Cal Leandros series by Rob Thurman review w/spoilers

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Cal Leandros series by Rob Thurman review w/spoilers

Post by Gravy »

“There are monsters among us. There always have been and there always will be. I’ve known that ever since I can remember, just like I’ve always known I was one…
…Well, half of one, anyway.”

Cal Leandros has always been a little off...well, half auphe to be exact.
Born to a mother who sold her reproductive abilty to something nowhere near human, Cal (short for Caliban) has only ever had his older brother Niko to look after him.
Codependency would be putting it lightly.
Upon their mothers untimely (though not undeserved) death the brothers leave the last in a long line of gullible small towns and head to, where else, New York City.
After arriving they meet Robin Goodfellow, used car salesman extraordinaire.
Goodfellow is a lecherous sort but in the very best way.
As the brothers learn the truth of what exactly has been following them around the country all these years they discover that the nightmares from your childhood are only the tip of the supernatural iceberg.
Mummies who make pet mummy cats for fun, a boggle in central park, trolls really do live under bridges, and the truth behind the angel myth.
Even Goodfellow is a trickster puck with a heart of gold, though surely he'd swear it was another organ entirely.
A werewolf mob, a genocidal race which birthed the elf myth, and two brothers who would die for each other, what else could you ask for?

This series is absolutely one of my favorites. Cal is snark incarnate, Goodfellow is the best friend you could ask for (so long as you don't mind nudity), and Niko is the gypsy ninja (in my opinion).
The twists in this series keep me guessing from one page to the next.
It has some truly creepy moments and some excruciatingly heart-breaking moments.
I honestly can't think of a fault in these books. I may be blinded by my love of these characters though.
There is (alot!) of cursing. Cal has himself a potty mouth.
The younger/older brother dynamic feels believable, and Goodfellow fits like a glove into the hole they didn't even know was there.
To put it simply, if you like the tv show Supernatural, you'll like this series. The brothers have the same flavor.
Both sets are suicidal in their efforts to protect each other.
I love the similarities.
I also love the differences, Niko is NOT a ladies man, Cal is far more excepting of his dark side, ect...
This series is amazing!
I could go on and on about what I love about this series, and these characters, but instead I'll just suggest you put these books on your TBR list as soon as possible.
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”