Official Review: Crescent City (An Alec Winters Series, B...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ananya92
Favorite Author: Jeffrey Archer
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ananya92.html
Latest Review: A Passover in Peshawar by AM Sardar
fav_author_id: 4949

Official Review: Crescent City (An Alec Winters Series, B...

Post by ananya92 »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Crescent City (An Alec Winters Series, Book 1)" by Chariss K. Walker.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Crescent City (An Alec Winters Series-Book 1) by Chariss K.Walker, is a book in the fantasy genre. The story is based in New Orleans where the protagonist, Alec Winters, is hot on the trail of sexual predators. When two similar and horrific murders rock the city, Vivien Simon, an investigative reporter, tries to uncover the connection between the two. Who is behind these murders? When the murder victims are proved to be pedophiles, the police and Vivien have to decide who are they pursuing: a serial killer or a vigilante?

The running theme of the novel is retributive justice. The author focuses on sex crimes, especially pedophilia, present in every society. The book is based in a dark, urban fantasy world. The description of the sex crimes committed in the book is so graphic that it made my skin crawl. The best (and the worst, for the weak hearted) quality of these scenes was that they were pretty realistic and the author effectively couches the dark reality in fantasy fiction.

The writing style is crisp and the author creates images which are disturbing, to say the least. If the description of the sex crimes was not enough, the killings are described in a more horrific and violent fashion. The author’s writing style is quite persuasive and succeeds to a great extent in convincing the reader that the culprits in the book deserve the punishment they get.

What really impressed me was the manner in which the author explains the psychology of victims of sex crimes. The author drives home the point that often sex crimes, like pedophilia, are more about control than about actual physical violation. Often the offender is someone from the family or someone who is well respected in the society, and the author does a good job of describing the mental abuse felt by the victim. The sex offenders in the book leech happiness and courage out of their victims. The author also dealt effectively with the gullibility of children and how the offenders manipulate them to believe that they were responsible for what was happening to them. The emotion of fear has a certain duality in the book. It is felt by the victims, when they were about to be violated and by the criminals, when they were facing their horrific punishment.

What I found slightly disappointing in the book was the climax. Firstly, the climax was quite predictable and secondly, the last scene is not as action packed as the rest of the book. But apart from that, the book is fast paced and engaging. I rate it 4 out of 4, though I would advise teenage audience against reading this book. Also, readers who cannot stomach excessive violence should avoid this one.

Crescent City (An Alec Winters Series, Book 1)
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Barnes and Noble

Like ananya92's review? Post a comment saying so!
Kappy
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Isaac Asimov
Favorite Book: The Essene Gospel of Peace
Currently Reading: McGee & Stuckey's Bountiful Container
Bookshelf Size: 762
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kappy.html
Latest Review: "The Big Exoneration" by Dennis Sanchez
fav_author_id: 2547

Post by Kappy »

Excellent review. But this book clearly is not for me. When I worked in a prosecutor's office, I had to read many hundreds of police reports describing sex crimes. No more of that for me!
Good Thoughts, Good Words, Good Deeds
Latest Review: "The Big Exoneration" by Dennis Sanchez
HoneyB
Currently Reading: The Law of Moses
Bookshelf Size: 270
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honeyb.html
Latest Review: "The Whisper of Time" by Ute Carbone

Post by HoneyB »

Great review. I think it would tick me off to read it though. I do hope the "punishments" were excessive!
A book is a device to ignite the imagination.
~Alan Bennett
Latest Review: "The Whisper of Time" by Ute Carbone
ananya92
Currently Reading:

Post by ananya92 »

Thanks Kappy & HoneyB :)
Thimble
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 6338">Iron Kissed</a>
Currently Reading: A Wise Man's Fear
Bookshelf Size: 270
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thimble.html
Latest Review: The Captain's Collie by Ace Mask
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Thimble »

Good review. The story sounds interesting. However, the heavy descriptions of violence sounds like too much for me. I'm a very imaginative reader and things stick with me for a long time.

On a kind of side note: The cover looks like it needs some better photoshopping done to it.

~Thimble
"You can never leave footprints that last if you are always walking on tiptoe." - Leymah Gbowee
ananya92
Currently Reading:

Post by ananya92 »

I had similar thoughts regarding the cover when I saw it for the first time.
Deee
Favorite Author: J.R.R. Tolkien
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 18984">The Two Towers</a>
Currently Reading: Second Foundation
Bookshelf Size: 1417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deee.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Deee »

Great review ananya92! I wanted to read this book because of the superb review. I watch law in order svu and I thought I was ready for this book but it's much more graphic. I felt like I was going to be sick reading those descriptive scenes, but perhaps the author did that to make us understand the brand of justice the main protagonist delivered. I completely agree with you about the climax and felt the 4 out 4 rating was well deserved. Great job!
"But to find out the truth about how dreams die, one should never take the word of the dreamer."

Toni Morrison, The Bluest Eye.
B3cca 3ll3r
Favorite Author: Jacob Abbott
Currently Reading: Ivy and Pepper
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-b3cca-3ll3r.html
Latest Review: "Around the world adventures of Max & Jack FRANCE" by Emily F Overton
fav_author_id: 21085

Post by B3cca 3ll3r »

Great review ananya92! Congratulations Chariss K. Walker!
"We read to know we are not alone." ~ C.S. Lewis
Latest Review: "Around the world adventures of Max & Jack FRANCE" by Emily F Overton
ananya92
Currently Reading:

Post by ananya92 »

Thanks Deee and B3cca! :)

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”