[Book Review] The 100 Series by Kass Morgan

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
reginabally
Currently Reading: A Discovery of Witches
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reginabally.html
Latest Review: "Death Takes A Lover" by Olivier Bosman

[Book Review] The 100 Series by Kass Morgan

Post by reginabally »

The 100 (The Hundred #1) by Kass Morgan: 3 / 5 stars.

This ARC is obtained from NetGalley for free in exchange of honest review.

The 100 is a post-apocalyptic story about 100 juvenile delinquents being sent back to Earth after it has been toxified by a nuclear war since 300 years ago. Their mission is to survive on Earth so that human race can move back to Earth for living.

During that time, humans are living at some spaceships at the outer space. As far as I remember, there are three spaceships (Phoenix, Arcadia and Walden) with guards at each of the boundaries. The richest colony is the Phoenix where as Arcadia and Walden are poorer district with some issues like water rationing.

The story is narrated in third-party POV but one character will be concentrated in each of the chapters. At first it'll be a bit confusing but after that I start to appreciate the author's arrangement because I'm able to have clearer picture on their own stories of each of the characters like why they became criminals and what are their relationships with the other main characters.

Even though the book is about how the 100 teens survive on the Earth, but most of the time I'm not aware on what happened to the rest of them (apart from the main characters). The story could be richer with more interactions among the survivors and I hope to see this in the sequel.

In overall, I enjoyed reading the story even though there are more romance and kissing than necessary (in my opinion).

-- 06 Oct 2014, 16:25 --

Day 21 (The Hundred #2) by Kass Morgan: 4 / 5 stars.

The ARC is obtained from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Day 21 is the sequel of The 100 by Kass Morgan. The story of the series is about 100 teens are sent back to the Earth from their spaceships as test subjects on whether they can survive living there after a disastrous nuclear war happened 300 years ago which believed to have killed every single one on it.

It's been 21 days since the hundred has landed on the Earth. So far no signs of disease caused by radiation yet but seems like they are not alone. Apart from the two-headed deer (mutated animals) they found on Earth, someone is out there spying on them and killed one of the hundred. Who are they? Are they Earthborns living since the catastrophic incident happened 300 years ago? What is the purpose of the killing?

The writing is arranged in the same way as the prequel - third-person POV, alternating four main characters in the chapters and with some flashbacks on what happened in the past before they're sent down to the Earth. Some of the flashbacks are quite dull and I think unnecessary to just bring out some plot at the later part of the book. I'm actually skipping some of them when I read through the chapters.

I like most of the main characters in the story with Wells being righteous, Clarke being smart and skilled in medics, Bellamy being brave and Glass being self-sacrificing. The author should be praised in putting them into the story to make it become richer and more interesting to read.

After The 100 ended with a suspense, this book goes on with adding more details to the little pieces of information brought out from the prequel which is quite smoothly. But again, the romantic relationships among the characters are a bit illogical to me. The romance in both The 100 and this book doesn't impress me at all. I would prefer the author puts her effort in writing more actions or exciting events in the story.

But in overall, I do think this book is a better read than the prequel and yes, another cliffhanger at the end of the book! Can't wait for the 3rd book and I hope I'm able to read the ARC soon on NetGalley.

Originally posted on Goodreads
A SAHM who reads and shares reviews on her blog.
Latest Review: "Death Takes A Lover" by Olivier Bosman

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”