Fae, Fay, Fey, Faeries, Fairies, Sidhe?

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
mui-scrimp
Favorite Book: This question is impossible
Currently Reading: The Red Queen
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mui-scrimp.html

Re: Fae, Fay, Fey, Faeries, Fairies, Sidhe?

Post by mui-scrimp »

Faerie books:
13 treasures
13 secrets
13 curses
All three books are by Michelle Harrison. They're juvenile fantasy, so naturally not the most challenging read, but lots of fun! It puts fae legend with modern life.

-- 24 Sep 2014, 23:30 --

Faerie books:
13 treasures
13 secrets
13 curses
All three books are by Michelle Harrison. They're juvenile fantasy, so naturally not the most challenging read, but lots of fun! It puts fae legend with modern life.

-- 24 Sep 2014, 23:31 --

Oops, sorry, hit the wrong button...
Flu2reader
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-flu2reader.html

Post by Flu2reader »

anyone read the tithe series by holly black (ya) they are brilliant and so is the age of misrule series by mark chadbourne but that shows a really different (at least for me) side of the sidhe
Norma_Rudolph
Favorite Author: Mary Stewart
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =4245">The Gift of Lies</a>
Currently Reading: Enchantment
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-norma-rudolph.html
Latest Review: "Desolate" by Stephanie Binding
fav_author_id: 10582

Post by Norma_Rudolph »

Mercedes Lackey wrote one called Fairy Godmother I believe, but it leans more toward a romance/fairy tale, if that interests you.
Latest Review: "Desolate" by Stephanie Binding
amybo82
Favorite Author: David Sedaris
Favorite Book: cannot pick just one
Currently Reading: Calypso
Bookshelf Size: 1517
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amybo82.html
Latest Review: The Adventures of The Gorilla Billies by Mark J Stopford
Reading Device: B00TA9FD2M
Publishing Contest Votes: 17
fav_author_id: 2790

Post by amybo82 »

I really enjoyed the Artemis Fowl series by Eoin Colfer. These books are full of all types of fairies, gnomes, trolls, and other wee folk!
A book is a dream that you hold in your hand. –Neil Gaiman
H0LD0Nthere
Favorite Book: Til We Have Faces by C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-h0ld0nthere.html
Latest Review: "Adventures in space & fiction fantasy" by Robin G Howard

Post by H0LD0Nthere »

I am interested in the topic but have not read much on it, unlike others on this thread.

I did recently read Home From The Sea by Mercedes Lackey, which deals with the sea people (Selch) who, according to legend, live off the coast of Wales. It was clear Lackey did a lot of research. I loved how she started us with just an immersion in the culture of a Welsh fishing village and very slowly, intriguingly blended it until we were reading about water spirits and Selch. Apparently, the book was one of a series by Lackey called the Elemental Masters. I haven't read the others.

I like The Dark Is Rising series, but it is not about fairies, more about deathless immortals. However, it does lean heavily on pagan traditions from the British Isles.

As you probably know, William Butler Yeats, the Irish writer, was interested in fairies and I believe he published at least one collection of folklore related to them.

Then there is the Midsummer Night's Dream, which features fairies (Oberon and Titania) as human-sized, dangerously powerful and capricious creatures.

Finally, I came across an amazing book called Another Kingdom (by Paul Kearney I think) in which a teenaged boy gets pulled through a sort of portal into the parallel, very dark and dangerous, land of fey. I can't unqualifiedly recommend it, because I never got to finish it, but I assume it was good all the way through to the end.
Latest Review: "Adventures in space & fiction fantasy" by Robin G Howard
onourporch
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onourporch.html
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare
Publishing Contest Votes: 10

Post by onourporch »

The Harry Dresden Files by Jim Butcher are great. The main character is a wizard but the fae, sidhe, etc. are always involved in the stories. I'm not sure how many stories are in the series but they are addictive. Harry Dresden is the wizard trying to make a living from his supernatural gifts in a "normal" world as a Professional Wizard, as stated on his office door. Very entertaining.
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare
lovebooks2read
Currently Reading: Raintree: Sanctuary
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lovebooks2read.html

Post by lovebooks2read »

Well there are two series that I really enjoy reading overall:

