Favorite Fantasy Series

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
HannahGibson
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannahgibson.html

Favorite Fantasy Series

Post by HannahGibson »

I recently concluded Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time Series, and I loved it. Does anyone have any suggestions about a new series to begin, one similar to this one?
chongjasmine

Post by chongjasmine »

My favourite series is wheel of time series.
You can try a song of ice and fire by George r.r martin, sword of truth series by terry goodkind and the stormlight archive by brandon sanderson.
HannahGibson
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannahgibson.html

Post by HannahGibson »

I have tried song of Ice and Fire (I cannot wait for Winds of Winter), Sword of Truth series is also good, and you may like Patrick Rothfuss if you enjoy this certain type of storyline. I will definitely have to check out Stormlight Archive, I think Brandon Sanderson did an excellent job of finishing up the wheel of time series.
chongjasmine

Post by chongjasmine »

[quote="HannahGibson"]I have tried song of Ice and Fire (I cannot wait for Winds of Winter), Sword of Truth series is also good, and you may like Patrick Rothfuss if you enjoy this certain type of storyline. I will definitely have to check out Stormlight Archive, I think Brandon Sanderson did an excellent job of finishing up the wheel of time series.[/quote]

Thanks for the patrick recommendation.
It is in my to read list.
Neyra
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-neyra.html

Post by Neyra »

A song of Ice and Fire from G.R.R.Martin and The Chronicles of Amber from Roger Zelazny
JRosedale10
Currently Reading: TUCK

Post by JRosedale10 »

Harry Potter by far, but not long after comes the Time Quintet, then A Series of Unfortunate Events (not sure if that's exactly fantasy, but it certainly doesn't take place in this reality), and The Name of the Wind.
TextOfLex
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-textoflex.html

Post by TextOfLex »

HannahGibson wrote:I recently concluded Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time Series, and I loved it. Does anyone have any suggestions about a new series to begin, one similar to this one?
Have you read the Mistborn series by Brandon Sanderson?
beautyspin
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beautyspin.html

Post by beautyspin »

Hi - I am new to this forum but couldn't resist joining this discussion. I got acquainted with Brandon Sanderson when he finished the WOT series. I really liked WOT but was not sure if Brandon could do justice to it. He did well but I was not satisfied with the ending as it looked like a damp squib. (probably not his fault). Then I came across the "The Emperor's Soul". I was really blown away. trust me. It was a very good book and it still keeps tugging at the heart even after so many days. The caveat is that, if you read one book of his, then he more or less follows a same style (in the sense that all have elaborate magic systems) and some of the plot devices are similar but still he is a very good story teller.

Patrick Rotfuss's King Killers Chronicles is another one that is really good.
That is my two pennies worth..
Batesblogger
Favorite Author: Tamora Pierce
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading: Titans Curse
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-batesblogger.html
Latest Review: "Broken (I Live To Let You Shine)" by Kimmy Downing
fav_author_id: 3492

Post by Batesblogger »

It is a preteen age series but I absolutely love it. Tamora Pierce's novels set in Tortall, and her magic circle series. They are always starring very strong females and I think are fantastic for young girls to read. And as an adult they are easy fast reads. Been re-reading the series since I was 13 and still not tired of it.

A close second would definitely have to be the dragons of pern. Changed a bit after her son took over but they are still fantastic.
Latest Review: "Broken (I Live To Let You Shine)" by Kimmy Downing
beautyspin
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beautyspin.html

Post by beautyspin »

HannahGibson wrote:I recently concluded Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time Series, and I loved it. Does anyone have any suggestions about a new series to begin, one similar to this one?
The Stormlight Archive by Brandon Sanderson looks promising. It is also supposed to be 10 volumes and currently only two volumes are out (The Way of the kings and Words of Radiance). Both are fantastic. He outs one volume every two years (or there abouts) so it will be another 10 to fifteen years by the time the 10th book comes out. If you can wait for so long between the books, I am guessing this will be a good series to follow.
motherreader

Post by motherreader »

I recently finished Lichgates Book 1 of the Grimoire Saga by S. M. Boyce.
It was really entertaining!! I can not wait until I can read the rest of the series. I could not put my phone down. I went through the book in 3 days although if I didn't have any distractions it would have been read in the same day that's how good it was. A must read!! I would love if this was made into a movie, it should be.
sahara

Post by sahara »

Carol Berg is a fantastic fantasy writer. Her book series are no where near the length of The Wheel of Time, but they are fantastic. My favorite series of hers is The Lighthouse Duet, but honestly I love everything she writes.
Willreadsformoney
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-willreadsformoney.html

Post by Willreadsformoney »

percy jackson
Roanhu
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roanhu.html

Post by Roanhu »

I very much enjoy both The Grey Griffon series and Joust. It would be hard to choose a favorite.
Sarita Everson
Currently Reading: Lover Unbound
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarita-everson.html

Post by Sarita Everson »

Terry Goodkind - The sword of truth. I actually watches the TV series as well. Love love love

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”