Official Review: Belinae's Prophecy

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
BookWorm07
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookworm07.html
Latest Review: "The Voice of Thunder" by Raina Kadavil

Official Review: Belinae's Prophecy

Post by BookWorm07 »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Belinae's Prophecy" by Charles Alexander McClish.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Belinae’s Prophecy by Charles Alexander McClish, is a fantasy novel set in an alternate world called Gwenith. It is the story of Trevor and Tristan, whose village had been mysteriously attacked and entirely wiped out, including their parents. Their sister was missing and therefore was probably alive. The duo set out to inform the King of the incident and to find their little sister.

In their quest, they learn of Belinae’s prophecy, predicting a repeat of a war that had taken place a hundred and fifty years ago between the kingdoms of Gwenith and the God of Sorrow and Death, Kendrin.

The story of Belinae’s prophecy had the traditional theme of good vs. evil. Gwenith also has a medieval Europe feel to it. In total, it has everything a fantasy lover could want; beautiful places, magic, a quest, conflicts, good villains, etc.

However, I still had a hard time reading this book, not because it was not well written. In fact, I could not find any obvious grammatical error and the language used fits quite well with the setting of the novel. However, the plot, albeit interesting, was way too rushed. The author gives a threadbare story that could definitely be fleshed out for a few more pages. Too many things happen at the same time leaving readers befuddled. More importantly, there is less time for a fantasy lover to just enjoy the beauty of the world before chaos strikes the land.

Another major problem that was even more of an issue than the rushed writing was plot inconsistencies. For example, without any warning, Tristan turns into a prophet of sorts in the middle of the book, whose dreams are filled with events from the future, which help Trevor in choosing his actions in the present.

There wasn’t much character development in the book either, except for one particular guy who turns from being a royal snob into a good man by the end of the book. Such a shame, as I was looking forward to reading how Trevor and Tristan are changed by everything that happened around them.

Now that the Cons are out of the way, I’ll get to the Pro’s of the book. Despite everything I mentioned above, I really did like the story. The book was entertaining and even had a few moments here I did laugh out loud. It was a good book, just wasn’t the best.

I’d rate this book 2 out of 4 stars.

Buy "Belinae's Prophecy" on Amazon
"Words are, in my not so humble opinion, our most inexhaustible source of magic" - J.K. Rowling
Kappy
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Isaac Asimov
Favorite Book: The Essene Gospel of Peace
Currently Reading: McGee & Stuckey's Bountiful Container
Bookshelf Size: 762
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kappy.html
Latest Review: "The Big Exoneration" by Dennis Sanchez
fav_author_id: 2547

Post by Kappy »

Good job of pointing out the pros and cons of the book. This sounds like it has the potential to become an excellent book once the writer becomes more experienced.
Good Thoughts, Good Words, Good Deeds
Latest Review: "The Big Exoneration" by Dennis Sanchez
Felnion
Currently Reading: 10 Step Plan to Promote Your Book
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Felnion »

I have addressed the issues that were brought to my attention in this review and will be having it re-reviewed on the tenth of april. 10,000+ words have been added to "flesh it out" and many other changes have been made. Stay tuned...
bluemel4
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Anne Bishop
Currently Reading: The Dark Tower, Books 1-3
Bookshelf Size: 466
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluemel4.html
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 6086

Post by bluemel4 »

Great job Bookworm07! This is a book that I will watch out for especially since the author is addressing issues you pointed out. :)
"Life is a journey, not a destination" --Ralph Waldo Emerson
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Tammyellelamb

Post by Tammyellelamb »

That's a shame the plot was rushed and there were too many inconsistencies. It seemed like it could have been a good story :(.
BookWorm07
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookworm07.html

Post by BookWorm07 »

Felnion wrote:I have addressed the issues that were brought to my attention in this review and will be having it re-reviewed on the tenth of april. 10,000+ words have been added to "flesh it out" and many other changes have been made. Stay tuned...
Wow! The 10,000+ words part has got me super excited. Looking forward to seeing the book's review on the site soon. :D

-- 27 Mar 2015, 00:32 --
bluemel4 wrote:Great job Bookworm07! This is a book that I will watch out for especially since the author is addressing issues you pointed out. :)
Thanks, hope you enjoy the book. :)

-- 27 Mar 2015, 00:35 --
Tammyellelamb wrote:That's a shame the plot was rushed and there were too many inconsistencies. It seemed like it could have been a good story :(.
The author seems to have addressed those points and is resubmitting the book for review. So don't write off his book just yet. :)
"Words are, in my not so humble opinion, our most inexhaustible source of magic" - J.K. Rowling
Felnion
Currently Reading: 10 Step Plan to Promote Your Book

Post by Felnion »

Update:
After finding many minute grammatical errors in early april, I went through the manuscript with a fine toothed comb (figuratively speaking) and now I feel like I truly have a polished novel.
I have completed the revision of Belinae's Prophecy and will be resubmitting it for review on or around august 14th. After everything was said and done, over 11,000 words were added and nearly twice as many changed thoughout the entire novel.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”