much I enjoyed many of the series. So many wonderful scenes, plot twists and events come to mind! Am going to reread :-)

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”