Official Review: Zedgur by A. E. Nienow

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ttuso22
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ttuso22.html
Latest Review: The Immigrant's Lament by Mois benarroch
fav_author_id: 1778

Official Review: Zedgur by A. E. Nienow

Post by ttuso22 »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Zedgur" by A. E. Nienow.]
Book Cover for 2349
Share This Review

A reader often must ask if it is worth it to read a new book or to read an old favorite. For after all, we can only read so many of them within our lifetime. Is it more worth it to risk finding new favorite stories or to simply revel in the enjoyment of the ones we have always loved? I dare to say we should risk it. For though we may end up in disappointment a majority of the time, the beauty of reading rests in this idea of exploring. Through books we investigate unsolvable crimes, we dive into undiscovered territories, and unearth mounds of treasure that we could never have attained in the real world. As we read new books we explore parts of our imagination we never could have conceived without an author’s direction. Thus, bringing me to wandering upon Zedgur; a story I would never have imagined, but one equally as inviting as it were a dream I had many years ago.

Zedgur starts out with a female character named Alice Winters. However, this is no ordinary character and she does not live in an ordinary world that we find ourselves in. Alice is a stubborn private detective (though, she tends to forget the "private part"), previously enlisted in the Martian Military. She currently resides on the northern hemisphere of Mars, but it is not before long that the world she thought she once knew would be torn out from under her. When individuals, who seek her help, take her captive, she is given a mission that will unveil the sinister politics that corrupt the interstellar society.

With Alice’s sassy accomplice, Marigold, in the picture, the mission ensues as they travel to the planet of Zedgur to uncover the truth about a scandal concerning the Trade Minister Bishop’s daughter, Samantha. As the heat of a Treaty Ceremony arises, however, Alice must be discrete in how she exposes evidence to prove or disprove the allegations for certain crimes. If she is not careful, the news could interfere and cause trouble with her, to the detriment of her employer. Along the way she confronts various races, from robots to humans and from feline beings to lizard-like people. She befriends a few throughout the story, including a mechanid named Nix and an aqua man named Ezer who help her as she pursues the answers that she knows deep down must be unveiled. Topics of racism, politics, morality, and others flood this unique story, transforming it into a brilliantly crafted novel.

What I loved about this book was the author’s style of writing. Nienow didn’t necessarily explain certain aspects about the setting, but elaborated on them. Sometimes it reminded me of the distracted narrative in "The Hitchhiker’s Guide To The Galaxy", but more instructive than humorous. This book was brilliantly imagined. Going farther than the comfortableness of our planet Earth, Nienow explores space in a tangible way. Though we may never experience the true pleasures of the galaxy, the author describes with detail to give you the impression that you are among those that live off of earth. At times, it also reminded me of Ender’s Game in the world creation sense and Speaker of the Dead in the philosophical sense. Both being great books, is a huge compliment to Zedgur as a new novel.

What I didn’t like about this book was that once or twice the author would take away the suspense by having a character reveal what would happen before something dramatic occurred. Also, Marigold’s character was kind of an unnecessary addition. Even though she had some role at the end, her character could have been more developed. Other than that, the story was pretty good. The grammar was well edited and the flow consistency and creativity of the book were well planned out. The only thing I wish the author had done was prolonged the story. There could have been a lengthier investigation and perhaps more anecdotes to increase the anticipation of the story. Otherwise it was a great story that I do not regret reading. Perhaps that gives the author a reason to make a series out of Alice Winter.

I rate this book a 4 out of 4 stars. I give it nothing less than a four because as a writer, Nienow commands diction and grammar artistically and masterfully. This author shows proper skills with the arrangement of phrases and exhibits fine writing skills in creating an original science fiction story. Though this story could have improved in some aspects (what book can’t?), it was well written and a great story for anyone who enjoys the thrilling suspense of crime or who desires to explore the unknown universe through an author’s eyes! This book leaves you with as much suspense as the first scene! I would read it again and would definitely be interested in reading sequels. If you enjoy a good science fiction adventure, make sure to check this one out!

