"Shatter me" trilogy, Tahereh Mafi

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
jaxsteph
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: "Shatter me" trilogy, Tahereh Mafi

Post by jaxsteph »

I absolutely love this series; it's one of those book sets that I go back to from time to time when I am short on things to read. The supernatural abilities of the various characters are fun and imaginative, and Ms. Mafi does an incredible job of making you fall in love with each of them. I especially enjoyed the process of watching Juliet grow, as she learns to trust herself and let go of her self hate. I was intrigued and surprised by the relationship between her and Warner (who I went from hating to loving), and I could not get enough of their interactions. I also ached for Adam, but grew to agree with the author's choice to follow her characters into the relationship paths that they wanted to travel. Mafi's characters had amazing voices and presence; this is one of those series that leaves you checking her author page every month to see if something new is on the horizon. If you love superheroes, sci-fi, coming of age stories, or psychologically twisted romances this series is for you--read it; you won't be sorry!
Mbogue3
Currently Reading: The Choice
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbogue3.html

Post by Mbogue3 »

I also loved this series. I agree that I went from hating Warner to loving him. The books really showed us how Juliet learned about herself and grew into herself. I had a hard time putting these books down. BUT... I was very disappointed in the ending. I felt like there was so much build up to the war and then it was over too quickly.
Londera
Favorite Author: Lauren Oliver
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... elirium</a>
Currently Reading: World, Incorporated
Bookshelf Size: 391
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-londera.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2442

Post by Londera »

I reminds me of the Darkest Minds Series which is also about children with special abilities. I love both series. :D The books do keep you guessing for sure.

-- 16 Jul 2017, 18:44 --

One of my favourite YA series. I started this series a while ago and fell off. But, I have to get back to reading it.
DariaC
Currently Reading:

Post by DariaC »

Shatter Me trilogy (it’s not a trilogy anymore though because 2 more novels are already out) by Tahereh Mafi.
An emotional connection has been formed between the Shatter Me series and myself, having read the series a couple of years back.
Looking back at my highlighted quotes I understand why I was so obsessed with the book. The metaphors! Tahereh uses such a wide range of colours in her writing, it’s simply breathtaking. Or you could also say mind-shattering ;)
I’ve re-read these books a couple of times now. To be honest, if I were to start reading Shatter Me now, I wouldn’t finish it and wouldn’t like it. As I was re-reading the book, I couldn’t help but cringe at the first 10 to 20 pages. The first POV using present tense made me feel queasy. I believe that only the very experienced writers are able to pull a thing like this off.
One reason is to why I love these books so much (even though I can’t force myself to read the again) is because I absolutely love the characters (a little spoiler ahead):

Juliette (though sometimes she made me want to kill her with all the Adam drama), Kenji and my sweet little Aaron.

So, in these books I live for 3 things:
The metaphors, Kenji’s sarcasm and my sailing ship, and that’s all that matters.
Jsims9987
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Jsims9987 »

If you like romance, action, and supernatural beings, you'll love this series! A girl, Juliette, who has been shut out by society because of her powers, breaks through the hard life she has always lived. Powers that are deadly to the touch. Literally. Until one day she realizes she can be touched by this one person, Adam. Warner, a force of evil, trys to use her and her powers for total control. Until she breaks free of him and runs away. There's a twist, Warner can touch her too. (Shocker)!
Sara Mashal -

Post by Sara Mashal - »

This book will take thousand miles away , but won't bring you back !
I'm not scarring you but this book is so breathtaking.
You can read 100 pages and feel like you have read one page only !
The actions and events in this series move so fast , you may loose track of time while reading them but you won't loose track of them.
In the middle of the series you may find things that don't make sense to you , however you will come to understand everything as the events go on .
At the end of some books in this series Tahereh Mafi leaves on cliffhanger after a harsh plot twist , that makes you so enthusiastic about reading the next book !
Drama , romance , friendship , plot twist, hidden powers . You can find all of these concepts in this amazing series :D
Erth3r
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Erth3r »

I can not believe how amazing these books were! I could read the entire thing in a day and feel like I read for only a couple minutes. You can see throughout the book how much Julliette grows. Love these books!
Ashley-Osuna
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-osuna.html
Latest Review: The Pilgrim Bride by Pilar Cer&oacute;n Dur&aacute;n

Post by Ashley-Osuna »

I have only read the first book of this trilogy but I really liked it, so I am really happy to hear that the second one is even better. I was really drawn by the concept of this novel and I'm not going to lie, I am a little scared to read the other two. Since I have read that there is a love triangle, I just feel that I like where I left things off in the first book so I am just nervous that I might not like how things end up. Finally, I just want to say that I love Juliette, I think that she was very well written and I could very easily relate to her all the time and I appreciate that.
Ana paola

Post by Ana paola »

The shatter me series has nene one of the first fantasy books I have ever read, and let me tell you that I have absolutely loved them. The love of the author that has put into this characters is absolutely stunning, I love the romance, the drama, I just love everything, I couldn’t stop reading them and that cliffhanger at the end of the trilogy just makes you want to continue reading, I absolutely recomend
Rachel Kubus
Favorite Author: Richelle Mead
Currently Reading: Soundless
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-kubus.html
Latest Review: Acts of Hope by Martin Elsant
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 782

Post by Rachel Kubus »

I'm reading "Ignite Me" right now and I am loving Juliet's transformation from the fearful girl who hesitated a frustrating amount of times to a confident leader. I also really enjoyed the way Mafi made the actions of Warner seem justified rather than incredibly awful. I haven't seen many authors turn that around successfully. The character, Warner, really grows on you.
Jordan_G

Post by Jordan_G »

I absolutely loved these books they were a quick read and were very interesting and fast pasted.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”