Official Review: Vampire prince by Iris van Gorp

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
SidnayC
Favorite Book: I am yet to read a book worthy
Currently Reading: Inescapable by Amy Bartol
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sidnayc.html
Latest Review: "Vampire prince" by Iris van Gorp

Official Review: Vampire prince by Iris van Gorp

Post by SidnayC »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Vampire prince" by Iris van Gorp.]
Book Cover for 2366
Share This Review

Vampire Prince takes readers on a journey into the lives of humans, vampires, vampire hunters and carriers. When Noa's sister is savagely attacked and we learn of Daemon's loved one perishing mercilessly at the hands of vampires, Noa and Daemon soon join forces to try and avenge their loved ones and put an end to the vampire devastation that continues to sweep town to town. But when Noa falls hopelessly for and puts all her faith in the beautiful but cunning vampire Meteor, only more chaos and more destruction is sure to follow.

Vampire Prince is a riveting tale that plunges to the depths of the current vampire phenomenon. Notably the story possessed such a unique and highly explosive take on such phenomenon that I continued to be filled with a wealth of different emotions as I read every page. I was grateful that, unlike most vampire fiction, this story didn't feature the 'perfect' good-natured vampire as the main male protagonist. Instead it showed a darker and more depressing side to vampires which I thoroughly enjoyed. The pace of the novel, I felt could have been sped up in parts to better grip readers even more, as the length of this book was just too long to allow for one to garner a concise picture of this story in their head. Subsequently the story seemed never-ending, and thus reader's attention may begin to wane, when reading the POV of particularly less interesting protagonists. I am still on the fence as to whether or not I enjoyed this 'free for all' whereby the author allowed for the story to be told from nearly every character's POV in the story. I suppose it did give us readers more insight into secondary characters and their purpose in the story, however at times it became incredibly confusing and I found myself itching to skip over the POV's of people that weren't really focal to the story.

Nevertheless I appreciated the well-thought out plot-line of this novel and the intricate and detailed way that characters, particularly Daemon and her back-story were delved into. I also thought it clever the way that the author, through Daemon, ridiculed the vampire phenomenon in contemporary popular culture and worked it into this present vampire plot line. It seemingly gave the story a level of sophisticated irony. Furthermore, although I was impressed with the level of complexity of Daemon's character, I felt that Noa, on the other hand, lacked substance and was just a mediocre heroine. Her relationship with Meteor is what made her interesting rather than her being interesting herself. The stark difference in the levels of profundity that went into these two female protagonists, very much channeled how I felt about the author's writing style overall, because a wealth of depth was added to the story in some parts but was holistically lacking in other parts. I also found it frustrating the way that the author would concern herself with writing about one particular highly interesting event and then right in the middle of telling this story, would get carried away by telling someone's long-winded back-story that had nothing to do with the interesting event.

But what made this book truly epic for me was the character of Meteor. He was by far my favorite character throughout the whole story. I was highly fascinated by him as a person and the relationships he built with Noa and his brother. Additionally the new developments, and twists that surrounded his character were so well written and filled with so many shocking moments that whenever I was reading from his POV, I found myself being hopelessly sucked in page by page. He was just so mesmerizing and his actions were always so unexpected, that he literally blew me away and I could never get enough of reading about him, his dark and destructive nature and alternatively his more vulnerable side.

Overall the author's writing style was inspiring. She managed to get the balance between romance, the supernatural, comedy, mystery and action so perfectly right that her writing continued to blow my mind as I got deeper and deeper into this story. However there was one major flaw in this book that stopped it from being one of the greatest books I have read in a while. That flaw was the blatant grammatical errors and poor editing of this book. Already from the first few pages, I managed to spot a steady stream of grammatical errors, spelling mistakes and inaccurate wording and meanings which continued to take away from my enjoyment in reading this story. I could have tolerated such mistakes appearing once or twice in a chapter, but the fact that such mistakes were on every page and more or less in every sentence, was somewhat ridiculous. It became clear that the author didn't have a clear grasp on the English language when writing this novel due to the continuous inaccurate wording used. She would write things like 'starving to dead' instead of 'starving to death' and 'sexual active' instead of 'sexually active'. These mistakes became a common fixture throughout the novel and a big disappointment to read.

Having taken into account the traces of brilliant writing that was dotted throughout this novel, the promising development of the story and the mind-blowing character of Meteor, I give this book a 3 out of 4 stars. There is no doubt in my mind that this book was a truly divine piece of writing. However the excruciating grammatical errors and poor editing of this book wholly let this book down for me, which is why I am unable to give it full marks.

Buy "Vampire prince" on Amazon
There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you - Maya Angelou
Topaascat
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Topaascat »

Sydnay;

I have trully enjoyed your review and am delighted you liked the story. For the grammtical mistakes... I am afraid I have to agree. I reread the whole story (after leaving it alone for 5 months) and was devistated to notice the many mistakes. I have therefore corrected all mistakes I found in my book and am currently uploading them to the final story. I also skipped some parts to make the pace faster as you sugested. Thank you so much for you time and effort, you helped me make it a better book.
SidnayC
Favorite Book: I am yet to read a book worthy
Currently Reading: Inescapable by Amy Bartol
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sidnayc.html

Post by SidnayC »

Topaascat wrote:Sydnay;

I have trully enjoyed your review and am delighted you liked the story. For the grammtical mistakes... I am afraid I have to agree. I reread the whole story (after leaving it alone for 5 months) and was devistated to notice the many mistakes. I have therefore corrected all mistakes I found in my book and am currently uploading them to the final story. I also skipped some parts to make the pace faster as you sugested. Thank you so much for you time and effort, you helped me make it a better book.
I am so honored that you have taken my advice on board. Like I said it was a great story and I think that once those grammatical mistakes have been corrected, this book really has the potential to go far and wow a lot of people.

May I suggest that after you finish editing, you also enlist a professional editor to really go through the entire book and correct any errors you may have missed or not picked up on from start to finish :) I think it will be a great investment.
There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you - Maya Angelou

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”