Buy "Zedgur" on Amazon
If there’s a book you really want to read but it hasn’t been written yet, then you must write it. ~Toni Morrison
jcheiser
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jcheiser.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks

Post by jcheiser »

This sounds very interesting! I once took a lit class that focused on science fiction and horror, and from the description, it sounds similar to the sci fi books we read in that class (though, possibly, with a modern take, considering most of the books we studied had been at least a decade old at the time). It looks like I need to add this to my reading list!
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
ttuso22
Currently Reading:

Post by ttuso22 »

It is definitely an interesting read! Kind of a quick story, but it's good.
If there’s a book you really want to read but it hasn’t been written yet, then you must write it. ~Toni Morrison
amybo82
Favorite Author: David Sedaris
Favorite Book: cannot pick just one
Currently Reading: Calypso
Bookshelf Size: 1517
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amybo82.html
Latest Review: The Adventures of The Gorilla Billies by Mark J Stopford
Reading Device: B00TA9FD2M
Publishing Contest Votes: 17
fav_author_id: 2790

Post by amybo82 »

This is a great review! I agree with you--I will always choose to read a new book than re-read an old, familiar one! I'd rather read something new, even if I don't like it. Zedgur sounds like an interesting book. Definitely worth a shot!
A book is a dream that you hold in your hand. –Neil Gaiman
ttuso22
Currently Reading:

Post by ttuso22 »

Thank you for your kind words. I hope you enjoy the book!
HiremeNow
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by HiremeNow »

:D Very amazed by the author, he or she uses good details in a lot of action thoses are the most fun books .
telena6969

Post by telena6969 »

I normally do not read books of this nature. They are not my cup of tea. After reading the review I decided to download it anyway. It does sound interesting and maybe this book will give me a new perspective.
shelley_soetosenojo
Favorite Author: Nora Roberts
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 21940">the fiery cross</a>
Currently Reading: A Taste of Seduction
Bookshelf Size: 139
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shelley-soetosenojo.html
Latest Review: "Love Built to Last" by Lisa Ricard Claro
Reading Device: B0716S5G56
fav_author_id: 3258

Post by shelley_soetosenojo »

Thank you for a very clear review. The style of writing of the author made me interested to read the story. Another book for my to read list.
Latest Review: "Love Built to Last" by Lisa Ricard Claro
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I loved the "The Hitchhiker’s Guide To The Galaxy", so probably will enjoy this one. I downloaded the book and will read it in due time. :)

Congratulations to the author on the great review, and for his book being the Book of the Day! :tiphat:
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
signed
Bookshelf Size: 41

Post by signed »

Can't wait to read!
cursillo86
Bookshelf Size: 229
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cursillo86.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by cursillo86 »

Sharp, detailed review! What gets my attention is " I give it nothing less than a four because as a writer, Nienow commands diction and grammar artistically and masterfully. This author shows proper skills with the arrangement of phrases and exhibits fine writing skills in creating an original science fiction story." Sadly, this talent is not always displayed by many authors. For me, much of the enjoyment of a book derives from the richness of the construction and skill with grammar.
Rachaelamb1
Favorite Author: CS Lewis
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... onwitch</a>
Currently Reading: Falling Star
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachaelamb1.html
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco

Post by Rachaelamb1 »

Very nice review! I love that the author writes in an artistic manner. I've downloaded the book and look forward to reading it!
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco
bluemel4
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Anne Bishop
Currently Reading: The Dark Tower, Books 1-3
Bookshelf Size: 466
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluemel4.html
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 6086

Post by bluemel4 »

Very insightful and interesting review. This story sounds like science fiction at its best. I love that the author manages to simulate the feeling of being a true Mars resident.
"Life is a journey, not a destination" --Ralph Waldo Emerson
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
gaporter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gaporter.html
Latest Review: Lives of Museum Junkies by Marilynne Eichinger
Reading Device: B0051VVOB2

Post by gaporter »

I've downloaded the book, your review sounds fantastic! I liked Ender's Game and Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy as a kid!
StainedGlassTiger3

Post by StainedGlassTiger3 »

Thank you for saying what you didn't like about the book. I always like it better when people give more than one side of the story (no bad pun intended.)

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”