Official Review: Time is the Water in Which We Swim

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
lnygaard
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lnygaard.html
Latest Review: "SCRUMstudy-SBOK-Guide-2013" by Scrumstudy

Official Review: Time is the Water in Which We Swim

Post by lnygaard »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Time is the Water in Which We Swim" by Gryffyd Eamonn Dempsey.]
Book Cover for 1949
Share This Review

Ray’s plane is crashing into the earth. His wife is screaming beside him as they plummet down and then the force of the plane crash rips them apart. But instead of plunging to his death, he lands in a Japanese garden where a Koi speaks to him. This is the beginning of Time is the Water in Which We Swim by Gryffyd Eamonn Dempsey.

Ray is ensnared by the mysterious power of the fish and is forced to follow his command. It takes him on a journey from the upper regions of Canada down to Portland, Oregon. They are joined by a wandering army, the last of a resistance to an Alien attack.

Ray’s daughter and son, Viv and Primo, watch airplanes fall out of the sky and assume their parents have died in the wreck. As they return home, they realize that time has stopped (or has it fast forwarded?) and all that is left of their neighborhood is dilapidated houses and mad dogs who have taken over.

The story mainly follows Viv’s journey as she fights crazed monkeys, dogs and the mysterious X that has appeared on the horizon. Despite the exciting first few pages, the story seems to jump from one plot point to the next and doesn’t have a clear destination. Is she trying to destroy X? Or is she just trying to survive? Or is she trying to find love?

This books seems to have everything, from lesbian lovers, to an alien exhibition where aliens choose hosts and display them like those cat shows that come to town. Not especially well written, this futuristic Sci-fi has more than one or two sentence structures that make a reader wince. Or maybe that was supposed to be artistic? It’s hard to say since most of the time you really have no idea what is going on.

As a whole, the story is promising. If I just read a dust jacket, I would probably pick it up. It promises a cheesy, gruesome novel. Aliens, mind controlling fish, end of humanity, what’s not to love? The author, however, did not flush the story out enough or give enough details to keep the reader going, let alone interested. The characters were not endearing or even hate worthy. By the end I was pretty indifferent to their fates.

On the whole I would rate Time is the Water in Which We Swim a 2 out of 4. It wasn't really my cup of tea. There was a lot of unnecessary swearing and the various quotes of rap songs, intended as a joke, kind of left me scratching my head. But if aliens and “Let’s Get Retarded” are your thing, you may enjoy this book.

Buy "Time is the Water in Which We Swim" on Amazon
Buy "Time is the Water in Which We Swim" on Barnes and Noble
RussetDivinity
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-russetdivinity.html
Latest Review: "Heart of Flint" by Scott Stricklen

Post by RussetDivinity »

When I read the first few paragraphs of the review, I started getting excited, since this looked fascinating and like nothing I've ever read before. It looks like I'll pass, though, since while I have no problem with swearing, I'm not sure what I would think of random rap quotes, unless they're from particularly good songs or meant to show atmosphere.
Latest Review: "Heart of Flint" by Scott Stricklen
lnygaard

Post by lnygaard »

RussetDivinity wrote:When I read the first few paragraphs of the review, I started getting excited, since this looked fascinating and like nothing I've ever read before.
When I was telling the story to my brother, he kept saying things like, "epic!" and "why don't you like this again?". The story itself is pretty funny to relate, but I couldn't help but think "this is a bunch of bologny" while I was reading it.

Thanks for looking at my review. :D
Mickaila
Favorite Author: Edgar Allan Poe
Favorite Book: The Iliad
Currently Reading: Most Evil by Michael Stone
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mickaila.html
Latest Review: "Liar Lindly Brandt" by Aften Brook Szymanski
fav_author_id: 4642

Post by Mickaila »

This book literally seems "Epic" I must get it, could be a conversation piece in my home. Great review!
Latest Review: "Liar Lindly Brandt" by Aften Brook Szymanski
lnygaard

Post by lnygaard »

Mickaila wrote:This book literally seems "Epic" I must get it, could be a conversation piece in my home. Great review!
Thank you! Definitely a conversation starter.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”