Official Review: Colin Frake, On Fire Mountain

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
thankyou
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thankyou.html
Latest Review: "Colin Frake, On Fire Mountain" by Nick Phoenix and Two Steps From Hell

Official Review: Colin Frake, On Fire Mountain

Post by thankyou »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Colin Frake, On Fire Mountain" by Nick Phoenix and Two Steps From Hell.]
Book Cover for 2141
Share This Review

'Colin Frake, On Fire Mountain' by Nick Phoenix and Two Steps From Hell is an illustrated action fantasy novel. It is the first book of an ongoing series of enhanced ebooks. The ebook includes soundtracks in selected parts of the book, to further enhance the reading experience.

Fire Mountain is a mystical, mostly evil, land in the world of Reanne. It is an oddity in an otherwise mostly harmless and peaceful world. When food supplies are short in the fire mountain, its clan raids the towns in the valleys and steals their supplies. Vigerock is one such town that was raided by the fire mountain clan five years ago, resulting in destruction and a number of casualties in the town. Colin Frake, a victim of this attack, was a young boy of ten when his parents perished in the attack. He was then raised by the town's priest affectionately called Pagan Roger.

It all starts when Colin and his friend Petunia go to the forest for hunting. There they come across an odd pack of pigs that seemed to be cooperatively focused on something, silently but steadily making their way through the forest. Colin and Petunia were puzzled, but they left the matter after a while. Little did they know that this incident was more important than they had ever imagined. It is this very incident that would later develop into three important intertwining tales - the Master of Fire, the Mighty Giant, and the Seekers. Colin has an important part to play in these tales, which would forever change the future of Reanne and its people.

From the first page, 'Colin Frake On Fire Mountain' is fascinating. It is well written and interesting to read. I also liked the theme and the way the plot comes up and things develop. The characters are all well-defined. The plot is enthralling and flows logically, and keeps you wanting more. The writing style is clear and to the point. The characters, especially the main characters, are totally relatable. The language used, which is simple and easy to understand, is very effective and apt and captures the important parts nicely. The soundtracks are most appropriately placed at the right places, so they create the perfect atmosphere and make the book come alive to the readers. Most importantly, the story itself is engrossing. The book ends with one hell of a cliff hanger, which keeps me eagerly waiting for the next book in the series. There were no major grammatical or punctuation errors which affected the reading experience.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars as it has action, mystery, magic - in short, everything you can expect from a fantasy novel. I strongly recommend it to all young action and fantasy book lovers.

Buy "Colin Frake, On Fire Mountain" on Amazon
Latest Review: "Colin Frake, On Fire Mountain" by Nick Phoenix and Two Steps From Hell
shiningstar99
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by shiningstar99 »

Looks like I have to give this book a try!
thankyou

Post by thankyou »

Definitely do! You won't regret it!!
neropanda

Post by neropanda »

I love TSFH. It's one of my favourite music groups. But when I found out about Colin Frake, I wasn't sure if I was going to check it out because...well, I wasn't sure how "on-par" the book would be considering the fact that...well, they're not exactly known for writing books lol. After reading your book review though, I can't wait to read it! Definitely going to buy this one soon. I wonder how soon the next book will be coming out.
thankyou

Post by thankyou »

neropanda wrote:I love TSFH. It's one of my favourite music groups. But when I found out about Colin Frake, I wasn't sure if I was going to check it out because...well, I wasn't sure how "on-par" the book would be considering the fact that...well, they're not exactly known for writing books lol. After reading your book review though, I can't wait to read it! Definitely going to buy this one soon. I wonder how soon the next book will be coming out.
I was exactly in the same position as you initially. But once I decided to try it out, I didn't regret it. And I'm sure you won't too!
By the way, it would be additionally beneficial if you could read it with the corresponding soundtracks as well. Of course, you can read just the ebook alone in epub format, but I read it with the soundtracks and I definitely noticed the difference. Just my suggestion though.
neropanda

Post by neropanda »

thankyou wrote:
I was exactly in the same position as you initially. But once I decided to try it out, I didn't regret it. And I'm sure you won't too!
By the way, it would be additionally beneficial if you could read it with the corresponding soundtracks as well. Of course, you can read just the ebook alone in epub format, but I read it with the soundtracks and I definitely noticed the difference. Just my suggestion though.
For sure!
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

Wow, this sounds like an awesome reading experience! I love the idea for an accompanying soundtrack to a book--I wonder if this is something that will become mainstream?
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
thankyou

Post by thankyou »

LivreAmour217 wrote:Wow, this sounds like an awesome reading experience! I love the idea for an accompanying soundtrack to a book--I wonder if this is something that will become mainstream?
Yeah, you're right. This was the first time I too ever heard of something like this, and frankly, it was a whole new experience.
Oh, and it's a new idea that might actually become mainstream in the future. But still, you can never really predict what kind of stuff become mainstream, right??!! :)
shiningstar99

Post by shiningstar99 »

Thanks for the review.
thankyou

Post by thankyou »

You're welcome.
TrishaAnn92
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

Sounds like a good book! The soundtracks at certain parts is intriguing and I think thst alone would be enough to make me want to give it a try.
thankyou

Post by thankyou »

Yeah, do try it out. It would be a completely new experience.
kio
Favorite Author: Janet Evanovich
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... vermore</a>
Bookshelf Size: 532
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kio.html
Latest Review: "A Twist of Fate" by Mark W. Johnson
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 2658

Post by kio »

sounds interesting. I don't know what to think about the soundtracks, but after reading your review about it, I think I'll gibe it a try.
"Books are unique portable magic."-Stephen King
Latest Review: "A Twist of Fate" by Mark W. Johnson
thankyou

Post by thankyou »

Sure. It's a new and interesting concept, so I think you should try it out.
vadadagon
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: Harry Potter series
Currently Reading: Emma
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vadadagon.html
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by vadadagon »

Sorry I realize you reviewed this a little while ago.

I just joined so excuse me if my question is dumb but I went to the page and all I could find is Music. I also did a search for the title of the Book and couldn't find anything anywhere that I could buy (ebook or otherwise) that was a book (only the music).

Is the Author Colin Frake or is that the Author of the Music? I also searched for Nick Phoenix as well as Two Steps from Hell separately and I come up with only music. I'm highly confused.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”