The Iron Fae series ~ Julie Kagawa

Meredith Gentry series~Laurell K. Hamilton

Both are really great reads. The Iron Fae series is more a Young Adult. Laurell K. Hamiltons books are not for the faint of heart, if you don't like alot of steamy sex and adventure then this is not the series for you!!!! She is just so awesome!!!!!
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

mui-scrimp wrote:Faerie books:
13 treasures
13 secrets
13 curses
I just picked up the first book :D
lovebooks2read wrote:Well there are two series that I really enjoy reading overall:

The Iron Fae series ~ Julie Kagawa

Meredith Gentry series~Laurell K. Hamilton

Both are really great reads. The Iron Fae series is more a Young Adult. Laurell K. Hamiltons books are not for the faint of heart, if you don't like alot of steamy sex and adventure then this is not the series for you!!!! She is just so awesome!!!!!
I second these!
Have you read Laurell's Anita Blake series?
onourporch wrote:The Harry Dresden Files by Jim Butcher are great. The main character is a wizard but the fae, sidhe, etc. are always involved in the stories. I'm not sure how many stories are in the series but they are addictive. Harry Dresden is the wizard trying to make a living from his supernatural gifts in a "normal" world as a Professional Wizard, as stated on his office door. Very entertaining.
I second this one as well :mrgreen:
I love Toot Toot!
And Butters!
I always say...everything's better with Butters!
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
MMacAllen

Post by MMacAllen »

Hi There!

I don't like the Fae specifically, but I think you will enjoy Karen Marie Moning's Fever Series, beginning with DarkFever. It explores some Celtic lore, and tells a really interesting story about the Fae (Seelie).
I LOVED the series, and I have re-read the series twice.

Hope you enjoy. :)
Bwoodby4405

Post by Bwoodby4405 »

The Fever series by Karen Marie Morning is my favorite fae series! You should check it out!
SharisseEM
Favorite Author: Mia Sheridan
Favorite Book: Stinger
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharisseem.html
Latest Review: "The Bonding" by Imogen Keeper
fav_author_id: 3312

Post by SharisseEM »

I also forgot to list Melissa Marr's Wicked Lovely series.
She came the closest to what I really want.
I love the thought of dark faery tales.
Far truer to the original mythology.
I liked the Wicked Lovely series too! Especially the fourth book, Radiant Shadows, which is Devlin and Ani's book. It's a great book and unexpectedly complex and engaging. Love it!
“I don't suffer from my insanity -- I enjoy every minute of it.”
Latest Review: "The Bonding" by Imogen Keeper
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

When am I going to look to STOP looking at this thread. I am just torturing myself.

Okay, seriously! Someone slap me the next time I look here. I promised myself I wouldn't get any new books until I am down to 2 pages of unread books on my Kindle. i have to read 17 more books to make it that far! So no more looking at this thread for 17 more books of reading.

I should probably go read now.
RussetDivinity
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-russetdivinity.html
Latest Review: "Heart of Flint" by Scott Stricklen

Post by RussetDivinity »

Someone above mentioned Mercedes Lackey's Elemental Masters series, and I'd just like to say that the other books are also good (I haven't read all of them, but the ones I have read I enjoyed). I'm also glad someone mentioned Tithe, because it's easily one of my favorite books about the fey. The Spiderwick Chronicles, also by Holly Black, are amazing as well. Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell has excellent fey in it and is easily one of my favorite books.
Latest Review: "Heart of Flint" by Scott Stricklen
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

ALynnPowers wrote:When am I going to look to STOP looking at this thread. I am just torturing myself.

Okay, seriously! Someone slap me the next time I look here. I promised myself I wouldn't get any new books until I am down to 2 pages of unread books on my Kindle. i have to read 17 more books to make it that far! So no more looking at this thread for 17 more books of reading.

I should probably go read now.
Are you reading right now?
:lol: :wink:

Can't remember if I listed it but The Shadow Reader trilogy by Sandy Williams is an interesting take on the fae.
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
lovebooks2read
Currently Reading: Raintree: Sanctuary
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lovebooks2read.html

Post by lovebooks2read »

You have definitely got to read the Meredith Gentry series by Laurell K. Hamilton. HOT!!!!!!!!!!!! Her books include all of the different Fae's. Light to Dark and all of the intrigue and craziness that comes with the court. :) If you haven't dived into this series, please do!

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”